Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM

1,089 posts, read 653,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Back in the 90's?

It's 20 years later, in case you haven't noticed. We are in the here and now.

How many were in favor of the mandate 20 years ago?

Is that why Hillarycare failed?

So you absolve the obama and the democrats for implementing the disastrous and illegal individual mandate?
Romneycare has a mandate.

edit:
The reasoning for the mandate is pay for the folks who at hospital emergency rooms and skip out without paying.

Last edited by pbrauer; 04-22-2010 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: added tex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,990,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ZERO, NADA, ZIP, NOTHING.

Does that about cover how much responsibility Repubs have for Obamacare.

Now that bad things are coming out of this bill, it's the Repubs fault ????

ROFL. If there was a way to do it, they would try to put the blame on Bush.

Well, this is a Dem "victory". Dem Congress and a Dem President.
So suck it up and pay those taxes..YOU Dems wanted this so now you have it.
HappyTexan !!! ... Most Accurate Indeed !

Well see just how much this dopey bunch of "Dino's love HO's little old health care "Nightmare" before very much longer !

The "Peeps" had damn sure better learn to Suck It Up !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 04-22-2010, 06:41 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,937,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What is it about the FACT that the MANDATORY REQUIREMENT was the brainchild of THE REPUBLICANS, is so hard for you to grasp?

Individual health insurance mandate started as a Republican idea (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/23/1544321/individual-health-insurance-mandate.html - broken link)
"The truth is this is a Republican idea,'' said Linda Quick, president of the South Florida Hospital and Healthcare Association. She said she first heard the concept of the "individual mandate'' in a Miami speech in the early 1990s by Sen. John McCain, a conservative Republican from Arizona, to counter the "Hillarycare'' the Clintons were proposing.

McCain did not embrace the concept during his 2008 election campaign, but other leading Republicans did, including Tommy Thompson, secretary of Health and Human Services under President George W. Bush.

. . .

Among the other Republicans who had embraced the idea was Mitt Romney, who as governor of Massachusetts crafted a huge reform by requiring almost all citizens to have coverage.

"Some of my libertarian friends balk at what looks like an individual mandate,'' Romney wrote in The Wall Street Journal in 2006. "But remember, someone has to pay for the health care that must, by law, be provided: Either the individual pays or the taxpayers pay. A free ride on government is not libertarian.''
I wish you people would pick a side and stick to it for once. But instead, the Party of No strikes again. Surprise, surprise.
I'm not entirely critical of healthcare reform, but who do you think has been pushing this night and day for months? It ain't been the Repubs sweetie, it's been President Obama and the Dems.

Whatever alternate universe you've been living in is NOT reality.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,937,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Then there's the horrible, horrible story of the lonesome, ugly retired Army sergeant ain't never had never paid for no kind of health insurance neither but still got FREE health coverage in his earlier days and now gets FREE health insurance. And what's even better the FREE health insurance qualifies as coverage by an employer, so the employer pays nothing and no fines to pay.

Lots and lots of different stories out there.

Main Entry: pen·al·ty
Pronunciation: \ˈpe-nəl-tē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural pen·al·ties
Etymology: Middle English penalte, from Middle French penalité, from Medieval Latin poenalitas, from Latin poenalis
Date: 15th century
1 : the suffering in person, rights, or property that is annexed by law or judicial decision to the commission of a crime or public offense
2 : the suffering or the sum to be forfeited to which a person agrees to be subjected in case of nonfulfillment of stipulations
3 a : disadvantage, loss, or hardship due to some action b : a disadvantage (as loss of yardage, time, or possession of the ball or an addition to or subtraction from the score) imposed on a team or competitor for violation of the rules of a sport
4 : points scored in bridge by the side that defeats the opposing contract

Number 2 applies here.

Main Entry: 2tax
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Date: 14th century
1 a : a charge usually of money imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes b : a sum levied on members of an organization to defray expenses

So now, since when is a "penalty" a "tax"?

A recent poll by NYT/CBS showed most tea baggers were more concerned with the projected deficit than anything else including jobs for their neighbors and fellow Americans. Seems to me they'd cheer penalties as a way to reduce a deficit.
I discount everything you have said based on all of your prior posts. The "oldsarge" moniker doesn't fool me one single bit.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I'm not entirely critical of healthcare reform, but who do you think has been pushing this night and day for months? It ain't been the Repubs sweetie, it's been President Obama and the Dems.

buzzpost !!! ... Ain't It The truth !

May we please have Capt. Spock beam this person aboard the Enterprise !!! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I discount everything you have said based on all of your prior posts. The "oldsarge" moniker doesn't fool me one single bit.
buzzpost !!! ...

Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,849,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Did you mean the stimulus bill that took GDP from -5.4% in 2008-IV to +5.6% in 2009-IV? Or did you mean the one that turned job losses of 663,000 in March 2009 into job gains of 162,000 in March 2010?
This spin again? The Failed Stimulus has accomplished NONE of what obama and his "uniquely qualified" team said it would do.

The "recovery" is right in line with what the CBO said would happen, WITHOUT any government intervention (the Failed Stimulus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
C) They are treated, and forced to shoulder some of the cost of their health care by getting mandatory catastrophic insurance.
You do realize under obamacare that catastrophic-only insurance will go the way of the dinosaur, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You sir will make out like a bandit. Obamacare is good for you because it pays for your insurance that you are already paying for today.

That gives you extra money to spend to support the VAT tax now
I wonder if he will thank his neighbor, the business down the street or me for his coverage.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Squeezing more blood money out of the populace and ANOTHER example of just how much obama will be breaking his "no taxes of any kind" pledge.

The Associated Press: Nearly 4M to pay health insurance penalty by 2016

The people least able to afford more taxes.

Like this man;

Those Meant to Benefit From Health Law Still Face Hurdles - NYTimes.com
sanrene !!! ... The "Truth" Ain't In This Crews Vocabulary" !

Whats up with our pseudo WH "Towering Intellectual's" these days !
They are without a doubt "In Way Over Their Heads" !

Thanks / Old Lamar

Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM

1,089 posts, read 653,153 times
Quote:

The sweetie comment sounds sexist to me.

The reality is that the Republicans have been blocking everything that Obama is for, even though they were previously for it themselves. They took their orders from Rush Limbaugh who stated that he wanted Obama to fail. Sen. DeMint said he wanted the HCR bill to be Obama's 'Waterloo.'

Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,712,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Listen to what?

I got it, don't want health insurance then you don't want social security or medicare either. Now, there's a tax savings!
You are darn right I don't want them. And I don't want to pay for them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies