Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Will you take the time to read George W. Bush's memoir when it's released in November?

Are you curious to hear the President's perspective of the events that unfolded during his two terms, or are you content with news accounts and commentary?

Why or why not?

George W. Bush book 'Decision Points' out Nov. 9 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100425/ap_on_en_ot/us_books_george_w_bush - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Maybe a few years down the road, when time softens my views about the guy. Isn't it a little early to be releasing memoirs? Didn't Clinton wait 5 years or so?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Definitely will read this, but I won't buy it. I'll wait until it's at the library. I don't like the guy, but I wanna hear some stuff straight from the horse's mouth.

I think everyone should read it.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Maybe a few years down the road, when time softens my views about the guy. Isn't it a little early to be releasing memoirs? Didn't Clinton wait 5 years or so?
Clinton's memoir was a few pages short of 1,000 pages long. It probably took him 5 years to write it. I read the damn thing and it took him 6 pages to describe how he used to kick a rock down a dirt road in Hope, Arkansas as a kid. The whole book lumbered along like that. I only found it mildly interesting in totality.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 PM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
NO...how would I know he was not lying about anything or just writing what he thinks we want to hear can't be a tell al SS will not allow it nor the fedsl...nope, nope, nope!!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Will you take the time to read George W. Bush's memoir when it's released in November?

Are you curious to hear the President's perspective of the events that unfolded during his two terms, or are you content with news accounts and commentary?

Why or why not?

George W. Bush book 'Decision Points' out Nov. 9 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100425/ap_on_en_ot/us_books_george_w_bush - broken link)

I have no interest in GWB's accounting of his Presdency. I know what resulted from it.

And..no, I have never read Barack Obama's books, either.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Yep, once its in the local library.

Of course, I hope its not under the fiction section, as I fear it will be.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:15 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Clinton's piece was more an autobiography. Kind of hard to get into it if you're not a fan of his. Although the part about his beard and "Socks" was awesome. From what I understand this is almost exclusively about Bush's presidency, no?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I have no interest in GWB's accounting of his Presdency. I know what resulted from it.

And..no, I have never read Barack Obama's books, either.

Personally, that comes off as very shallow to me. While no one should take the President's words as the gospel, aren't you curious to know if you've potentially been bamboozled by the press and other media? One of the parts that I enjoy most about reading the memoirs of political operatives is that they usually don't parse words when showing support for, or castigating, former co-workers and the policies that resulted over time. For example, in Bill Clinton's memoir, he completely absolves himself of a few terror-related incidents, but his own politically appointed FBI director, Louis Freeh, completely contradicts Clinton's assertions and lambastes the President for being disingenous and, frankly, a liar. Does it not appeal to you to hear what Bush has to say in order to be able to follow up with other memoirs that may conflict or concur with what the President stated?

There were things that I learned to respect about Clinton after reading his memoir, and other things that made me dislike him more than ever. It seems that the same could probably be expected from Bush's writings, considering you don't like the guy. You may actually learn something.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I'm not a fan of Bush, at all, but I would like to read it out of interest in how he recounts his Presidency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies