Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's the truth where I live. A bond issue to extend a public transit line to my area failed & one of the county commissioners even came out and said something to the effect of "The extension into our county would bring in a certain element which would lower property values."
Do you have any data to backup that the commissioner was wrong? I bet the answer is no. There have been NUMEROUS reports to indicate that transit lines lower property values.. Here is one
http://aux.zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/j...04.303_320.pdf

The findings reveal that proximity to the transit corridor alone without direct access conveys a negative impact on nearby housing values.

But the answer is, the commission was correct. With public transportation, you tend to increase the number of renters and decrease home ownership, which puts a downward pressure on teh value of himes. (albeit slightly).. No home owner wants to buy a home next to a subway station or major bus line due to traffic and noise.

Its a nice selling point for renters, but home owners tend to be less concerned about the cost of driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you have any data to backup that the commissioner was wrong? I bet the answer is no. There have been NUMEROUS reports to indicate that transit lines lower property values.. Here is one
http://aux.zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/j...04.303_320.pdf

The findings reveal that proximity to the transit corridor alone without direct access conveys a negative impact on nearby housing values.

But the answer is, the commission was correct. With public transportation, you tend to increase the number of renters and decrease home ownership, which puts a downward pressure on teh value of himes. (albeit slightly).. No home owner wants to buy a home next to a subway station or major bus line due to traffic and noise.

Its a nice selling point for renters, but home owners tend to be less concerned about the cost of driving.
There are other studies that state values increase. It is questionable if it has any effect. If you live on a busy street- which is where transit would go- you are going to have less value than a quiet residential street. But I do not think my house suffered any loss when CCT put a bus stop a block away on Spring Rd.

Rail Access Can Enhance Property Values

Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
We don't like that kind of..."enhancement "...

Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are other studies that state values increase. It is questionable if it has any effect. If you live on a busy street- which is where transit would go- you are going to have less value than a quiet residential street. But I do not think my house suffered any loss when CCT put a bus stop a block away on Spring Rd.

In my state & others in the Region , new Transit corridors 3x the value of the property and bring millions to the local towns.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:

I note how you said "a block away".. Why not at your door if it increases property values so much?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I note how you said "a block away".. Why not at your door if it increases property values so much?
Because busses are designed to run on major streets and not down sub divisions. I doubt a bus would even be able to turn around in a cul-de-sac here. But it is the same with large trucks. Like I said, houses will always be of less value on busy streets whether there is a bus stop there or not. If you buy a house on Spring Rd, Atlanta Rd, South Cobb or Windy Hill, it is going to have less value than one on my street. The fact that CCT stops there makes no difference.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
As many of you guys know, I am a conservative. There are many areas where I disagree with conservatives and one of these areas has to do with public transit. Why are conservatives so against improving public transit? I am a professional, college-educated person who rely solely upon public transit in Los Angeles Metro area, which is finally starting to see some much needed improvements. I have noticed that in a lot of conservative areas and suburbs, public transit tends to be scanty and limited. Why is that?

Public transportation

1. works on the east coast, becuase it is crowded

2. does not work in the midwest, south, and west, as things are spread out too much

3. No one who has a dime to thier name will ride a bus. Trains have an appeal in a crowded urban area, but require a central buisness destination.

4. Americans love thier cars, as they enjoy the privacy

Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
There seems to be a disconnect among conservatives about transportation funding. For some reason roads are acceptable to build using government money, but anything beyond that is interfering in the free market. I think even some Libertarians will agree that while the government shouldn't be involved in much, transportation is one of those areas in which the government can be beneficial.

As long as oil remains cheap (or some other fuel that powers our cars of the future), roads will remain a more efficient mechanism for transportation in low-density areas where conservatives tend to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
I don't recall seeing Cons fighting against Public Transportation that isn't federally funded. However, I often see them criticize Amtrak, the Big Dig, and the new funding for Florida's high speed rail.
As has been mentioned before, the Big Dig was all about roads.

Quote:

I certainly bought my house based on its proximity to public transportation. I think the benefits may correspond to who in that area uses public transportation. In Boston and NYC, public transportation use is reasonably common across all income brackets, so there isn't any social stigma to using public transportation (although, at least in Boston, there is somewhat of a bus/subway-rail divide). In other places, public transportation is much more prevalent among those with lower income, so there can be corresponding negative associations.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
As many of you guys know, I am a conservative. There are many areas where I disagree with conservatives and one of these areas has to do with public transit. Why are conservatives so against improving public transit? I am a professional, college-educated person who rely solely upon public transit in Los Angeles Metro area, which is finally starting to see some much needed improvements. I have noticed that in a lot of conservative areas and suburbs, public transit tends to be scanty and limited. Why is that?
I dont know why you would try to paint a picture with such a broad brush

99% of the concervatives out there are not againt a mass transit system...they are against the corrupt government system that never does the job correctly

the NY MTA is BROKE, poorly run, and corrupt.......and the layout of the system was poorly planned and never gets updated (for routes, etc)

an example: I live 12 miles from work...when there is no traffic (maybe 2am) it would take me 15 minutes.....but during rush hour it takes me almost 1 hr, I use a tank of gas (14 gallons) a week (at $3/gallon, that's $42 a week or 168 a month)..............to take mass transit I would have to DRIVE 3 miles to the trainstation, then wait for a train, to get to the treminal (jamaca station) to pick up the subway (to flushing), then hop on a bus to get to work, and it would take me over 2 hours......and a monthly ticket for the long island railroad is over $300 a month...pluss the subway and the bus

that's why many dont like mass transit....because the SYSTEM is just screwed up

Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Because they can't take their pick up on the bus,
That means they would have to sit and ride with people who aren't """Real Americans"""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies