Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I don't know what 'white' music is...no music is 'white'...all music has a mix of cultural influences to it...Even Led Zeplin has a heavy southern Blues influence to his style...

The Beatles were inspired by the likes of 'Muddy Waters' and 'BB King' and other delta blues men.

There really is no such thing as 'white' music...for no music is created in a vaccum....

One of my favorite songs of all time is this one here by Hank and Waylon Jennings...
As a kid...Hank Jr was heavily influenced by the likes of 'Fat's Dominoes'...and other A-American bee bop boogie woogie artist of that era..

Hank Sr would drop his son off at these artists houses and they would teach him the 'soul' side of music...and you can hear their influence in Bo Sephues even today...

Hank Jr even attended the funeral of Walter Payton...the black running back who played with the Bears and Colts...

Hank Jr has soul...and so does Waylon...

YouTube - Waylon Jennings & Hank Williams Jr - The Conversation
Still, several genres are considered typical white music these days, regardless of their roots. Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Classical, Country, Punk etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Default Music is about style, not color...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Still, several genres are considered typical white music these days, regardless of their roots. Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Classical, Country, Punk etc.
It depends on who's doing the defining...me, I don't consider them 'white'...I just consider it a style of music...

And maybe that's why I'm able to thrust myself into so many styles of people and song...cause I don't look or define things in terms of color...

Art is simply an expression of style...

I grew up around 'rockers'...and if you could 'rock', you were in...color did not matter...

Kapeesh?

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Stockholm - The Wind Cries Mary (live 1967)

Last edited by Time and Space; 04-23-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 01:09 PM

You may see it that way, I don't see it that way at all. I feel a difference, which is not to say one is good and the other bad. Nor do I think white people can't make black music and vice versa. I remember those countless comments on Bobby Caldwell's What you won't do for love video on Youtube
Since you posted the video, Hendrix did not make black music in my view. I never liked his stuff.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You may see it that way, I don't see it that way at all. I feel a difference, which is not to say one is good and the other bad. Nor do I think white people can't make black music and vice versa. I remember those countless comments on Bobby Caldwell's What you won't do for love video on Youtube
Since you posted the video, Hendrix did not make black music in my view. I never liked his stuff.
Regardless of whether you liked him or not...millions of others around the world do and did...and he has influenced 1000's of aspiring garage bands...

And again...you seem to see or break everything down in terms of 'black' or 'white'...
I don't...I break things down in terms of 'style' and 'expression'....

And that's why I'm me...and am able to merge in and out of all groups...cause I see soul and personality...not a thin layer of skin...

Kapeesh?

Last edited by Time and Space; 04-23-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
How come you find very little diversity in the 'Hood'?

How come everyone in the hood has the same rap or r&b ring tones?
How come no one puts up Halloween decors or x-mas decors in the hood?
How come males always frown and hardly ever smile or laugh in the hood?

Of all the communities I've lived in, I find the 'hood' to be the least creative, most hostile place I've existed in.
And I find or see very little diversity, if any.

It's like everyone thinks the same, talks the same, has the same style, listens to the same music...no diversity at all...why is that?

Sometimes I think rap music has stripped the hood of any diversity it may have use to have...all I hear in the hood, (at least the southern hood) is this dry, bland sounding southern rap mess...or some R&B tune.

Why do people so limit themselves culturely in the hood?
Which """Hood""" are you talking about?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Regardless of whether you liked him or not...millions of others around the world do and did...and he has influenced 1000's of aspiring garage bands...

And again...you seem to see or break everything down in terms of 'black' or 'white'...
I don't...I break things down in 'style' and 'expression'....

And that's why I'm me...and am able to merge in and out of all groups...cause I see soul and personality...not a thin layer of skin...

Kapeesh?
As I said, no problem. You see it that way, others don't. I guess you have not even understood what I said. You mention skin, as if I had said anything about that. To the contrary I clearly stated that there are whites (and even Asians) who make black music, and there are blacks who make white music. Black music in my opinion is a cultural thing, not a race thing. I make music myself, it is clearly black music, although I am white. And it is logical as I grew up listening to that music all the time. I don't feel the need for musical eclecticism.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Which """Hood""" are you talking about?
This is a very good and clever question....

'Which hood am I refering too'....very clever...

By asking such a question...you force me to play my hand...as in Poker...
You indeed are clever...no one else asked that question...rather they just did a lot of 'assuming' or 'personalization'....

Ok...the hood I'm refering to is the A-American community within the bounderies of large major cities....

I'm not refering to the Russian hood or Palestinian hood or Irish hood or Italian hood or Brazilian hood or any other hood...again...not that we will ever agree on anything else...but I must give you props for trying to understand the question, before you went further....

Old 04-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
As I said, no problem. You see it that way, others don't. I guess you have not even understood what I said. You mention skin, as if I had said anything about that. To the contrary I clearly stated that there are whites (and even Asians) who make black music, and there are blacks who make white music. Black music in my opinion is a cultural thing, not a race thing. I make music myself, it is clearly black music, although I am white. And it is logical as I grew up listening to that music all the time. I don't feel the need for musical eclecticism.
Ok, now I will hug you...come here...big hug.....

But again...I don't know 'white' music...maybe European cultural music as in Opera or bock...classical music...ye...that's pure European influenced music...but all those violins are in a lot of Disco hits from the 1970's and Barry White music...Kapeesh?

Hardly any music is culturely pure anymore...

Now another hug as I mess up your hair...

Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM

That you meant the AA one was quite clear. What I am wondering is whether it is the same in different cities. I assume there are differences between, say Detroit, L.A., Dallas, NY or Philadelphia

Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Ok, now I will hug you...come here...big hug.....

But again...I don't know 'white' music...maybe European cultural music as in Opera or bock...classical music...ye...that's pure European influenced music...but all those violins are in a lot of Disco hits from the 1970's and Barry White music...Kapeesh?

Hardly any music is culturely pure anymore...

Now another hug as I mess up your hair...
Barry White, I liked his music. But despite the violins it was black music. Ecstasy for instance, very black despite the strings.
I guess artists such as Erykah Badu would be pissed if you said their music is anything but black. They are proud to make black music, it is not an insult, but a compliment if the music in itself is good

Don't worry about the hair, it is just about 5mm long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies