Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I PROUDLY LAUGH at people who say "under gawd". Delusional people.....

One day this country will realize. Especially when the elder generation dies out, their stupid traditions and religions, we will become a better and freer country.
You need to keep up with the news. The fastest growing segment of evangelical Christians are those who are 25 and younger. You'll have to deal with the fact that there are a whole lot of young people who share the same faith as the older generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperarmati View Post
Turns out that McCarthy was right far more often than wrong.
Yeah, that can happen when you make vague, general accusations, instead of specific, substantive allegations. Anyone who goes fishing with a seine net is going to catch more fish than someone who fishes with a cast line. The trouble is, the seine net gathers a lot of things you weren't trying to catch.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,950 times
it's more like e unum pluribus now. I'd rather be divided that give up the beliefs that I hold dear and think are important.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:31 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe they aren't intent on destroying the Constitution. Just because someone's economic ideology isn't capitalism doesn't mean they want to destroy the United States.
Perhaps not all of them, but there were (and still are) some, who do want to do so...

Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:

One day this country will realize. Especially when the elder generation dies out, their stupid traditions and religions, we will become a better and freer country.
Interesting, liberal intolerance in full public view, but anyways: the trend in fact seems, amongst younger people, to be rejecting the liberalism and anti-religious feelings of their parents' generation.

These things tend to go in patterns. The 40's and 50's saw a very conservative mindset in general, inherited from the Depression years, regarding religion. The 60's brought about an anti-religious trend in response to the 1950's, and now the trend is back towards more conservative views of religion in response to the preceding years.

As it's not really possible to scientifically prove one way or the other whether or not God exists in some form, anyone who is so confident that religion is "stupid" is really rather foolish. Reminds me of what someone said once: if a person believes in God and is wrong, no real loss. But he who rejects any notion of God and is wrong, is in bigger trouble...

Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:

If it happens that the traditions and religion of the elders die out when the elders themselves die off, no, the country will not be "better and freer". A utopia will not emerge from the ashes of traditions and codes of conduct and belief that long held a society together. Chaos and anarchy is the inevitable result of such upheaval.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:43 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You aren't a believer. Fine. Very much your right. I suppose it also your right to go out of your way to be as insulting and offensive as possible to those who ARE believers. But I have to wonder why you think it is necessary. In my mind, such intolerent offensiveness toward those of faith is just as wrong as those who show such intolerent offensiveness toward those of sexuality or race different than their own. And those who seem to need to be offensive to people from other countries.
I am not against people from different countries as long as they LEARN English which most of them hate doing.

Sexuality is something you cannot control. Same with race. However, shoving religion down other throat is. There is NO PROOF of a God existing. So why push fairytales and such onto people? And then they wonder why the US lags behind. As long as you keep feeding them this, students will reflect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Interesting, liberal intolerance in full public view, but anyways: the trend in fact seems, amongst younger people, to be rejecting the liberalism and anti-religious feelings of their parents' generation.

These things tend to go in patterns. The 40's and 50's saw a very conservative mindset in general, inherited from the Depression years, regarding religion. The 60's brought about an anti-religious trend in response to the 1950's, and now the trend is back towards more conservative views of religion in response to the preceding years.

As it's not really possible to scientifically prove one way or the other whether or not God exists in some form, anyone who is so confident that religion is "stupid" is really rather foolish. Reminds me of what someone said once: if a person believes in God and is wrong, no real loss. But he who rejects any notion of God and is wrong, is in bigger trouble...
Liberal tolerance for me is a stereotype. I never claimed to be tolerant of others especially those who wanna spout their trash and then expect me to just "tolerate it".

" if a person believes in God and is wrong, no real loss. But he who rejects any notion of God and is wrong, is in bigger trouble..."

So believe out of fear and trouble. Real nice.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
e pluribus unum
"out of many one"
America started putting it on our currency in 1786.

It is a great slogan. I will tell you what it means to me.

America, where so many different types of people living together. They have personal goals, beliefs, codes, sometimes as indiviual sometimes as a group.

They don't always agree with each other, but a society of individuals persuing ambition, with a base respect for each other to do so as long as one doesn't intrude on another.

Life, liberty and pursuing happiness, it is up to you to decide what that is for you to the point you don't stop someone else from it.

And the unity comes from wanting to maintain freedom to do so. Unfortunately often people don't care to, only caring about their personal pet freedoms, which why we have a Bill of Rights to prevent one from being a tyrant over the other.

All political parties specially the big two, seem to want to pick and choose.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:

" if a person believes in God and is wrong, no real loss. But he who rejects any notion of God and is wrong, is in bigger trouble..."

So believe out of fear and trouble. Real nice.
Reality in this world tends to be harsh. Nature is harsh and cruel. Life is harsh. Death is harsh. Nothing really nice about anything, and I won't claim there is.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:51 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Reality in this world tends to be harsh. Nature is harsh and cruel. Life is harsh. Death is harsh. Nothing really nice about anything, and I won't claim there is.
Your point...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies