Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I doubt there is ANY room for someone like me in the Republican party.
A black lesbian atheist who actually gives a crap about working class people? Nah....
Well now that is where you are wrong..........Republicans looooove Black lesbian atheists, as long as you have tolerance for those with differing view points. just curious, do you identify yourself as Bla.....for short?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
So you'd propose to lower taxes, wages, and lower regulations so we can compete with the likes of companies such as China?
I'm just telling you what the issue is, companies in the US can't compete with overseas competitors. If they do not move their operations overseas they go out of business.

I often use the example of someone I know personally that had a small business making coal stoves. A Chinese manufacture came to him and offered to make his stoves shipped here in a box ready to be sold cheaper than what it was costing him to make them here . He didn't take that deal and ended up selling to another two people who will also keep making them here. Their problem down the road will be if a competitor takes that deal or if the Chinese manufacturer decides to market their own product here.

This is the problem most companies in the US face. The only thing saving them is name recognition and it's small niche.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:

I've never understood why our economy is based on consumer spending when most of the things we're spending our money on are produced abroad.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have our money going towards keeping more Americans employed than increasing our trade deficit?
And you think punishing the businesses is the answer?

What about punishing ourselves as consumers for shopping at these places that sell foreign made goods and expecting rock bottom prices? Did you ever think of that? WE are the ones to blame for companies that outsource work. Our population is full of cheapskates looking for the best bargain (nothing particularly wrong with that, however there are obviously implications), and unfortunately, businesses have to find drastic ways to get the costs down to give us what we want.

Quit blaming the job creators for crying out loud. It's supply and demand... if demand was high for products produced in the US, guess what? Businesses would alter suit. That is the beauty of a capitalist free market.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post

What about punishing ourselves as consumers for shopping at these places that sell foreign made goods and expecting rock bottom prices? Did you ever think of that? WE are the ones to blame for companies that outsource work. Our population is full of cheapskates looking for the best bargain (nothing particularly wrong with that, however there are obviously implications), and unfortunately, businesses have to find drastic ways to get the costs down to give us what we want.

Quit blaming the job creators for crying out loud. It's supply and demand, and if demand was high for products produced in the US, guess what? Businesses would alter suit. That is the beauty of a capitalist free market.
Well said.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:15 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
A black lesbian atheist who actually gives a crap about working class people? Nah....
The other party welcomes you with open arms Im sure. However after you are welcomed in they could not give 2 shts either about "working class people."

The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is Republicans are upfront about their corporatist agenda.

The Democrats hide it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
LoL, I love a good pun like this!

Though sadly, people who vote that way really might think that way...and think they are better then everyone else. That's the truly sad thing.

Dunning-Kruger effect - RationalWiki

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is how stupid people not only fail to realise their stupidity, but consider themselves much more competent than everyone else. They're too stupid to know that they're stupid."

Of course, people think you are telling the truth...because it honestly sounds a great deal like what the partisan nuts scream on a daily basis around here.

Poe's Law - RationalWiki

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
More continues if you click on the link.

Source:Practical Vision: Why I Will Vote Republican (http://practical-vision.blogspot.com/2010/04/why-i-will-vote-republican.html#more - broken link)
LOL this is priceless!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Please don't bring race into this...it is a non-issue.

Please don't bring sexual orientation into this - if a straight person did you would scream discrimination.

Please don't bring religion into this. We do have separation of church and state.

And to think the democratic party cares about the working class is nothing short of naive. The republican party cares about self-sufficiency. If you believe in that, and care about a sustainable economy the republican party would welcome you.

Please don't use minority status as a crutch. We are trying to overcome discrimination in this country. Not promote it.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post

Quit blaming the job creators for crying out loud. It's supply and demand... if demand was high for products produced in the US, guess what? Businesses would alter suit. That is the beauty of a capitalist free market.
Believe it or not, not every business considers paying taxes a punishment.
They're not all brainwashed into thinking government is evil.

I don't remember Americans demanding products be made in China and Japan so we'll pay less for them. From what I've heard, when NAFTA was passed, lots of people were upset. I wouldn't know if that was true because I was quite young when NAFTA was passed.

I think there is high demand for products made in the United States, the hard part is finding places that truly make their products in the United States.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I don't remember Americans demanding products be made in China and Japan so we'll pay less for them.
Yes they do because they want cheap, cheap comes from overseas. That's not to say China can't make great products either, they are just feeding the demand.

Quote:

I think there is high demand for products made in the United States, the hard part is finding places that truly make their products in the United States.
You'd be surprised but there is lot of stuff made here, mostly high quality top of the line products where American companies can still compete. For example you can go get a lawnmower at Wally world for about $100, in 5 or ten years you'll be back at Wally world getting another lawnmower for $100. If you wanted American product you'd have to head to the lawnmower store and pay $400 or $500 but you just bought a lawnmower you can use for the rest of your life. The trouble is people don't think long term, all they know is they still have $300 in their pocket to go buy more junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies