Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Doesn't mean much to me. I'm still in favor of increasing energy efficiency and less air pollution.
And who isn't?

I do everything reasonable I can to reduce my energy use to save money but don't peddle a false science to make me do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
i was going to come back to defend my point, but it looks like RocketSci has been so deeply buried into oblivion, i guess i don't have too.

global warming is a myth FTW!

(DISLCAIMER: whether or not world is coming to an end, I recycle, I reduce water usage by turning off the water when I brush my teeth, I dispose of computer parts and batteries properly and I have participated in Boy Scout functions that promote this. no use in damaging the environment if we can avoid it)

Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
As I said it is ONE NAIL. but it is very much a sold nail.
Abour as solid as those mobile chemical weapons labs were as proof that Iraq had WMD. Weather balloon trucks. Pfffft!!!

Look, it's painfully obvious that your little group is merely trying to mask its poltical opposition to spending money on dealing with climate issues by seeking to cloak it in science. Real science however weighs quite heavily against you, so you have to fight with the army you've got or can dredge up from the muck -- faux-science, blog-science, Exxon-funded science. Your heros end up being TV weathermen, journalists, mining engineers, and maintenance managers at South Seas island resorts. The whole effort is a colossal waste of time on your part, but it's certainly your right to undertake it. You'll convince no one and make yourselves look foolish in the process, but whatever turns you on...

Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You even said that with a straight face! LOL! and you are going to suggest that as invested in AGW as the British government is, that there was any chance at all that their finding would have been otherwise? Laughable at best. Note to those playing along at home. There was not a single skeptic on the panel.
Note to those playing along at home....

This is an example of the Principle of Foregone Conclusions, one which the side represented by this poster applies quite liberally when troubled by such things as overwhelming evidence and consensus opinion that stands entirely contrary to their own.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
who isnt?

but the question is, are you fine with persuing policy that is designed to defeat something that is proven time and again to be myth?

the bottom line is, if there was a Medieval Warm Period, and it was as warm or warmer than today, then the current warm period cannot be seen as unique and man caused.

this paper goes a long way to re-proving that..... again....

Nope. The paper does state or imply any of the things you suggest. It discusses an earlier warm period which nobody disputes in the first place. What you have is a fella talking out of school about something he obviously doesn't understand. We'd be better off having a lemur explain a locomotive to us than have people like this flap their jaws about global warming.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Abour as solid as those mobile chemical weapons labs were as proof that Iraq had WMD. Weather balloon trucks. Pfffft!!!

Look, it's painfully obvious that your little group is merely trying to mask its poltical opposition to spending money on dealing with climate issues by seeking to cloak it in science. Real science however weighs quite heavily against you, so you have to fight with the army you've got or can dredge up from the muck -- faux-science, blog-science, Exxon-funded science. Your heros end up being TV weathermen, journalists, mining engineers, and maintenance managers at South Seas island resorts. The whole effort is a colossal waste of time on your part, but it's certainly your right to undertake it. You'll convince no one and make yourselves look foolish in the process, but whatever turns you on...

I see you still refuse to discuss the actual science this thread is about.

typical and silly but that is about what we get from your side.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Nope. The paper does state or imply any of the things you suggest. It discusses an earlier warm period which nobody disputes in the first place. What you have is a fella talking out of school about something he obviously doesn't understand. We'd be better off having a lemur explain a locomotive to us than have people like this flap their jaws about global warming.

LOL! speaking of lemurs explaining things! I suspect you feel like you just made a brilliant point.

I will counter it with 2 names and 2 words.

Michael Mann
Phil Jones.

Hockey Stick.

Now go forth and learn the meanings thereof. Then come back and appoligize for the above post! LOLOLOLOL!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I see you still refuse to discuss the actual science this thread is about. typical and silly but that is about what we get from your side.
This thread isn't about any sort of science at all. It's just another boring chapter in an already much too long work of fiction. You guys seriously need to bring a competent editor on board along with a few researchers to do fact-checking for you. Of course, by the time they got done with you, there would be nothing much left to publish, but there you go...

Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 AM

and Faatchance2005, thank you for bumping my post related to MWP and its existance.

let me say it again. if the MWP was as warm or warmer than the modern warm period, then the Modern warm period cannot be seen as unique and man caused.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
LOL! speaking of lemurs explaining things! I suspect you feel like you just made a brilliant point. I will counter it with 2 names and 2 words. Michael Mann Phil Jones. Hockey Stick. Now go forth and learn the meanings thereof. Then come back and appoligize for the above post! LOLOLOLOL!
The post in question raises direct and legitimate challenges to what would appear to be false and/or extraneous claims made in the article you cited. Your response to it is...foppish grand-standing. And you claim to be about science. Go sit in the corner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies