Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:16 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times

Advertisements

Here's the Fourth Amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

How is asking someone to show his legal residency status a violation of this amendment? Asking for ID is not a search nor a seizure, so I'd like those who are claiming Fourth Amendment violations to explain their case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 AM

331 posts, read 498,876 times
It isn't. Otherwise, millions of law enforcement officers across the United States would be guilty of violating civil rights.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
It isn't. Otherwise, millions of law enforcement officers across the United States would be guilty of violating civil rights.
That was my impression as well, but I'm not a constitutional expert. There are many here claiming the AZ law is a violation of the 4th. So far, they've only made assertions. I'd like a reasoned (or legal) argument as to why they think this is so.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Here's the Fourth Amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

How is asking someone to show his legal residency status a violation of this amendment? Asking for ID is not a search nor a seizure, so I'd like those who are claiming Fourth Amendment violations to explain their case.
Well, you can always ask . . .

Old 04-25-2010, 03:25 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times
Well I'm not an expert on the 4th Amendment. But if I was just driving around town obeying all the laws and speed limit, and an officer randomly stopped me and asked for my ID, I think it would bother me. I would want to know why. Don't know if that violates the 4th but I don't think it would be the right thing to do without just cause.

Maybe somebody else would know?

Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
With any invasion, it is very important to identify the invaders and remove them or eliminate them.

Asking for ID in times of an invasion, is the American thing to do, to keep our nation secure

The problem is, for the last 100 years our nation is teaching our children to not think about America, but to think globally. It has cause unpatriotic chaos among Americans. Many don't care about America, if it doesn't effect them personally.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Well I'm not an expert on the 4th Amendment. But if I was just driving around town obeying all the laws and speed limit, and an officer randomly stopped me and asked for my ID, I think it would bother me. I would want to know why. Don't know if that violates the 4th but I don't think it would be the right thing to do without just cause.

Maybe somebody else would know?
But the AZ bill is NOT saying that. There is no "random" citizenship checks..it's still based on probable cause.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Dont break the law, and you wont be asked for your ID.
Do break the law and you will be asked................LIKE THEY ALREADY DO.......

ITs really that simple

Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the AZ bill is NOT saying that. There is no "random" citizenship checks..it's still based on probable cause.
It is most definitely not based on probable cause. I believe the standard in the new statute is "reasonable suspicion" or something like that, which the courts have held is a less stringent standard than probable cause.

I think many people are justifiably concerned that the police will consider brown skin as a reasonable ground for suspicion.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Dont break the law, and you wont be asked for your ID.
Do break the law and you will be asked................LIKE THEY ALREADY DO.......

ITs really that simple
Probably cause to think you are here illegally. How do you define that?

Arizona governor signs immigration law; foes promise fight

It will require anyone whom police suspect of being in the country illegally to produce "an alien registration document," such as a green card or other proof of citizenship, such as a passport or Arizona driver's license.

So a hispanic person from Colorado goes down to AZ for some purpose, and the polic feel there is "probably cause" to stop this person, say, speaking Spanish with someone. The person has a CO driver's license. Then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies