Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
It seems like the liberals want to ban nearly everything. If they find that something is bad for us, they want to ban or severly restrict it instead of informing us (assuming we don't already know) and allowing us to make up our own minds about the issue -- like ADULTS!

Why are the liberals so Anti-American in this respect?
What are you talking about?
Source or screed?
Yep, in Texas they're banning Thomas Jefferson in their history books; some want to ban Harry Potter books.

No need to look any farther than the tip of your nose for banning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 PM

36 posts, read 19,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What are you talking about?
Source or screed?
Yep, in Texas they're banning Thomas Jefferson in their history books; some want to ban Harry Potter books.

No need to look any farther than the tip of your nose for banning.
Yes, but don't you see? Salt is very very important!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,756 times
You know I used to believe this same logic. A soda tax? A fat tax? Cigarette taxes going through the roof? If these people are stupid enough to do it let them!

But then I joined the real world and figured out, right or wrong this is just the way it has to be. If people in general were smart enough to make the smart decision then we wouldn't have obesity skyrocketing, we wouldn't have as many people still smoking as we have. So if it takes taxing it to death to make people change their habits I'm for it. I'm definately not for the Republican ideal that you just let corporate america decide whats good and bad for us based on popularity and profits.

Here's the thing, the 'free-marketeer republican talk-radiots' hate this stuff because they would rather see a company have record profits from selling 'Salt-Cookies' than to have 15,000 kids avoid some disease because they don't grow up eating 'Salt-Cookies' thanks to some 'evil government regulation'. Thing is in the long run the kids not growing up addicted to 'salt-cookies' and eating healthier will probably do more to help the 'free market', these people are just too ignorant to understand that.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
whats a salt cookie. are the territories franchised? can i get a route?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 PM

36 posts, read 19,016 times
I actually wonder how much longer the tobacco industry is going to be buying our political reps...I mean, I still smoke & a lot of my friends still smoke occasionally but that has been waning now w/the new generation. Sooner or later, tobacco is going down the tubes & w/that the contributions to the republican party. Interesting to see for sure.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
whats a salt cookie. are the territories franchised? can i get a route?
Well sadly you can no longer get a franchise. Thanks to the evil, communist, facist, marxist, anti faux-news, puppy-hating obama...salt-cookie franchises have been banned. I know I know...who cares if they were proven to deterioate peoples health by 45%, jesus dies on the cross for the free-market and it's our god-given right to make and sell any garbage we want as long as it helps corporate america because as republicans and loyal talk-radiots we all know the corporations are who we have to thank for putting food on our tables!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
No. We will foot the bill ONLY if the gov't takes it over. If we keep the system we have now, we can just charge the unhealthy people MORE MONEY, and stop paying for everything like check ups.

If we start letting the gov't do things in our best interests, you will be surprised what suddenly will be deemed to be in our best interests.

Charles
Hate to break it to you, but the healthy / wealthy people already pay for the poor people.

Emergency rooms are poor peoples' doctor, and the cost of all their medical care when they don't pay their bills is built into your insurance.

Obama passed a law to change that, but somehow they still fight him. They fight him about everything, even if Sarah Palin herself already did it in Alaska (like when she jacked up the taxes on oil corporations and spread the wealth to the people).

Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Well, abortion is killing a baby. Even if you don't see it that way, it promotes irresponcible(sp) behavior. Why act right if you can just obort one after the other (in theory), while spreading diseases.

I would not ban welfare. It is a misconception that Cons. want to ban all welfare. We just don't want it to be a lifestyle. I can be a help meet (Bible Term for you there!) in down times until you get back on your feet.

Gays have the same rights as the rest of us. The rules of marriage are not the purvue of the gov't - marriage is a religious union. The fact that gov't uses it to make money and keep track of legal issues changes nothing.

I agree with the right to die with dignity. I would not ban that, nor would I ristrict it.

We can't teach creation because someone thinks there is really a separation of Church and State.

Again, there is no separation of Church and State. The Constitution simply says that Congress can't make any law about religion one way or the other, and goes on to say that it can't limit the FREE EXCERCISE thereof.

For people (libs), many of whom say the Constitution is out of date and doesn't mean anything anymore, you really rely on it when it is convenient.

and last, as for my OP. If I do a wrong thing, you are NOT wrong if YOU do it? That is what you said when you listed things that we supposedly want to ban - saying since you have one too, it is OK for us to have one.

Charles
Not a "baby" until it's born.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Well sadly you can no longer get a franchise. Thanks to the evil, communist, facist, marxist, anti faux-news, puppy-hating obama...salt-cookie franchises have been banned. I know I know...who cares if they were proven to deterioate peoples health by 45%, jesus dies on the cross for the free-market and it's our god-given right to make and sell any garbage we want as long as it helps corporate america because as republicans and loyal talk-radiots we all know the corporations are who we have to thank for putting food on our tables!!!!!!!
Your sarcasm will be lost on the numbskulls, but I thoroughly enjoyed it...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Your sarcasm will be lost on the numbskulls, but I thoroughly enjoyed it...
Yeah, sadly you are correct. I will get at least a couple PM's telling me about some tea-party website, movement, and/or event. 'Hey awesome post, it's about time we tell those bastards to stay out of our lives. Go here and show your support....' Then again if everybody had enough sense to understand it as you did, we wouldn't have the situation we have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies