Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,083,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
as long as you can get a big box of morton's at the supermarket what is the problem? you can salt your food all you want. we should not allow food companies to put into food what ever they think they should, remember red dye #5? MSG? all the rest? do we need 6 cups of sugar in our cookies or will 1 cup do? if it isn't sweet enough or have enough salt in it I can always add more.
Exactly! Doesn't take rocket science, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,944,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Exactly! Doesn't take rocket science, does it?
Right. I have never seen so much paranoia in my life. We get way more salt than we need, what is the problem here? We are addicted to salt, sugar and fat but are still free to eat as much of it was we want. People are dying because of this yet someone is upset because the FDA is going to regulate how much salt goes into food before you buy it. We may as well do away with all the laws and make this anarchy since some people seem to think all laws and regulations are a bad thing.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,003,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Great post.

It's NOT ABOUT "the nanny state" blah blah blah - it's about the FDA finally waking up and actually negotiating with the MANUFACTURERS
Actually it is about a nanny state. There is a difference between educating and dictating. It is a manufacturer's livelihood to make a product that tastes good to its consumers in order to sell it. If it doesn't taste good, it will not sell. It is a consumer's right to buy what they want and to eat what they want. Moderation of such is
a personal responsibility, not a governmental one.

As far as folks with health issues involving salt. Health care professionals should pass out a brochure listing the store bought foods that have high sodium in them. Then ignorance will not be a defense for non compliance in their health care.

Better yet, taste is acquired. Start with your babies. Give them no salt. But once again, that's a personal responsibility - not a governmental one.

Anything the government does "for your own good"
involving personal choice is a crock.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:24 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,778,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

washingtonpost.com

Another example of gov we know whats best for you. You make your own choices pfft you arent smart enough

Wake up people seriously
DO you know how much as a nation we spend on health related problems every year? hundreds of billions.

It is of national importance to regulate the food produced in this nation. If you wanna eat a tablespoon of salt everyday, go ahead, that is still your perogative.

We are one of the unhealthiest nations in the world and salt is the leading offender. It causes heart disease, high cholosterol, liver and kidney problems, high blood pressure and hypertension.

But go ahead and eat up.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM

18,349 posts, read 18,966,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Actually it is about a nanny state. There is a difference between educating and dictating. It is a manufacturer's livelihood to make a product that tastes good to its consumers in order to sell it. If it doesn't taste good, it will not sell. It is a consumer's right to buy what they want and to eat what they want. Moderation of such is

As far as folks with health issues involving salt. Health care professionals should pass out a brochure listing the store bought foods that have high sodium in them. Then ignorance will not be a defense for non compliance in their health care.

Better yet, taste is acquired. Start with your babies. Give them no salt. But once again, that's a personal responsibility - not a governmental one.

and if the FDA did not step in people would be up in arms that they let it go unregulated.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,942 times
Okay by me. So many processed foods are reeking of salt. I like salt, but I use vinegar for a bit of tang, and vinegar has no sodium. I compromise. That way, I can eat olives, and fries with salt. I like salt free foods. That way, I am in charge of my salt shaker. I shake it into my palm first, because a lot of shakers have holes that are too big.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,293,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Okay by me. So many processed foods are reeking of salt. I like salt, but I use vinegar for a bit of tang, and vinegar has no sodium. I compromise. That way, I can eat olives, and fries with salt. I like salt free foods. That way, I am in charge of my salt shaker. I shake it into my palm first, because a lot of shakers have holes that are too big.
I use vinegar for my flavorful potassium source.

I don't like having to chomp apple after apple to get potassium.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,083,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Right. I have never seen so much paranoia in my life. We get way more salt than we need, what is the problem here? We are addicted to salt, sugar and fat but are still free to eat as much of it was we want. People are dying because of this yet someone is upset because the FDA is going to regulate how much salt goes into food before you buy it. We may as well do away with all the laws and make this anarchy since some people seem to think all laws and regulations are a bad thing.
A few months back some poster became enraged when he read an article that stated cow feces was present in commercially ground beef and suggested not eating it. The poster was upset that someone was telling him not to eat burgers. Only an idiot rallies against their own best interests and nowhere is it more obvious than on CD.

As soon as they hear that the government is regulating something, they freak out. They have no clue that without much of this governement regulation, we would be poisoned in short order if left up to corporate America.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,025,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A few months back some poster became enraged when he read an article that stated cow feces was present in commercially ground beef and suggested not eating it. The poster was upset that someone was telling him not to eat burgers. Only an idiot rallies against their own best interests and nowhere is it more obvious than on CD.

As soon as they hear that the government is regulating something, they freak out. They have no clue that without much of this governement regulation, we would be poisoned in short order if left up to corporate America.
Its the legacy of Ayn Rand and Friedman at work.

Despite the fact that the myth of the divine free market was shattered ala the Great Crash, too many have yet to awaken from the wet dream Reagan duped us into.

There are too many TBTF oligopolies and they have to be cut down to size.

We also need campaign finance reform to make sure officials serve the public interest.

But given the public's admiration of the Becks, Palins and Hiltons of the world it is not surprising the mess we are in right now.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,944,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

So traffic lights, speed limits, schools and police officers are a crock? How about expiration or "best by" dates? You can add salt but you can't take it away. Some people think some of his food tastes bad because it's too salty. You can salt to taste but you can't unsalt. People who need low sodium foods still buy things that are over salted. Why not try to see the big picture here? Are you so anti-government that you can't see how much tax payer money goes to the paying for health related issues that can be prevented? What exactly do you think that the government is trying to accomplish by requiring food companies to add less salt? Not everything the government does is bad. You still have the right to add as much salt to your food as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies