Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:47 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
What is your definition of "productive"? Owning capital and charging others for the priveledge of its use? Trading around stocks? Running a 100 year old company in to the ground and getting paid 20 million a year to do it?

Productive people would be run over and railroaded by libertarianism, the only thing is, most people with the Ron Paul sticker are too stupid to realize exactly what they are asking for. In fact, half of them are probably collecting welfare or are employed by the bloated government they so loathe.

that's a pretty closed minded ignorant thing to say...

surely you have more belief in the American people, right?

i mean, just like anything, you'll have your sour grapes out there, but the beautiful thing about private run businesses, is you either sink or swim...using questionable business practices will catch up to you, and end with failure most likely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
This is the first time I've heard it explained how the two primary parties prevent 3rd party candidates from getting on the Presidential Debates for the media exposure they'd need to actually get their messages out.
It's even worse than that. The TV national news shows (ABC, NBC, CBS) themselves pick your PARTY candidates by figuratively putting their money on two candidates and freezing out the others in each party from media attention. The explantion for it is their shows minus commercials are only about 21 minutes long and they won't spend that valuable time on the candidates they consider to be the lesser candidates. Read "Reality Show" by Howard Kurtz to see how they operate.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Either Nader or Paul would be far superior to either Obama (or Bush). But we only elect empty suits or guys that are willing to play ball with those really in charge.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Nah, I mean the small business owner. Somewhere in the area of high six figures and producing real goods and services used by Americans as well as others around the world.
A good number of "small business owners" are not productive at all. They are wealthy on the blood, sweat and tears of the people they "employ" who are the ones who are actually productive, and the ones that you, the libertarians, and the whole of the right wing hate.

Self employed entrepreneurs who are the sole employee of their enterprise, I have nothing against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Cite?
I guess you missed English 101, where you learn what needs to be "cited" and what doesn't. Here is a hint, opinions do not need to be "cited". Additionally, original thoughts do not need to be cited.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i mean, just like anything, you'll have your sour grapes out there, but the beautiful thing about private run businesses, is you either sink or swim...using questionable business practices will catch up to you, and end with failure most likely...
Thats odd, because, Microsoft and Walmart have been screwing people since they were conceived, and I dont see either of them losing their vice grip.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
A good number of "small business owners" are not productive at all. They are wealthy on the blood, sweat and tears of the people they "employ" who are the ones who are actually productive, and the ones that you, the libertarians, and the whole of the right wing hate.

Self employed entrepreneurs who are the sole employee of their enterprise, I have nothing against.
here's my problem with your arguement...

those non productive, wealthy small business owners hire people that have a CHOICE to work for them, or not.

i don't see any other alternative...just curious, in your view, how would you want things to work?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Thats odd, because, Microsoft and Walmart have been screwing people since they were conceived, and I dont see either of them losing their vice grip.
again...if people don't like Microsoft or Walmart, there are alternative choices.

they aren't failing b/c people continue choosing to buy their products.

am i missing something here? i don't proclaim to know it all, but this seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
those non productive, wealthy small business owners hire people that have a CHOICE to work for them, or not.
Actually they don't. Those who have no capital are forced to exchange their labor for basic neccessities. That is economic duress my friend.

Most working stiffs would NOT be working stiffs if they had a better option.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
again...if people don't like Microsoft or Walmart, there are alternative choices.

they aren't failing b/c people continue choosing to buy their products.

You claimed that poor business practices eventually catch up.......my claim is, no they dont, and actually, poor businesses practices get you ahead in capitalism more then they hinder you.

Microsoft has made so much money and gained so much market share by stealing technology, collusion, monopoly and screwing over their employees, that they can afford to throw money at the law suits and bad publicity that came out of it.

Same exact thing with Walmart. Any negative results of their abuse dont even cost them a fraction of the benefits they received from the abuses.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Actually they don't. Those who have no capital are forced to exchange their labor for basic neccessities. That is economic duress my friend.

Most working stiffs would NOT be working stiffs if they had a better option.

i have a buddy i've known since high school...didn't do very well in school, and chose not to enter college.

instead, after going from job to job, he made the decision to start up a lawn mowing business. didn't cost him much at all for a lawn mower, and soon he was making enough money to purchase more equipment, which led to him expanding into actual landscaping.

his business began picking up, so much that he hired some help, which allowed his business to grow even more...

of course, this didn't all happen over night, and i know for a fact he did have to borrow some money from a bank to buy another truck and a couple trailors to haul around all his equipment.

but he's doing very well, and still gets dirty out there doing work.

his parents weren't well off by any means...he didn't have a pot to **** in after high school. is this the type of person you are referring to?? someone who didn't have any capital, and was "forced" to exchange his labor for necessities?

i'm also open minded to the fact that, not everyone has the desire to own the responsibilities that come with owning a business, and there's a place for them in this world. not everyone will have a happy ending...

c'mon man...i want to understand where you're coming from, but it's sounding like you're bitter over other people's success.

i've given you a clear example of someone who didn't have any capital, and made something out of nothing...who exactly are you refering to??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies