Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times

Advertisements

Combining the earnestness of a journalism professor and the sarcasm of a satirist, Mr. Stewart routinely charges that Fox’s news anchors and commentators distort Mr. Obama’s policies and advance a conservative agenda. He reminds some viewers of the left-wing group Media Matters but much funnier.

“Stewart does a great job of using comedy to expose the tragedy that is Fox News, and he also underscores the seriousness of it,” said Eric Burns, the president of Media Matters.
But there he was, checking in with the White House when Fox didn’t. The inspiration for the “Fox & Friends” segment about the “Islamic image” came from The New York Post, which, like Fox News, is owned by the News Corporation.
Jon Stewart of ‘The Daily Show’ Takes On Fox News - NYTimes.com

Some eye-opening examples of the disservice Fox routinely does to their hapless viewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,296,330 times
Fox news is almost as ridiculous as The Young Turds.

YouTube - Did Obama Raise Your Taxes?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
As much as I hate Fox, I view Stewart as nothing more than a liberal talking head any more. His viewer base is liberal 16-30 year olds. He speaks only to them.

Do not confuse comedy with news.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,320,756 times
Great article. Fox makes it so easy for the comedians when they do stuff like call the logo for the Nuclear Security Summit an "Islamic image" when it was actually a model of an atom.

To HNSQ up above: Steward has many viewers over 50 and, yes, we know it's satire---but it's fact based satire unlike Fox's star Beck who makes stuff up.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,123,782 times

Fox news does that routinely.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,080,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
As much as I hate Fox, I view Stewart as nothing more than a liberal talking head any more. His viewer base is liberal 16-30 year olds. He speaks only to them.

My parents are in their 50s and watch him and Steven T Colbert on a nightly basis.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
Quote:

I agree with you about Stewart, he is pretty marginal as an objective commentator, even factoring in the hit or miss humor.

I've been watching the MSNBC shows the past few months, recording one each night and rotating around to all their shows. Anyone who thinks FOX has a bias should watch Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow sometime.

Lot's of MSNBC fodder for Stewart, but I doubt he takes much of a shot.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
you're right that the target audience is young people, but I disagree with your opinion that he "speaks only to liberals." I am a slightly conservative 16-30'er, and he appeals to me and my cohorts. he is a typical big city weenie liberal, but he frames the discussion in a way that is smart and sensible to any moderate, non-radical person.

someone like Bill Maher would qualify to me as a "liberal talking head," as would most of what you find on MSNBC. there's a lot of crap out there, but Stewart isn't bad IMO.

Quote:
all news is a branch of the entertainment industry.

Last edited by le roi; 04-27-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
You must be referring to the video clips of Foxnews that Jon Stewart plays to show Foxnews' never ending hypocracy.

Don't confuse comedy with news, don't watch Foxnews.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,061,882 times
Whatever crazy crap they pull next, even better if it's against him, he's going to capitalize on it and get even more renown. Keep it up Fox.

The really sad part is the Fox News watchers who see Stewart and defend Fox News for screaming the lies they do.

"He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing him. This falsehood of tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time depraves all its good dispositions."

---Thomas Jefferson Letter to Peter Carr (19 August 1785)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies