Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,622,459 times

Advertisements

And yet, few, if any, in NJ are willing to give up the 'home rule' that has created all of these mini-fiefdoms (see attached link) all with their own governments, school systems (including superintendents), etc.

The town that I lived in NJ was 3/4 of a square mile, had all of ~7000 residents and yet, we still had our own police dept., school district (elementary, JHS and HS), crazy high property taxes because the town has no ratables, and still no one would discuss merging any of these services with another (larger) town. My son's graduating HS class had all of 52 kids.

The NJEA is an easy target because no one wants to do the real 'dirty' work and consolidate because people want to keep being able to say that their town has a 16/1 student-teacher ratio (as it is in my old town).

Oh well, when the varsity football programs are cut, I expect people may feel a little differently.

List of school districts in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM

29,972 posts, read 18,537,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
For the first time in 34 years. The People are awakening to the corrupt influence of Public Unions.

NJ voters reject majority of school budgets for first time in 34 years | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record

Ah................ liberalism at its best. It can take a good educational system and just ruin it.

Keep in mind that in the 1960s, the ratio of adminstrators to teachers was 1:20. Now, thanks to the teacher's union, it is 1:3.

Public education stinks now, and the parochial school system can educate kids for half the price and produce better test scores.

The whole public school system needs to be dismantled and farmed out to private interests or the parochial system.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM

470 posts, read 460,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And yet, few, if any, in NJ are willing to give up the 'home rule' that has created all of these mini-fiefdoms (see attached link) all with their own governments, school systems (including superintendents), etc.

The town that I lived in NJ was 3/4 of a square mile, had all of ~7000 residents and yet, we still had our own police dept., school district (elementary, JHS and HS), crazy high property taxes because the town has no ratables, and still no one would discuss merging any of these services with another (larger) town. My son's graduating HS class had all of 52 kids.

The NJEA is an easy target because no one wants to do the real 'dirty' work and consolidate because people want to keep being able to say that their town has a 16/1 student-teacher ratio (as it is in my old town).

Oh well, when the varsity football programs are cut, I expect people may feel a little differently.

List of school districts in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are right about the districts. It is a good ole boys club in NJ and these many districts are used to launder money to friends and family by providing them jobs. It needs to be reworked big time. As far as the teachers go, they need to stop being selfish and do their part to help out during this economic mess. The public workers in NJ (CWA) are all participating in the same cuts that are expected of the teachers. Here's another kicker....Most teachers say that they don't do it for the money and only do it for the kids. That is a bunch of crap and a plain out lie. Gov. Christie said that any money that get's cut from the teachers will come back to their school districts in their budget so no programs will get cut. The teachers HATED that idea! Shows that they are NOT in it for the kids and are only being selfishly greedy. There are 2 or 3 NJEA locals that cut ties with the rest of NJEA and are willing to go along with the cuts. They "get it" atleast.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,622,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
You are right about the districts. It is a good ole boys club in NJ and these many districts are used to launder money to friends and family by providing them jobs. It needs to be reworked big time. As far as the teachers go, they need to stop being selfish and do their part to help out during this economic mess. The public workers in NJ (CWA) are all participating in the same cuts that are expected of the teachers. Here's another kicker....Most teachers say that they don't do it for the money and only do it for the kids. That is a bunch of crap and a plain out lie. Gov. Christie said that any money that get's cut from the teachers will come back to their school districts in their budget so no programs will get cut. The teachers HATED that idea! Shows that they are NOT in it for the kids and are only being selfishly greedy. There are 2 or 3 NJEA locals that cut ties with the rest of NJEA and are willing to go along with the cuts. They "get it" atleast.
How exactly will that happen when the Governor has already made huge cuts ($475 million) in what the state will send to the districts? Are you saying that he is basically blackmailing the districts into firing teachers?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,066,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Nonsense. The people of NJ are unwilling to pay the real cost of educating their childern. Let them try doing it by themselves as well as the public schools. Home schooling only produces uneducated ideologs with few social skills.

Besides why should being a teacher require a vow of poverty? Being a lawyers does not and IMHO teachers are much more value to society than lawyers.

As a parent of home schooled children I can tell you don't know what the h*ll you are talking about. My kids test better and they are far more socially adept then their indoctrinated drones in the public schools. They are very involved in the community, learning social skills with adults as well; you know things like respect, dignity and decorum, something seriously lacking in kids now days.

What they will NOT learn is that people who live lives of perversion are normal or El Gordo is telling the truth. My kids do not spend time on being told how little Johnny thinks he is a girl.

Most schools are a cesspool of liberal teachers who have an agenda and it is not reading, writing and arithmetic. Good for this state waking up!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,038,093 times
The New Jersey Education Association, the state’s teachers’ union, estimated that as many as 6,000 teachers and 10,000 other school workers would lose their jobs under the proposed budgets.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a8lOfoCwXbLo&pos=8

The NJEA has no one to blame but itself.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM

272 posts, read 294,867 times
Sparta teachers took a pay freeze and are paying toward health care as Christie wanted and their town still didn't pass the budget. For all those who believed that if only teachers would take a pay freeze we wouldn't have to lay off teachers. I'm betting those teachers in Sparta are sorry they took a pay freeze.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM

289 posts, read 310,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
As a parent of home schooled children I can tell you don't know what the h*ll you are talking about. My kids test better and they are far more socially adept then their indoctrinated drones in the public schools. They are very involved in the community, learning social skills with adults as well; you know things like respect, dignity and decorum, something seriously lacking in kids now days.

What they will NOT learn is that people who live lives of perversion are normal or El Gordo is telling the truth. My kids do not spend time on being told how little Johnny thinks he is a girl.

Most schools are a cesspool of liberal teachers who have an agenda and it is not reading, writing and arithmetic. Good for this state waking up!
Well, if your children are learning the "respect, dignity, and decorum" you demonstrate in this post, maybe they're not learning the true lesson as well as you might think.

Then again, with such an attitude, I suppose they are learning exactly the lesson you intended.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:37 PM

10,812 posts, read 14,879,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Broad general statements like this are usually false. Most homeschooled children are so well educated that they enter college with high SAT scores. In many areas, the homeschooled children participate in EC activities at public schools. Throwing more money at education has not produced better results, only richer teacher's unions.
HOME-SCHOOLING: Outstanding results on national tests
Quote:
The study included almost 12,000 home-school students from all 50 states who took three well-known standardized achievements tests — the California Achievement Test, the Iowa Test of Basic Skills and the Stanford Achievement Test — for the 2007-08 academic year. The students were drawn from 15 independent testing services, making it the most comprehensive home-school academic study to date.

The results reinforced previous home-school studies conducted over a period of 25 years.

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

The average public school student taking these standardized tests scored at the 50th percentile in each subject area.
HOME-SCHOOLING: Testing proves success of grads

Quote:
To address this criticism, the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) commissioned several studies to compare how home-schoolers score on standardized achievement tests compared to their public and private school counterparts.

The results of those tests demonstrated that on average, home-schooled children regularly outperformed their peer

snip

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,066,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfor View Post
Well, if your children are learning the "respect, dignity, and decorum" you demonstrate in this post, maybe they're not learning the true lesson as well as you might think.

Then again, with such an attitude, I suppose they are learning exactly the lesson you intended.

I wouldn't worry about my children or their charater. I can assure you they behave and act 100 times better than the kids of the liberals in town with their filthy mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies