Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
I see you are still confused. When the spill intitially happens it is the company's responsibility, but once it endangers the coast lines of several states, it's a different story.

I see you don't remember the mayor saying he didn't need help because he was going to dispatch the busses to start evacuating people, but when he finally got around to it, they were all under water, then he realized things were out of control and asked for help. That is a completely different subject though.
In the words of my friends in Missouri,

Show me.

I know that once it starts to threaten our homeland, that the military steps in, thats exactly what they are doing. However, its also BP's job to fit the bill for all recovery efforts that we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:25 PM

297 posts, read 520,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Americans aren't going to really care that an area that has one fourth of the country's wetlands is compromised by this disaster-they will still want to be able to drive two blocks in their cars to the local mall to shop-drilling will go on- the Exxon Valdez disaster didn't change any attitudes- Americans will not learn to live without oil until it is all sucked out of the ground- no matter what the cost to the earth-

I have no car by the way- I ride my bicycle or take the bus-and if it were up to me- Marijuana would be legal so we could use hemp all to replace a lot of petroleum uses in manufacturing-
I assume you live in an urban neighborhood? Unfortunately, some of us do not have the option to walk or bide anywhere. I don't even live in a neighborhood; it's just a street. Once you leave my street, you can go left or right: both lead you to major highways. Along the highway is just strip malls and they're all a few miles apart. So unfortunately, walking or riding a bike is just too dangerous plus a lot of the stores are miles away.

In August, I am moving to a more urban area where I can walk/ride bike everywhere. I do think more should be done to encourage less car driving in areas where it is possible to walk/bike ride but that's really hard to do in the 'burbs.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM

683 posts, read 428,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's a difference between a "natural disaster" and the effects they have, and a man-made disaster, which is a corporate responsibility to clean up.
But wait, I thought the disaster after hurricane Katrina was man made because Bush and Cheney went diving into that flood water and blew up those levees?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Obama should worry less about who's to pay for the abatement and do whatever has to be done to mitigate the damage. Also the politics of drilling can wait. Do what needs to be done now.
He is throwing everything we can at it.

Its called mutli-tasking. Maybe you've heard of it?

The President is doing exactly what he should be doing.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
In the words of my friends in Missouri,

Show me.

I know that once it starts to threaten our homeland, that the military steps in, thats exactly what they are doing. However, its also BP's job to fit the bill for all recovery efforts that we do.
BP is financially responsible for the entire tab. The federal government can step in and act as it sees fit.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Default ANOTHER oil rig overturns in Gulf

Second drilling rig overturns in Louisiana (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/30/AR2010043001864.html - broken link)

Well, there goes the argument that this doesn't happen often enough to do something about it.

Still, I bet many people won't care.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
BP is financially responsible for the entire tab. The federal government can step in and act as it sees fit.
I was referring to the "Ray Nagun didn't ask for help" thing.

Yeah, I know that BP is responsible for the entire tab. Not arguing that at all.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:41 PM

683 posts, read 428,919 times
That's in Morgan City, not in the Gulf. It looks like they were moving the rig and nothing is leaking, hell there's nothing to leak except diesel fuel which isn't leaking either.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
That's in Morgan City, not in the Gulf. It looks like they were moving the rig and nothing is leaking, hell there's nothing to leak except diesel fuel which isn't leaking either.
Close enough.

Still, I've been hearing people say "These things don't happen that often" for the last week. Well, something happened again, in less than a week.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I was referring to the "Ray Nagun didn't ask for help" thing.

Yeah, I know that BP is responsible for the entire tab. Not arguing that at all.
RWers will always seek to deflect and change the subject.

At least we've heard the last of drilling off our beaches for a while. Virginia Governor McDonald looks like the industry stooge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies