Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times

Advertisements

The only thing I can think of is that there's no possibility an American can get killed. And it's not much different than flying an airplane, as it's so computerized, that the pilot might as well not be there anways. So why the outrage about drones?

Because Americans cannot get killed if there's no pilot in the plane to get shot down..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Who says we're against them?
I've got no issue with them being used to target known enemy combatants. I think that it is an excellent use of our impeccably trained military personnel and it keeps them out of harms way.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
pulls up a chair...

Old 04-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I see LOTS of complaints from the left about drones..

They're trying to say they are illegal and constitute war crimes.

Why? Because americans can't get killed.

Check out the ACLU's actions about drones.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM

Search | American Civil Liberties Union

The real objection is that an American cannot get killed, so libs think it's not "fair"

Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post

The ACLU actually said they are against them 'because Americans can't get killed.' Really?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:

Again,

Where are the liberals against drones?

"NEW YORK – The American Civil Liberties Union filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit today demanding that the government disclose the legal basis for its use of unmanned drones to conduct targeted killings overseas. In particular, the lawsuit asks for information on when, where and against whom drone strikes can be authorized, the number and rate of civilian casualties and other basic information essential for assessing the wisdom and legality of using armed drones to conduct targeted killings.

"The public has a right to know whether the targeted killings being carried out in its name are consistent with international law and with the country's interests and values," said Jonathan Manes, a legal fellow with the ACLU National Security Project. "The Obama administration should disclose basic information about the program, including its legal basis and limits, and the civilian casualty toll thus far."

Sounds to me like they aren't against drones, they just want to know how they are being used, and if they are being abused.

I don't know anyone who is against legal drone use.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
gotta hate the UNaclu.. and the rest of the idiots who believe foreign press reports about all the civilian casualties. Most of those numbers come from skewed sources and trash reporters that doctor photos as well.
No enemy is going to confirm we struck the intended target and that's why BDA never relies on their press reporting. We have intelligence and other ways of learning whether or not the action worked. The enemy will always tell you the target was a school, family enjoying a picnic in the park, or of course the wedding party. I'm surprised even the idiotic media can't realize how often a wedding party is hit. Do they actually believe a majority of the people in each country spend most of their time getting married?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again,

Where are the liberals against drones?

"NEW YORK – The American Civil Liberties Union filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit today demanding that the government disclose the legal basis for its use of unmanned drones to conduct targeted killings overseas. In particular, the lawsuit asks for information on when, where and against whom drone strikes can be authorized, the number and rate of civilian casualties and other basic information essential for assessing the wisdom and legality of using armed drones to conduct targeted killings.

"The public has a right to know whether the targeted killings being carried out in its name are consistent with international law and with the country's interests and values," said Jonathan Manes, a legal fellow with the ACLU National Security Project. "The Obama administration should disclose basic information about the program, including its legal basis and limits, and the civilian casualty toll thus far."

Sounds to me like they aren't against drones, they just want to know how they are being used, and if they are being abused.

I don't know anyone who is against legal drone use.
Yes, what you show PROVES my point. Would they be asking those questions if there were a pilot? no... The ONLY reason the drone bothers them is because no american can get killed.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, what you show PROVES my point. Would they be asking those questions if there were a pilot? no... The ONLY reason the drone bothers them is because no american can get killed.
Sorry, I think you are reading something into this that really isn't there.

Oh, and before you try to suggest that the ACLU hates the military:

Pendleton Marine back on Facebook - SignOnSanDiego.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies