Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
up here welfare has to be paid back. The result, the lowest per capita welfare spending in the country.
Up where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Nh.......

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,021 times
Good idea! I wonder how many would use it then? I seen a woman dressed to the hilt, use her EBT card to buy food most people can't afford, walk out to her navigator in the lot, talking on her cell..with about five kids....wow..what a lifestyle welfare provides...the cashier who waited on her told me she comes in every day and acts like a stuck up snob to her and pretty much everyone in the store..the cashier who waits on her walks to work, has no car and told me she can't afford to shop where she works, she has to go to those warehouse food shops...you know this is not just one odd case either..this is how it is for most freeloaders...its disgusting!

Last edited by WINDCHIMES; 12-06-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novasteve View Post
It's still horrible though. Cities like Chicago have more murders per year than do entire countries in europe. It may be improving, but the situation is still horrible.
So you do not applaud improved crime statistics. Also America is a country founded on violence so even though the crime across our country disgusts me (especially killings and assaults and sexual crimes) it is a part of the American culture. Europeans killed people all over the place for centuries. After WWII many European countries were sick of killing and changed suit, got away from colonialism and wars. Many European countries were bombed to smitherenes in WWII. They were good to learn from their mistakes when it comes to violence against their fellow man. Hopefully the destruction of our country will not be the catalyst for Americans to follow the path of less violence in our boarders.

Wanted to also let you know that the murder rate for Chicago has been cut in half from 1990 to 2010. That is substantial progress in only 20 years. Chicago is much safer than it used to be.

I currently live in Atlanta which also has the stigma of being a violent city. Our murder rate is extremely low now. There have only been 75 murders for the year so far in Atlanta which is amazing IMO because there used to be 300-400 per year here. There is a thread in the Atlanta forum here on CD with the source if you want to check it out.

Things can always improve, but to deny that crime is phenomenally better than it used to be is just strange to me. America is a much safer country than it was 20 - 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
up here welfare has to be paid back. The result, the lowest per capita welfare spending in the country.

I feel all states should go this route. It would significantly cut down the time people are on welfare IMO. I do not think getting rid of welfare completely is the solution but I do think that limiting it to 3 years and making people pay it back is a good idea.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The race of this woman should have nothing to do with her plight.

It is her attitude and generational poverty, wh/ can and does occur across race lines.

The question to be asked is: why does she feel someone owes her something?
She probably saw her mother doing the same thing. Mama got, so now she wants, too.

Quote:
It used to be folks tried to limit their family size to whatever the number of people they could afford to support.

Why did this woman not do that? Very few wealthy folks have more than 3 or 4 kids. We all know how expensive it is to raise children. Why would someone put him/herself into a situation guaranteed to foster poverty for the family? And then, once they made that decision, expect others to raise her family for her?

I think those as the questions that need to be asked.
She saw Mama getting the government cheese. Why should she get her own cheese when the government will give it to her for free?

Children live what they learn. This mother is teaching her children what she probably learned at her own mother's knee -- dependence, not self-reliance.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I feel all states should go this route. It would significantly cut down the time people are on welfare IMO. I do not think getting rid of welfare completely is the solution but I do think that limiting it to 3 years and making people pay it back is a good idea.

That would fix 90% of whats makes it so wrong. Then only those who truely need help would apply.

The defenders of welfare love to scream " its for the children" truth is , nh actualy has the lowest child poverty rate in the country. Apparently when the parents have to et a job , the kids live a better life. Not to mention the posative side effect of not having generational welfare families.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Somebody owes me an hour of time to read over 1,000 posts.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Actualy , your lost hr was a result of a decision you made and are responsable for.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

What if a welfare recipient is unskilled and can't afford training? How would they pay it back?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Then he can get a job where training is provided and work his way up. Same as most working americans without a degree have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies