Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times

Advertisements

Does the law really allow police to stop a person for no other reason than to check citizenship? I was under the impression that the citizenship check would be for people stopped for other reasons (traffic violations, committing crimes, etc). Not sure if that would change peoples' opinions - just wondering.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Does the law really allow police to stop a person for no other reason than to check citizenship? I was under the impression that the citizenship check would be for people stopped for other reasons (traffic violations, committing crimes, etc). Not sure if that would change peoples' opinions - just wondering.
You be the judge:

Quote:
E. A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, WITHOUT A WARRANT, MAY ARREST A PERSON IF THE OFFICER HAS PROBABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSON HAS COMMITTED ANY PUBLIC OFFENSE THAT MAKES THE PERSON REMOVABLE FROM THE UNITED STATES.
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Your kool aid glass is empty, dude, you need a refill, fast. This is BS, too, and I was actually asking someone else for the proof. This is just poopoo.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:10 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Your kool aid glass is empty, dude, you need a refill, fast. This is BS, too, and I was actually asking someone else for the proof. This is just poopoo.
need more proof?

Quote:
Washington (CNN) - If Arizona lawmakers have their way, President Obama might have to prove he's a U.S. citizen to get on the state's ballot in 2012.
On Monday, Arizona's House of Representatives voted 31-22 to advance legislation that would require presidential candidates to provide documents, including birth certificates, proving their citizenship.
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Arizona lawmakers still pushing ‘birther’ measure « - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
sucks to be you, deal with it.
no it doesn't suck to be me. but what your post say is that you don't care if others are targeted no matter what the reason. perhaps you should join law enforcement

Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Thanks for the link.

Section B preceding section E reads as follows:

B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

So it sounds like you can't stop someone just to check citizenship - there would have to be some other reason for the stop. I agree the wording "reasonable suspicion exists" does leave a lot of wiggle room once the stop is made though. Now I need to find out what "any lawful contact" means.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Thanks for the link.

Section B preceding section E reads as follows:

B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

So it sounds like you can't just stop someone just to check citizenship - there would have to be some other reason for the stop. I agree the wording "reasonable suspicion exists" does leave a lot of wiggle room once the stop is made though. Now I need to find out what "any lawful contact" means.
That is so vague that it's amazing. "Reasonable suspicion exists that person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the united states". How exactly is that determined?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Stupid is as stupid does!

Do you people not see the connection? Well apparently not. Jewish people of 1930s Germany had to carry papers to prove they were Jewish, to set them apart of resst of German society-so that they could be persecuted.

Of course I was referring to 1930s Germany and not 2010 Germany.

Have any of you ever picked up a history book?

To Chorizo, do you seriously think an officer will pull over a "pasty whitey" for suspect of being an illegal alien. The type of profile doesn't scream immigrant. It screams the ethnic majority of Americans. I'm gonna do some racial profinling right here. Given your sn you are probably of Portuguese decent, which means you have dark olive skin-I'm Greek, so I can relate. After about a week in Arizona's sun, you'll be very dark and tan, you'll all of a sudden look like all the Hispanics around you, you'll be driving along, boom, you get pulled over, and you won't have your birth certificate on you, or a passport, what will you do? the officer assumes your hispanic, and you can't prove otherwise.
I don't believe that pulling people over based only on skin color is going to occur, regardless of what color it is (sure there may be some bad apple cops, and this is addressed below) My point is that anyone here illegally is subject to the same laws.

All this legislation does is provide local police officers to check immigration status if there is sufficient reason to believe the person is here illegally. Seeing someone with darker skin is not sufficient reason. The PDs in Arizona are made of very professional and well mannered people. Sure you have to take into account that there will be some bad apples in the bunch, so anyone of them caught engaging in checking status with out cause would face disciplinary action.

Scenario: Man is pulled over for speeding 15+ in a 45. Is unable to provide drivers license, or insurance. The tags on the vehicle are expired. The man speaks very little English. He identifies himself with a foreign sounding name. This is now enough to suspect that he may be in the country illegally. At this point, this man could be Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Romanian, French, Iraqi, Greek, any number of other nationalities or possibly even a new LEGAL American. Skin color has not factored into the decision to check immigration status at all.

Now, I am not saying that skin color WONT factor into it. Lets be honest with each other - we all know where the BULK of illegal immigrants in this country came from - but the PDs pulling people/stopping over only based on their skin color is not provisioned in this bill, and it is something that would be disciplined were it to happen.

On a side note, yes Jewish people in Germany had to carry papers, but so did the rest of the country.

If you are here legally, whether you be a citizen or just visiting, have your ID with you and as a visitor, have your passport/visa/whatever else document you have that the laws already require you to carry - and you will have no issue.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
That is so vague that it's amazing. "Reasonable suspicion exists that person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the united states". How exactly is that determined?
Easy brown paper bag test

Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Can I join the tea party or get a special stamp so I want have to be continually questioned by the cops in front of my children. How white is white enough not to have to produce my papers. Can I put a symbol of some sort on my door or car? Id like to hear from tea partiers because I know you love this racist law
You mentioned "blacks" in your title. But "blacks" do not enter this country illegally from Mexico. So why would you be concerned that blacks might be asked to show proof they are here legally? What you are doing is what many others are doing, and that is to use this to stir up racism charges. That is not what this is about, and you know it full well.

It remains to be seen how this law will be implemented; it was only signed into law a few days ago. But, the intent of the law is not racist at all; it is to deal with a growing problem that the Federal Government refuses to deal with. Why?

Arizona is not the only state with an illegal alien problem. All the border states have this problem. They have been petitioning the Federal Government for at least two decades (if not longer) to enforce our laws. They have done nothing. Declaring amnesty isn't the answer. The lawbreakers will continue to flock in, and in ten years time we will be right back where we are today. History repeats itself. We have an example.

Neither does this have anything to do with the Tea Party movement. About 70% of Arizonians are in support of this law (which is what was reported this morning). Are 70% of Arizonians Tea Party members? Doubtful. However, I'm sure those involved in the Tea Party movement do want our immigration laws enforced.

Why will the Federal Government not act? The reason is because Democrats have blocked every effort to secure our borders. Why? Because Hispanics vote Democrat (by and large). Democrats have an interest in continuing to allow illegals to enter the country, and then to see to it that they vote (whether they can legally or not). ACORN (now changing it's name) will see to that.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 04-26-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies