Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

I think what he meant is that the Republican Party hasn't reached out to AA's to give them a reason to vote Republican.

It's not that he said that AA's don't have any reason to vote Republican.

C'mon people, is it totally impossible to understand what he meant when you read the entire article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I was not talking about the president, but Congress.
Now Frankie, while you are doing your little map projects try overlaying where many members of the Congressional black caucus hail from. You might also overlay a map showing where more than a few liberal/moderate white southern Congress persons, like Lindy and Hale Boggs, John Breaux, Lloyd Bentson, Sam Nunn, Max Cleland, Bob Graham, or Lawton Chiles all of whom enjoyed substantial African American support.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think what he meant is that the Republican Party hasn't reached out to AA's to give them a reason to vote Republican.

It's not that he said that AA's don't have any reason to vote Republican.

C'mon people, is it totally impossible to understand what he meant when you read the entire article?
Ya think?

I think that you have to be brain dead or willfully stupid not to understand in the clearest terms possible what the following statement means:
Steele seemed to hold the diverse student audience's attention most when he talked about his own experience suffering racial discrimination -- in his first law firm interview for example -- and when he confessed his party's failure to reach out to African-Americans:

"We have lost sight of the historic, integral link between the party and African-Americans," Steele said. "This party was co-founded by blacks, among them Frederick Douglass. The Republican Party had a hand in forming the NAACP, and yet we have mistreated that relationship. People don't walk away from parties, Their parties walk away from them.

"For the last 40-plus years we had a 'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, 'Bubba' went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton."

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
So your sayig that their needs to be a black stragey to appeal to such as the democrats have.I don't see any difference myself other than what democrats have done since FDR. They take a alot of special interest and try to keep the, all in line and pass specail bills for each group. We saw that with the stimulus whicch resulted in it being a specail interest bill with little stiumulus and a wopping effect on teh deficit that your grandchildren will be poaying. Its bascailly then old politics of good ole boy;vote for me and I'll give you some of the tax dollars of others.Asl not what you can do for your country ;ask what your cut is.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not understand why anyone working for a living votes for any Republican. That party represents the extremely wealthy (they are the real party of green and greed) and no one else although they constantly claim to do so. Convincing workers to vote republican has to be the biggest propaganda victory ever.
That may once have been the case but no longer. The big money in this country, which is largely concentrated on the east and west coast, votes solidly Democrat. The South and what the Left considers fly over-country now tends to vote Republican. And they aren't rich. Check out who the millionaires are in Congress--mostly Democrat.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM

438 posts, read 503,179 times
Good on Steele for bluntly stating the truth.

Ever since the National Democratic party apparatus (excluding Dixicrats) reversed their coddling of anti civil rights forces, the GOP courted these same demographics.

But while the GOP throws a few bones here and there to Christian Whites (esp. males), the GOP only really cares about rich folks and big business.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So your sayig that their needs to be a black stragey to appeal to such as the democrats have.I don't see any difference myself other than what democrats have done since FDR. They take a alot of special interest and try to keep the, all in line and pass specail bills for each group.
While I am as cynical as the next person, the Democrats NEVER devised a strategy to appeal to black voters, quite the contrary, the Democrats only did what was right and necessary and at a major cost, as LBJ so clairvoyantly pointed out following the passage of the Civil Rights bill.

FDR passed no legislation nor signed any executive order granting special rights to African Americans other than to end discrimination in the defense industry.

Truman, passed no special legislation or signed any executive order other than granting the basic right of African Americans to fight alongside white soldiers and sailors.

Eisenhower saw a temporal return of black voters to the Republican Party, simply because he was seen as a fair and virtuous man. He rewarded that faith by doing nothing more than enforcing the Supreme Court's decision to end segregation in the Little Rock school system.

In 1960, Kennedy brought African American's back to the Democratic fold, and while Kennedy committed himself to civil rights, he promised nothing of import, but he had enough sense to reach out to Martin Luther King despite the advice of his campaign staff, which won him King's endorsement.

After that, as a result of Nixon's Southern strategy, (Nixon during his administration proposed damn near as many social programs and policies as Johnson by the way) black folks, as Steele realizes the Republicans lost the black vote for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ya think?

I think that you have to be brain dead or willfully stupid not to understand in the clearest terms possible what the following statement means:
Steele seemed to hold the diverse student audience's attention most when he talked about his own experience suffering racial discrimination -- in his first law firm interview for example -- and when he confessed his party's failure to reach out to African-Americans:

"We have lost sight of the historic, integral link between the party and African-Americans," Steele said. "This party was co-founded by blacks, among them Frederick Douglass. The Republican Party had a hand in forming the NAACP, and yet we have mistreated that relationship. People don't walk away from parties, Their parties walk away from them.

"For the last 40-plus years we had a 'Southern Strategy' that alienated many minority voters by focusing on the white male vote in the South. Well, guess what happened in 1992, folks, 'Bubba' went back home to the Democratic Party and voted for Bill Clinton."
I would have expected a more sophisticated analysis from Steele. I was a big fan of his and even hoped that McCain would have put him on the ticket. But since being ensconced as chair of the RNC he has done nothing but disappoint.

There's a reason that blacks don't vote Republican and it has nothing to do with a so-called Southern Strategy. The Republican party represented the party of emancipation and civil rights for black people. But for southern Democrats deliberately suppressing the black vote blacks would have voted solidly Republican until about 1968. The Democrat party benefitted from what their southern brethren were doing to blacks during Reconstruction and the Jim Crow years. As was previously mentioned passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act would not have been possible without strong Republican support. One would have expected afterward that blacks would have voted Republican afterwards. But it didn't happen.

The reason it didn't happen is Johnson's War on Poverty and affirmative action. The Democrats bought the black vote with disastrous social programs whose effect has been to retard the social and economic integration of blacks into the mainstream of American society. The Democrats hired race pimps like Jesse Jackson to mediate between the political class and blacks and these pimps delivered, acting as a gate keeper and filter of political messages. Steele should know better than anyone that it is now virtually impossible for a Republican to speak to black audiences without going through the Jacksons, the Sharptons, the radicals at NAACP. Even he could not get through when he ran for the Senate and was pelted with Oreo cookies.

You want to talk about plantation? That's exactly what the Democrat party has become for blacks. They go hat in hand to the master for their handouts and woe to any black that strays from the plantation! He or she is cut off, hunted down and destroyed. Ask Clarence Thomas or Condoleeza Rice.

I don't know what the Republicans can do to appeal to blacks without losing their soul in the process and, apparently, Steele doesn't know, either. Emulating the dependency relationship that the Democrat party has developed with blacks certainly is not the answer. And if Steele thinks it is he ought to find himself another job.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
I don't disagree with Steele, but it does make me think deeper about why black people don't vote Republican. The only thing that I can come up with is that Democrats have been exceedingly succesful in painting Republican's as racist. If that's not it, then it must be because black people feel they have a friend in the entitlement-friendly ranks of Democrats.

If not race or entitlement, then why not vote for pro-business, pro-heterosexual marriage Republicans? An increase in black business would do wonders for the black commuinty. And we all know that black people generally favor a gay marriage ban.

So why not? I'd love to hear from the black forum members.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,679 times
Black forums members have REPEATEDLY told you and other reps why we don't vote for the Republican party. You just refuse to listen.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't disagree with Steele, but it does make me think deeper about why black people don't vote Republican. The only thing that I can come up with is that Democrats have been exceedingly succesful in painting Republican's as racist. If that's not it, then it must be because black people feel they have a friend in the entitlement-friendly ranks of Democrats.

If not race or entitlement, then why not vote for pro-business, pro-heterosexual marriage Republicans? An increase in black business would do wonders for the black commuinty. And we all know that black people generally favor a gay marriage ban.

So why not? I'd love to hear from the black forum members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies