Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
You have that wrong. They're not granting them the power to stop someone just because they "feel like" it. The police must be actively stopping them for a reason (e.g., traffic violation, tickets, warrants, drunk driving, loitering, panhandling, etc.)

There has to be a VALID LEGAL reason to stop said person. Once this person has been stopped it is then not ILLEGAL for the policeman to ask for a VALID LEGAL ID, and if the policeman has reason to suspect / doubt, that this person is a legal citizen of the US they have the right to ask for documents stating as much.
That is nothing but a bunch of bull crap. I'm Anglo and my wife is Mexican-American. I was driving through Kansas on my way to Minnesota by way of Texas with my wife, my daughter and my wife's aunt. We were pulled over "for having Texas plates." Afraid that the state trooper would have ticketed me for bull crap (after all, he pulled me over for bull crap) I let him search my car while traffic whizzed by us ten feet away on I-35. My daughter was 6 at the time.

If you think such legislation won't wind up being an open season on many legal Hispanic citizens of the United States, think again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 AM

1,089 posts, read 654,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You don't think the AZ state legislature has lawyers who are well-informed of Constitutional law and who specifically knew the challenges the new law posed? It won't be struck down as it is NOT unconstitutional because the officers do need a VALID reason and if they have a valid reason, it would not be unreasonable search and seizure.

I'm proud to be an Arizona citizen!
So what you are saying is that we don't need Judges and law makers are just fine? And because YOU think they are well-informed of Constitutional law, it will not be struck down? Dream on.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
It's out there to make sure people that are living in the state are there legally?

If the feds had done their job in the first place and gotton illegals out we wouldn't have had Sep 11th.
Nice way to mix apples and oranges.

I had understood all the September 11 Terrorists were here under legal visas.

You have some key information to disprove this, please share!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 AM

1,089 posts, read 654,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

That's exactly correct, if they came here illegally there would be a danger they would be caught and foil their elabore plan.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:36 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

Visas were expired.

And it's not mixing anything. An illegal is an illegal.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:41 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Visas were expired.

And it's not mixing anything. An illegal is an illegal.
The Visas were not expired according to the 9/11 commission.

So if they were here legally. Apples and oranges.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
You don't think the AZ state legislature has lawyers who are well-informed of Constitutional law and who specifically knew the challenges the new law posed? It won't be struck down as it is NOT unconstitutional because the officers do need a VALID reason and if they have a valid reason, it would not be unreasonable search and seizure.

I think you're sorely mistaken. What you state is how it worked before this bill was signed into law.

PREVIOUSLY, cops needed a reason to dig into someone's papers, such as speeding, arrest for a suspected crime, etc.

NOW, according to everything I've read so far, the law empowers and obligates the cops to go after anyone who THEY deem to seem to suspect as being an illegal. If they have the "reasonable cause" of suspicion that you're an illegal, they can detain you.

And what is "reasonable cause"? How do you look at someone and determine whether you "suspect" them of being an illegal?

"Gee, they look like Mexicans and they ain't talkin American...."

I'm all for a real solution to seal up the borders, but you guys should realize that we just legalized racial profiling and that this is an extremely dangerous, un-Constitutional precedent.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:55 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelosi View Post
LOL...You guys think enforecement will do anything to stop illegal immigration? The reason they come is because YOU pay them to work. Money doesn't grow on trees. Grass doesn't cut itself, oranges don't sell themselves. THey will continue to come as long as the same hyocrites pay for their labor. Until we can accept that fact that WE are greedy and look for and utilize cheap tax free labor, WE will..The best law would be to crack down on those that pay illegals. It's like drugs, do you go after the users/illegals or the dealers/greedy Americans that keep them coming back for more? We know the answer but only s few will admit it. It's more popular amongst closet racist to blame the "Mesicins"..
Speak for yourself please. I mow my own lawn, etc. No illegal alien necessary.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:

Thank you.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,169,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Speak for yourself please. I mow my own lawn, etc. No illegal alien necessary.
How do we know you're legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies