Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it appropriate for The Washington Times to call transgender people "weirdos"?
Yes 24 53.33%
No 19 42.22%
Not sure 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I lean toward agreeing with you. As long as the American Psychiatric Association calls transgenderism "gender identity disorder", I don't think it's right for Congress to put them in the same category as homosexuals. With that said, I don't believe the Times should call someone with a mental problem a "weirdo". It's unprofessional and crass.
The Psychiatric Association also classified homosexuality in a similar manner not all that long ago. Changed that due to pressure, and will probably do the same with transgenderism. They like to be pc.

While everyone is talking about "rights" of select groups, what about the rights of everyone else?

I agree that IF it is a mental problem, it should not be referred to as "weirdo".

Last edited by swbtoo; 04-27-2010 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The Psyciatric Association also classified homosexuality in a similar manner not all that long ago. Changed that due to pressure, and will probably do the same with transgenderism.

They like to be pc.
They already did, they don't consider transgender issues to be mental illness. But that was done purely out of political correctness.

I don't think that homosexuality is a mental illness. It's abnormal, but it's not the same as wanting to surgically remove your genitalia because you think you are something that you are not.. Homosexuals arent' trying to be somethingi they are not..

Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Mentally ill people should get treatment, and not be enabled.
That is a good idea, but we are talking about transgender people here, not mentally ill people.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The Psyciatric Association also classified homosexuality in a similar manner not all that long ago.
That was in 1973 or 1974, so I don't think we should jump ahead of ourselves and include transgenderism in the same category.

Quote:
Changed that due to pressure
That sounds like a biased opinion. You have to consider that lots of research and studies have been done on homosexuality, and that professional opinions can change.

Quote:
While everyone is talking about "rights" of select groups, what about the rights of everyone else?
Which rights are you referring to, specifically?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
They already did, they don't consider transgender issues to be mental illness.
The editorial says that it is still officially a mental disorder. Is the editorial wrong?

Quote:
But that was done purely out of political correctness.
Really? How do you know that?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
That is a good idea, but we are talking about transgender people here, not mentally ill people.
They are mentally ill, and some PC decision to say they're not doesn't make them not mentally ill.

If I took a knife and cut off my penis because I think I should be a woman, despite having a penis, I'm not mentally ill?

If I am white, but think i am black, and want to have surgery to make myself look black, I'm not mentally ill?

If I think I should have been a dolphin, and have a fin implanted into me, I'm not mentally ill?

Quit with the political correctness. It doesn't take away the reality of the situation.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The editorial says that it is still officially a mental disorder. Is the editorial wrong?

Really? How do you know that?

Can you give me any other possible situation where it would not be considered a mental illness if someone couldn't accept what they are, and wanted to have drastic surgery and take dangerous medications to become something they are not?

Can you?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM

Question for liberals who don't think transgender is a mental illness. Here's a hypothetical.

I am a beta male, I haven't had sex for years, and I decide, I don't need a penis, it would be easier to have it removed, and replaced with a straw, as I dont' need it for sex.

Am I mentally ill?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM

19,832 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Kind of like George Soros eh?

Exactly!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Can you give me any other possible situation where it would not be considered a mental illness if someone couldn't accept what they are, and wanted to have drastic surgery and take dangerous medications to become something they are not?

Can you?
I'm not a psychiatrist, and I doubt you are either. I do know that human sexuality and psychology are very complicated, so I think it's best to leave these proclamations to the experts.

You keep saying that they don't consider transsexualism to be a disorder, but they do - at least when it's called "gender identity disorder".

https://health.google.com/health/ref...ntity+disorder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies