Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Ok question, what do you wan't black folks to say (that hasn't been said already) to appease you all?
Personally??? I don't want them to say anything. Put your head down and go forward already. It's all the talking and blaming that's gotten old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Personally??? I don't want them to say anything. Put your head down and go forward already. It's all the talking and blaming that's gotten old.
Most do. You just choose to focus on the vocal minority. It's that selective hearing again.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
My kids went to a school that was over 50% black, I pulled them out and moved them. It wasn't because of the black kids, it was because the black kids parents didn't care, they make them do their homework, or try to behave in school they did not come to school meeting and treated school like it was a 7-3 babysitter. The school suffered and the kids there that wanted to learn suffered and I wasn't going to let the lack of care of some destroy my child's future. They are now in school ranked in the top 10 in the state, the school I pulled them out of is now in the bottom 20 in the state because so many kids that wanted to learn were pulled out because so many others didn't care.
I'm not blaming skin color I'm blaming this mentality that it's cool to fail, it's cool to do poorly in school, it's cool to not be involved. These kids and parents are destroying future before it begins. They'll never have a chance in life unless something changes, it's nothing the whites can do it is something the blacks are going to have to do within there own community. And as Bill Cosby has said and I'll say it to "Don't ask me to soften my message."

Old 06-11-2007, 08:03 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Ok question, what do you wan't black folks to say (that hasn't been said already) to appease you all?
Yayoi, I'm not sure of your intent here - I don't think anyone is trying to be appeased, at least I'm not....of course there is white on white crime - black on white crime - white on black crime....the list is endless.

I'll stick my neck out and say it is the supposed "leaders" of the black community and their delivery that is part of the problem - and yes, those ARE the ones we hear....much as George Wallace was heard back in his day. But in this day and time, it seems like everything is turned into a racial issue or a cultural issue, and it simply is not. I think the black race should stand tall and proud - they have achieved their goal, which was unrealistic in the first place of keeping them below the level of the normal human - so why all the talk about Africa and who done who wrong? I haven't done anyone wrong and I refuse to be guilted out by the Rev. Jackson or Sharpton...it's almost as if they want to incite anger rather than appease it and pour oil on the water and go forward.

I don't want appeasement - just as I don't want racism. And sometimes the anti-white speeches given are most definitely racism but they are allowed because of slavery, which I personally had nothing to do with and neither did you....it's like asking the Irish to pay me reparations or honor me in some specific way because my family had to immigrate to American after the potato famine. I think part of the problem that is perceived by much of the white population is that we are to be ashamed of being white, and I just can't agree with that. I don't care - every culture and race has things to be proud of and things to be ashamed of - but none of us should make anyone ashamed for their color or what their ancestors did before we were ever a part of this world.

I hope that doesn't come off sounding nasty, I truly don't mean for it to...please receive my little note in the spirit in which it was intended, which is to try to understand why there still has to be the Great Divide between the races.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I really love Bill Cosby and his message. Not enough people following him, tragically. Who wants eggs and tomatoes thrown at them? From what I can tell, he is in the minority with his wonderful message and it goes for EVERYONE, not just blacks. Wonder where the Justice Brothers are with this???

Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Yayoi, I'm not sure of your intent here - I don't think anyone is trying to be appeased, at least I'm not....of course there is white on white crime - black on white crime - white on black crime....the list is endless.

I'll stick my neck out and say it is the supposed "leaders" of the black community and their delivery that is part of the problem - and yes, those ARE the ones we hear....much as George Wallace was heard back in his day. But in this day and time, it seems like everything is turned into a racial issue or a cultural issue, and it simply is not. I think the black race should stand tall and proud - they have achieved their goal, which was unrealistic in the first place of keeping them below the level of the normal human - so why all the talk about Africa and who done who wrong? I haven't done anyone wrong and I refuse to be guilted out by the Rev. Jackson or Sharpton...it's almost as if they want to incite anger rather than appease it and pour oil on the water and go forward.

I don't want appeasement - just as I don't want racism. And sometimes the anti-white speeches given are most definitely racism but they are allowed because of slavery, which I personally had nothing to do with and neither did you....it's like asking the Irish to pay me reparations or honor me in some specific way because my family had to immigrate to American after the potato famine. I think part of the problem that is perceived by much of the white population is that we are to be ashamed of being white, and I just can't agree with that. I don't care - every culture and race has things to be proud of and things to be ashamed of - but none of us should make anyone ashamed for their color or what their ancestors did before we were ever a part of this world.

I hope that doesn't come off sounding nasty, I truly don't mean for it to...please receive my little note in the spirit in which it was intended, which is to try to understand why there still has to be the Great Divide between the races.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. I hate that those clowns Jackson and Sharpton have been assigned as our "leaders". Most black folks I know can't stand them. My question was mainly directed towards the OP who thinks that black people aren't discussing black on black crime. This seems to be a common complaint amongst white folks, that we don't talk about the ills that are affecting us. Well we do, we just don't talk about it with whites. I mean, I don't see any white people talking about the meth problem with blacks. Why should we be any different?

BTW I don't think your post was nasty. Especially compared to some of the other posts I have seen on CD and the posts that are sure to come in this thread.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Until the 70% illigitimate birth rate drops, there won't be much forward progress.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I think Bill Cosby said it very well......

Subject: Can't Blame White People by Bill Cosby

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English.

I can't even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain't, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be...

And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English... except these knuckleheads.

You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.

The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.

These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry... when their son is standing there in an orange suit.

Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18?

And, how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?

People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles piercing going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back.

People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now.

We have millionaire football players who cannot read.

We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs.

We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids saying ... you are hurting us.

We have to start holding each other to a higher standard. We cannot blame the white people any longer. It is not for media or anyone of this time anymore to say whether I'm right or wrong.

It is time, ladies and gentlemen, to look at the numbers. Fifty percent of our children are dropping out of high school. Sixty percent of the incarcerated males happen to be illiterate. There's a correlation.

Tell the media to stop asking me what I think about people who don't believe what I'm saying or feel that I'm too harsh or feel that I'm just running my mouth because I'm old.

Seventy percent of the teenagers pregnant happen to be African American girls.

Don't ask me to soften my message.
Mr. Cosby was roundly criticized by some of the old guard that uses victimhood to keep their supporters in line

Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Most do. You just choose to focus on the vocal minority. It's that selective hearing again.
Well then I think you answered one of your own questions.... If the "vocal minority" are the only one's talking, who else would we hear??? Again I appreciate those that simply strive to be better. It really is a struggle for anyone born in poverty to work thier way up, but that's what people need to do. No one and no government is going to erradicate poverty. All it can do is sustain those who live in poverty but it is the resposibility of each individual to push forward to improve thier own plight. This is where my frustration lies is that there must be some misunderstanding here that it's the government's responsibility to make people not be poor anymore. It just doesn't work that way, and it seems the "vocal minority" believes it should for them and if they play the blame game enough that it will somehow improve thier lot in life.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Well then I think you answered one of your own questions.... If the "vocal minority" are the only one's talking, who else would we hear??? Again I appreciate those that simply strive to be better. It really is a struggle for anyone born in poverty to work thier way up, but that's what people need to do. No one and no government is going to erradicate poverty. All it can do is sustain those who live in poverty but it is the resposibility of each individual to push forward to improve thier own plight. This is where my frustration lies is that there must be some misunderstanding here that it's the government's responsibility to make people not be poor anymore. It just doesn't work that way, and it seems the "vocal minority" believes it should for them and if they play the blame game enough that it will somehow improve thier lot in life.
Great! Then I can assume that the right-wing nutjobs or the white guilt liberals represent white folks. Afterall they are a vocal minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies