Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times

Advertisements

I'm all for a good public transit system, its just that it often comes at the expense of automobile drivers and tax payers that don't use it. I don't think its unreasonable to expect that its frequent users should be expected to shoulder their fair share of the costs of ridership. I know in Pa we help fund it through gas taxes and toll fees. Should I help fund Philadelphia mass transit when I live 60 miles away and have local roads that are full of potholes? I also don't get local bus service and have used it maybe twice in the last 15 years. Its a lot to expect from me so don't be shocked when I resist having to pay any more than I already do.
We're lucky to have some good private bus companies that are well run and convenient to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Public transportation

1. works on the east coast, becuase it is crowded

2. does not work in the midwest, south, and west, as things are spread out too much

3. No one who has a dime to thier name will ride a bus. Trains have an appeal in a crowded urban area, but require a central buisness destination.

4. Americans love thier cars, as they enjoy the privacy
It is working just fine in Chicago, Atlanta and Denver, to give an example from each region of the country where you claim it won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The first reason is no mass transit system pays for itself. That means each ride is paid for by someone else. Why are you or any mass transit rider entitled to my money?
Did it ever occur to you that everyone is paying for roads, too? It's not just the gasoline tax that funds a road system.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:01 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
"Why are so many conservatives against improving public transit?"
Maybe because public transportation is communistic...auto manufacturers and dealers want to sell you cars. Oil companies want you to buy their gas and other petroleum products. Insurance agents want you to buy auto insurance. Mechanics want to fix your cars. Parking meters and parking garages want your money. Construction companies want to build more roads and repair existing ones. Many companies want to sell you useless gadgets for your cars. Tire manufacturers want you to wear out your tires quickly so they can sell you new ones.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"Why are so many conservatives against improving public transit?"
Maybe because public transportation is communistic...auto manufacturers and dealers want to sell you cars. Oil companies want you to buy their gas and other petroleum products. Insurance agents want you to buy auto insurance. Mechanics want to fix your cars. Parking meters and parking garages want your money. Construction companies want to build more roads and repair existing ones. Many companies want to sell you useless gadgets for your cars. Tire manufacturers want you to wear out your tires quickly so they can sell you new ones.
Public trains need someone to build them. They need gas from oil companies and other petroleum products. They must be insured by insurance agents. They must be fixed by mechanics. People still have to parkl their cars in garages to ride the train. Construction companies have to build the tracks and maintain them.

Maybe people are opposed to public trains because they don't work very well.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:45 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is working just fine in Chicago, Atlanta and Denver, to give an example from each region of the country where you claim it won't.

Did it ever occur to you that everyone is paying for roads, too? It's not just the gasoline tax that funds a road system.
Roads and highways pays for themselves via the highway trust fund. Every gallon of gasoline has an 18 cent tax dedicated to rebuilding our roads. The more we use, the more we pay.

Our biggest problem with the highway trust fund is diversion of money in it to mass transit and "other" uses.

Remember the bridge collapse a few years ago. Turns out the bridge that failed was known to need significant investment since 1999. Instead of investing in repair of the bridge, which is what the highway trust fund is for, lovely Democrats diverted cash to subsidize an unused mass transit system. Those same Democrats who only days earlier had diverted 85% of the highway trust fund money in the congressional district of the bridge collapse to non-highway repair and building purposes came out to cry after the collapse and demand even more money in the form of higher taxes. Not one admitted to diverting money from the highway system and highway maintenance to other purposes.

In recent years, highway money has been diverted to build parks, bike paths, levee's, mass transit, parking garages in urban areas, and I believe a few special schools. Our politicians steal from the self paying highway system and use the money for mass transit.

Now that you know the truth, what is your next argument?

Democrats taking long road back to fiscal waste - Washington Times

If any doubt persisted about the futility of President-elect Barack Obama's forthcoming economic stimulus plan, it can safely be put to rest now that one of its chief congressional architects has revealed his intentions.

Rep. James L. Oberstar, Minnesota Democrat and the powerful chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, recently proposed a shift in the plan's infrastructure spending away from highways and bridges and toward mass transit.

This follows a successful vote in the House last summer dedicating tax dollars to fund the operating costs for bus and rail systems, the first time Congress has ever considered funding anything but capital outlays for local transit.

Mr. Oberstar's bill would give mass transit 40 percent of the funding allocated for highways and bridges, a remarkable departure from current policy, but not so remarkable for Minnesota's potentate of pork.

Mr. Oberstar has long sought to not only raise gas taxes, but to fund almost anything that comes across his desk as long as some of it winds up in Minnesota's 8th District. In 2005, Mr. Oberstar touted his mastery in bringing home $12 million out of a so-called transportation bill. Yet $10 million was for non-road uses, such as pedestrian trails, bicycle paths and, yes, mass-transit centers for that burgeoning metropolis known as Duluth.

The shamelessness is nothing new. Long before Rahm Emanuel was admonishing liberal Democrats to "never allow a crisis to go to waste," Mr. Oberstar was standing on the banks of the Mississippi River just days after the tragic collapse of the Interstate 35W bridge demanding a 23.4-cent federal gas tax. Rather than wait for the findings of the National Transportation Safety Board, which cited engineering defects when the bridge was originally built, Mr. Oberstar boldly, if not predictably, suggested that a lack of federal transportation revenue was somehow to blame.

But the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 has diverted 20 percent of each increase in federal gas tax revenues to the Mass Transit Account. Indeed, federal and state governments have spent billions of dollars on transit schemes that have done nothing to justify their supposed rationale of reducing congestion. In 2005, the now infamous $286 billion "bridge to nowhere" bill lost an astonishing $76 billion to transit and earmarks.

In short, we don't have a spending crisis; we have an investment crisis.

For example, the three-quarter-billion, 12-mile Hiawatha light-rail line - sold as just the first step for the sprawling Twin Cities metro area - runs annual deficits (expenses less fares) of $10 million as far as the eye can see.

But the fact that only 4.8 percent of the area's commuters use transit at all, according to the 2005 American Community Survey, didn't stop Minnesota state politicians from dedicating $1.1 billion of last year's $6.6 billion "transportation" tax increase for local mass-transit projects, including the Central Corridor light-rail project, scheduled to run from downtown St. Paul to Minneapolis.

Fundamentally, these costly rail schemes ($40 million to $50 million per mile) amount to little more than smart-growth subsidies for urban interests trying to force jobs and people back to the inner city. For the cost of the new Central Corridor line, transportation officials could widen the entire beltway around the Twin Cities.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:50 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
When I lived in San Francisco I went to the garage to get in my car and had to call AAA because it was dead. It was then that realized that I hadn't used it for months. With Buses, trolleys trains and ferries to take me everywhere,the question became why am I paying for that thing in the garage. Mass transit should be free and paid for by a tax on Parking in downtown areas

Old 04-24-2010, 11:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
It is a waste of money...no one uses it

Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
For all you conservatives against public transportation I suggest you read the following:

"How to Convince A Conservative To Support Public Transportation"

It is an interview with William Lind, director of the Center for Cultural Conservatism at the Free Congress Foundation. Needless to say he is a conservative, and he supports public transportation.
It didnt work, Im not convinced.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Basically how will it be paid for witht eh tresuries plastcic chinese credit card? People never learn that nothing is free. All they know is give me something free and charge the rich. Fools.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
It didnt work, Im not convinced.
I'm not surprised...in my opinion most conservatives are beyond hope...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies