U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Close gun hole loop hole?
Close it, require a background check, and require registration 18 45.00%
Don't close it, please explain your reason 19 47.50%
Other (please explain) 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM

24,874 posts, read 22,285,734 times

Advertisements

Columbine and Va. Tech Families Take On Gun Show ‘Loophole’ - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

Saw an add for this today. Saying that the Senate is looking to shut down the gun hole, because its been 11 years since Columbine.

I talked to a buddy today, who sales firearms for a living. I wanted to get his opinion.

He said that it doesn't matter. They are only shutting down Gun Shows.

See, for those that don't know, at Gunshows you can simply walk in, and walk out with a firearm, with no background check. However, this is perfectly legal, turns out. You can do it in Wal-Mart parking lot to.

All the bill would do, is to shut down the gun show.

I think if they want to track guns, they should just require a license, even for a person to person sale, regardless of where it takes place.

To me, if they pass a law that only prohibits this only at "Gun Shows" its really a pointless law.

I really don't see a reason to pass it at all, just don't allow sales to minors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM

17,605 posts, read 23,720,320 times
There's no legitimate reason to ban private sales between neighbors, friends, etc.

Do you really believe criminals won't continue selling without going to a dealer and paying $30 or more to fill out a piece of paper?

The intent behind this is entirely about making guns more difficult to get for the law abiding. Many people are wrong denied or delayed by the NICS when buying from dealers every year.

Furthermore, it's intrastate commerce not interstate commerce.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 PM

383 posts, read 193,177 times
NO! Leave it alone! The last thing we need is more anti 2nd amendment laws.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,531,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Columbine and Va. Tech Families Take On Gun Show ‘Loophole’ - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

Saw an add for this today. Saying that the Senate is looking to shut down the gun hole, because its been 11 years since Columbine.

I talked to a buddy today, who sales firearms for a living. I wanted to get his opinion.

He said that it doesn't matter. They are only shutting down Gun Shows.

See, for those that don't know, at Gunshows you can simply walk in, and walk out with a firearm, with no background check. However, this is perfectly legal, turns out. You can do it in Wal-Mart parking lot to.

All the bill would do, is to shut down the gun show.

I think if they want to track guns, they should just require a license, even for a person to person sale, regardless of where it takes place.

To me, if they pass a law that only prohibits this only at "Gun Shows" its really a pointless law.

I really don't see a reason to pass it at all, just don't allow sales to minors.
Perhaps the better way to go about this is to require proof of screening at point of sale. I'd rather not see gun shows hurt, but columbine happened when a just over the age limit purchased for them (same way some adults buy ciggies for kids). The gun show vendor was being responsible, the person he sold it to was not. Proof of screening would allow LE swifter tracking in chain of custody exonerating the innocent. Had columbine weapons passed through 5 sets of hands, one set of hands gave them to minors, and that one was culpable, not the 5, not the vendor, not the manufacturer.

I'm thinking that loophole in the walmart parking lot should be a higher priority than gun shows.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,531,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's no legitimate reason to ban private sales between neighbors, friends, etc.
If your best friend is a convict on parole, I've got a problem with the both of you.

Quote:
Do you really believe criminals won't continue selling without going to a dealer and paying $30 or more to fill out a piece of paper?
Yes criminals will. And that's how LE can sort out the good guys from the bad guys swiftly in investigations after the fact of crime.

Quote:
The intent behind this is entirely about making guns more difficult to get for the law abiding.
False. The intent is to impose order. The way they're going about it might result in what you're concerned about if it's done sloppy, but it isn't their intent. That's propaganda.

Quote:
Many people are wrong denied or delayed by the NICS when buying from dealers every year.
Delayed- what's the hurry? Wrongful denial can be argued legally and if I saw abuses there most americans would argue your cause. Retracting a gun out of the hands of criminals after the fact is finding out the hard way.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
If your best friend is a convict on parole, I've got a problem with the both of you.

Yes criminals will. And that's how LE can sort out the good guys from the bad guys swiftly in investigations after the fact of crime.
You just admitted it will do nothing but cause problems and cost money to the law abiding.

Quote:
False. The intent is to impose order. The way they're going about it might result in what you're concerned about if it's done sloppy, but it isn't their intent. That's propaganda.
This whole claim of a "loophole" existing was created by the gun control lobby when their other efforts against the second amendment failed. They want to make the whole country like CA.

Quote:
Delayed- what's the hurry? Wrongful denial can be argued legally and if I saw abuses there most americans would argue your cause. Retracting a gun out of the hands of criminals after the fact is finding out the hard way.
Some people only go out and buy guns when their lives are in danger. For instance, abusive ex's. It is absolutely unacceptable.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM

24,046 posts, read 12,253,016 times
Quote:
This whole claim of a "loophole" existing was created by the gun control lobby when their other efforts against the second amendment failed. They want to make the whole country like CA.
I have personally purchased a S&W .22 Kit Gun from a "dealer" at a gun show here in SC with no paperwork, proof of identity - nothing. If I hadn't written my name on an index card and given it to the so-called "dealer", there would have been no paperwork of any type.

In 30 minutes I could have gone to K-mart for ammo and shot up downtown Columbia.

This scenario where if you can put money on the counter you can own a pistol regardless of your background, mental state, or curent intent needs to be completely eliminated.

There should be a mandatory background check before a sale can take place, and a record of the sale filed with LE complete with ourchaser, type of handgun, and serial number.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have personally purchased a S&W .22 Kit Gun from a "dealer" at a gun show here in SC with no paperwork, proof of identity - nothing. If I hadn't written my name on an index card and given it to the so-called "dealer", there would have been no paperwork of any type.

In 30 minutes I could have gone to K-mart for ammo and shot up downtown Columbia.

This scenario where if you can put money on the counter you can own a pistol regardless of your background, mental state, or curent intent needs to be completely eliminated.

There should be a mandatory background check before a sale can take place, and a record of the sale filed with LE complete with ourchaser, type of handgun, and serial number.
So? You can order cap and ball revolvers all day long through the mail too.

That wasn't a gun dealer if they didn't do a 4473, it was just an individual selling a gun.

You can go around yard sales in Vermont and find guns all over. We're also one of the safest states.

Believing a gun law like this would do anything about crime is simply absurd. If I wanted to sell a gun to someone if it passed, who would ever know unless I told someone?

The police have no business knowing about the personal posessions of an individual.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM

7,481 posts, read 7,026,638 times
banning gun shows will stop gun shows nothing more. plus my local highschool will loose the extra money

Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 PM

20,003 posts, read 16,657,135 times
Enough with the cr@p!

Add is spelled ad, and loose is spelled lose in your local context.

GD...I hope y'all aren't college graduates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies