Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:31 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It's pretty tough to defend the Catholic Church right now. Any institution that condones adults having sex with children is disgusting and corrupt to it's core.
And something tells me they have this same problem within Islam, but since it's sec retive, etc, you'll never hear about it, and at least catholics don't blow things up when they have a gripe. Or are catholics the only people capable of being pedophiles in your view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
And something tells me they have this same problem within Islam, but since it's sec retive, etc, you'll never hear about it, and at least catholics don't blow things up when they have a gripe. Or are catholics the only people capable of being pedophiles in your view?
My post was NOT in defense of Islam. I am not a defender of that religion.

"At least Catholics don't blow things up" Wow! I honestly can't believe you are defending the church. I live in Catholic country. Probably 75% of my friends are Catholic and I've never heard them say anything like that. Most of them are upset (and pissed) that the institutionalized sexual abuse of children is being excepted buy the hierarchy and especially the Pope. They aren't defending the abuses...believe me!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
You'd think the Vietnamese would want to hijack planes and crash tehm into NYC, after all, we killed millions of them not too long ago. I was born during the Vietnam war, yet I see no hatred of us by them, and we killed far more than any war against any Muslim country... Why aren't they teaching their children to hate us?
Because they won the war...duh

Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Because they won the war...duh
So why aren't Germans and Japanese teaching their kids to hate us given we defeated them, and occupied them for decades?

Old 04-26-2010, 03:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
So why aren't Germans and Japanese teaching their kids to hate us given we defeated them, and occupied them for decades?
Good question, and I'm not sure. I would hesitate before assuming they love us. It's more that we were useful to them for a long time.

In the case of Germany, they were not simply conquered, but split in half for 45 years, with one half being communist and crushingly poor. Also, it is reasonable to surmise that the millions of Germans who died in the war and the 1-2 million Germans murdered by the Allies after the war, probably contained a disproportionate number of people sympathetic to the Reich.

In the cases of both Germany and Japan, it seems reasonable to guess that there was some degree of reflection on the fact that their own thirst for empire was a key ingredient in the whole catastrophe. Whatever the shortcomings of the Palestinian Arabs may have been, imperialism was not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies