Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:14 PM

12 posts, read 10,884 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad that I don't live in the UK anymore:

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lancashire/8636444.stm]BBC News - 'Boastful' killer, 17, detained for four years[/url]

As much as I miss what was once my home, I do not miss nonsense like this. A four year sentence for what was basically murder is a joke. Four years for someone's life is nothing. Sadly, this happens far too often in the UK, where the justice system favors the criminal and where you're not even allowed to carry a gun, when the police and courts have failed so badly to protect the citizens against violent crime.

If you are planning a visit to the UK, just be careful. Take in the wonderful sights, the countryside, the history but please, watch out. It's not a safe country (I feel FAR safer here in the US, trust me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,354,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCharmingMan2 View Post
I'm so glad that I don't live in the UK anymore:

BBC News - 'Boastful' killer, 17, detained for four years

As much as I miss what was once my home, I do not miss nonsense like this. A four year sentence for what was basically murder is a joke. Four years for someone's life is nothing. Sadly, this happens far too often in the UK, where the justice system favors the criminal and where you're not even allowed to carry a gun, when the police and courts have failed so badly to protect the citizens against violent crime.

If you are planning a visit to the UK, just be careful. Take in the wonderful sights, the countryside, the history but please, watch out. It's not a safe country (I feel FAR safer here in the US, trust me).
I've been to England many times, and have always felt far safer (even in the IRA days) then I do in much of america (both rural and urban).

While it is a shame, there was nothing within the law (as far as I can tell), to extend the charge to murder. If the victim would have survived, it would have been aggravated assault, not attempted murder.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,650,378 times
If we go by murder rates, unfortunately, the US's rate is about 4.5 times as high as the rate in England and Wales.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,226,230 times
I sympathize with your concerns. Wasn't there a case some time back where a man in the UK went to jail for defending himself with a gun against intruders?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I've been to England many times, and have always felt far safer (even in the IRA days) then I do in much of america (both rural and urban).

While it is a shame, there was nothing within the law (as far as I can tell), to extend the charge to murder. If the victim would have survived, it would have been aggravated assault, not attempted murder.
I am from England and lived there for 27 miserable years. The country is *not* safe. Just because it doesn't have the same level of gang / gun violence as the US, it doesn't mean that it can be taken for being safer than here. Just take a walk up any British High Street at night and witness the chaos. Groups of aimless, uneducated, jobless, welfare stealing youths on "the dole" doing nothing but harassing people and causing trouble, while the law barely even slaps them on the wrist. At least here in the US, you're basically f**ked if you kill someone and as a citizen (not a "subject"), you have the right to defend yourself.

As for this case, it was not aggravated assault. The piece of s**t even bragged about what he'd done on the internet, clearly showing no remorse. Over here, he'd have probably received a far harsher sentence, at least.

Also, funny how you don't see the same dumb groups of lost and hopeless young people harassing people over here. The cops simply don't stand for it and the fact that ordinary citizens are armed and ready is an added bonus.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I sympathize with your concerns. Wasn't there a case some time back where a man in the UK went to jail for defending himself with a gun against intruders?
Tony Martin....correct.

The man was thrown in jail for defending himself. He was being harassed by local yobs for a long time and they broke into his home. The man also had a heart condition and he lived in the middle of nowhere, so the police couldn't have saved him. He chased them down and shot them. One of the punks died, the other survived (unfortunately). He was jailed. It was a great injustice, but people didn't care to take to the streets to protest. This was one of the reasons why I grew so sick of living in the UK. Not only is there a lot of crime, but you are also not allowed to defend yourself. It's sad that a whole nation can just capitulate and become such a sorry-ass state of affairs.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If we go by murder rates, unfortunately, the US's rate is about 4.5 times as high as the rate in England and Wales.
That's because the US has far more gang violence and a far bigger problem in the inner cities. It's not because of guns or because Americans are more violent people. Take it from a former Englishman; you are FAR more likely to become a victim of crime in the UK than here in the US (Google it if you don't believe me). Walking the streets of many UK towns and cities is not a good idea. These mindless groups of youths WILL mess with you. They're not tough...just lost, hopeless and often drunk. IMO, most US cities don't have that problem and the police don't tolerate it as much.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCharmingMan2 View Post
I am from England and lived there for 27 miserable years. The country is *not* safe. Just because it doesn't have the same level of gang / gun violence as the US, it doesn't mean that it can be taken for being safer than here. Just take a walk up any British High Street at night and witness the chaos. Groups of aimless, uneducated, jobless, welfare stealing youths on "the dole" doing nothing but harassing people and causing trouble, while the law barely even slaps them on the wrist. At least here in the US, you're basically f**ked if you kill someone and as a citizen (not a "subject"), you have the right to defend yourself.

As for this case, it was not aggravated assault. The piece of s**t even bragged about what he'd done on the internet, clearly showing no remorse. Over here, he'd have probably received a far harsher sentence, at least.

Also, funny how you don't see the same dumb groups of lost and hopeless young people harassing people over here. The cops simply don't stand for it and the fact that ordinary citizens are armed and ready is an added bonus.
Thank you for having something positive to say about the US. How long have you lived here?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Thank you for having something positive to say about the US. How long have you lived here?
6 years.

This country isn't perfect (nowhere is), but I prefer it 1,000 times over, hence the fact that I am going to become a citizen and renounce my British citizenship. I appreciate the freedoms you have here that so many take for granted; complete freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. It's a fascinating country that truly has something for everyone, along with a lot of opportunity, if you're willing to put the effort in. I also prefer having an "elected" head of state, rather than a powerless monarch that is pre-chosen for me, whether I like him/her or not.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Welcome to the US (albeit 6 years after the fact) and congratulations on your decision to become a citizen. We welcome people such as yourself who come here with your kind of attitude and want to work hard to take advantage of the opportunities offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies