Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,384,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
In typical Bay Area fashion, you miss the point.

How about you leave the choice in "healthy choice" and not legislate your choices or that of the county?

How about you let parents choose how much fat and how much sugar they want to give to their children?

It's not for government to be telling a private business like McDonalds how they can package or sell their product, and it's not for the government to decide for consumers what options, healthy or not, they should prefer or be able to buy.

It is so incredible to me that anyone could support this kind of crap. What has happened to this country? How did we go so far from the principles of our founding fathers?
As I mention above.... the parents can still buy those meals, there just won't be a prize for buying it. There will still be prizes for other meals.

You still have a choice. And the parents can still choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,508,466 times
If you outlaw Happy Meals, only outlaws will have Happy Meals...Chubby, little 6-year-old outlaws...

Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
If you outlaw Happy Meals, only outlaws will have Happy Meals...Chubby, little 6-year-old outlaws...

Little Hamburglars!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,657 times
Quote:
In typical Bay Area fashion, you miss the point.

How about you leave the choice in "healthy choice" and not legislate your choices or that of the county?

How about you let parents choose how much fat and how much sugar they want to give to their children?

It's not for government to be telling a private business like McDonalds how they can package or sell their product, and it's not for the government to decide for consumers what options, healthy or not, they should prefer or be able to buy.

It is so incredible to me that anyone could support this kind of crap. What has happened to this country? How did we go so far from the principles of our founding fathers?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,797,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Little Hamburglars!
Didn't he get banned too, so we could save our impressionable young children from their inevitable future lives of crime that would be caused by a cartoon character who habitually steals hamburgers from clowns?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Didn't he get banned too, so we could save our impressionable young children from their inevitable future lives of crime that would be caused by a cartoon character who habitually steals hamburgers from clowns?
I don't know.... I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,580,606 times
Yes, the Hamburglar was deleted from the McDonald's pantheon when someone decided that a character whose purpose was to steal hamburgers wasn't sending a positive message. (For the same reason, children can now watch Yogi Bear in his perennial crusade in support of ecology. He no longer spends his waking hours plotting to steal picnic baskets).

Apparently, if you don't show crime to children, they won't enter a life of crime. Something makes me think this logic is just a tad bit off, but I can't put my finger on what it is!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:33 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,625,630 times
Ironically, I feel that Santa Clara County would be inclined to approve adult sex toys in Happy Meal bags.................as a health education enhancement.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,182,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
As I mention above.... the parents can still buy those meals, there just won't be a prize for buying it. There will still be prizes for other meals.

You still have a choice. And the parents can still choose.
Again....you don't get it. You're focusing in on the details and not the big picture.

The big picture here is whether or not the government should be legislating what products a private businesses may sell or how they package them, simply because some in government and in the public don't approve. This goes along with the "soda tax" and all the crap around transfat. This is not the business of government.

Look, I'm not overweight and I eat reasonably healthy and workout all week, but if I chose to sit around and eat bon bons all day, and buy my kids cheeseburgers and fries, then I'm entitled to do it without government weighing in on my choice. McDonalds is entitled to sell cheeseburgers in whatever packaging they want, again free from government intervention.

Let's tackle the real problems in this country, like government spending running out of control and eroding freedom. Let's get back to liberty and the nation that our ancestors fought to create.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Again....you don't get it. You're focusing in on the details and not the big picture.

The big picture here is whether or not the government should be legislating what products a private businesses may sell or how they package them, simply because some in government and in the public don't approve. This goes along with the "soda tax" and all the crap around transfat. This is not the business of government.

Look, I'm not overweight and I eat reasonably healthy and workout all week, but if I chose to sit around and eat bon bons all day, and buy my kids cheeseburgers and fries, then I'm entitled to do it without government weighing in on my choice. McDonalds is entitled to sell cheeseburgers in whatever packaging they want, again free from government intervention.

Let's tackle the real problems in this country, like government spending running out of control and eroding freedom. Let's get back to liberty and the nation that our ancestors fought to create.
I see that we won't agree on this... but I still think this ordinance was ok. Nothing is being prevented from being sold... but targeting kids with toys as a reward in order to sell food that contributes to a nationwide problem, a problem that even the armed forces is saying effects security, obesity.... is in bounds as far as I'm concerned.

Offer adults 'gifts' for buying something that isn't necessarily good for them... fine.

But putting limits on how kids are induced into wanting a meal because of a toy... and having that food be unhealthy, that's something I think is ok to say to those doing the manipulation, "Not here".

Again, the food can still be purchased and the toys given with other meals that are within the nutritional limits set by the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies