Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times

Advertisements

Race factors into evaluation of Gerhart - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
All because he's a white college football runningback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
I read this story too, but there's something goofy going on here and I'm not buying into it. IMO some agent is out there is spinning things, and using race as a negotiating tool is obnoxious, black or white.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:36 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,171,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Race factors into evaluation of Gerhart - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
All because he's a white college football runningback.
Well the problem you got is he is being judged by white owners, white general managers and white coaches. Why do they hate white people?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:36 AM

383 posts, read 222,855 times
Yep read this yesterday. IMO he is the best running back in the draft. I mean come on he finished 2nd in the closest heisman race in history and the person who won it is not in the draft.I would love to see the Steeler's take him.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Well the problem you got is he is being judged by white owners, white general managers and white coaches. Why do they hate white people?
Hmm, I didn't see any photos of any of the scouts or general managers involved in his draft or are you just assuming they're all white men?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
Yep read this yesterday. IMO he is the best running back in the draft. I mean come on he finished 2nd in the closest heisman race in history and the person who won it is not in the draft.I would love to see the Steeler's take him.

He's a damn good running back. If he's that good, he will find a job in the NFL with no problem.

How could a bunch of white owners and coaches discriminate against Gerhart because he's white?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 AM

Besides, whatever race the scouts and general managers are is not the case. The case is judging his performace by his race.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,171,333 times
Quote:
Hmm, I didn't see any photos of any of the scouts or general managers involved in his draft or are you just assuming they're all white men?
How many black NFL owners do you know of?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:

The vast majority of them are.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
I just read the entire article.

One team I interviewed with asked me about being a white running back,” Gerhart says. “They asked if it made me feel entitled, or like I felt I was a poster child for white running backs. I said, ‘No, I’m just out there playing ball. I don’t think about that.’ I didn’t really know what to say.”

One longtime NFL scout insisted that Gerhart’s skin color will likely prevent the Pac-10’s offensive player of the year from being drafted in Thursday’s first round.

“He’ll be a great second-round pickup for somebody, but I guarantee you if he was the exact same guy – but he was black – he’d go in the first round for sure,” the scout said. “You could make a case that he’s a Steven Jackson-type – doesn’t have blazing speed but he’s strong and powerful and versatile.”

Now here is a comparison to Gerhart that I found interesting.

“There’s no reason I shouldn’t really like him, but I just don’t,” added another AFC personnel executive. “He’s not really shifty, but he gets yards. He’s fast, but it’s a long speed, and not really a quick speed. You want me to compare him to a black guy? How about T.J. Duckett(notes)? There’s a big, fast guy who hasn’t been productive in the NFL.”

Its unfortunate that those stereotypes are out there. The comments from the team (who ever that was) was just plain stupid. If he's good, then they should feel privilage to have him. To negate someone's accomplishments because of a stereotype is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies