Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
A quorum is a majority, the Dems have the majority. So if the GOP + Ben Nelson doesn't show up its still a quorum. Regardless, it looks like the GOP is ending filibustering debate.
Its not a majority, its a fixed number needed to pass a bill..

minimum number required for valid meeting: a fixed minimum percentage or number of members of a legislative assembly, committee, or other organization who must be present before the members can conduct valid business

Do you need 50 or 60 to proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its not a majority, its a fixed number needed to pass a bill..

minimum number required for valid meeting: a fixed minimum percentage or number of members of a legislative assembly, committee, or other organization who must be present before the members can conduct valid business

Do you need 50 or 60 to proceed?
A Quorum is the number of Senators (51) who must be present before business may be conducted.
Unless challenged by a point of order, the Senate conducts daily business without a quorum present.

Quorum

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Do you know what they changed from the bill to allow it to move forward? I know Republicans have wanted a bill to proceed, but not the bill that was proposed..
sounds like they got the to big to fail bailout fund removed.obama cant buy any more private businesses

Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Do you know what they changed from the bill to allow it to move forward? I know Republicans have wanted a bill to proceed, but not the bill that was proposed..
I believe, however not positive, they agree on too big to fail and discarded the $50 bil wind down fund. There are still several areas to be worked out on the floor.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I believe, however not positive, they agree on too big to fail and discarded the $50 bil wind down fund. There are still several areas to be worked out on the floor.
I think you are on the right track, but I'm not sure if the $50 bil wind down fund was discarded or if the language in it was tweaked.

The major sticking points at this time (though not the only ones) seem to be how much control the Consumer Protection Agency will have, as well as the derivatives regulations.

Shelby has stated he still favors blocking debate on the bill, but would leave the matter up to Republican leaders. My guess is the GOP leaders such as McConnell would probably want to keep this off of the floor as well and continue to block debate, but realize with the likely defection of Voinovich (who stated previously even if no deal was made he wouldn't filibuster much longer) he wouldn't be able to keep the filibuster going as likely others would jump.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Financial Reform has moved forward. The GOP agreed to proceed and allow debate on the bill without a vote. Susan Collins of Maine announced earlier she would no longer support a filibuster to block debate. George Voinovich of Ohio also mentioned that his support for the filibuster was winding down, as well as other Republicans.

Quote:
Republicans ended their filibuster of Wall Street reforms Wednesday when the Senate agreed without a vote to begin debate on a financial regulations bill.
The Senate approved by unanimous consent a motion to launch debate on the bill after a similar proposal failed three times in the previous 48 hours to win the necessary 60 votes to pass.
GOP ends filibuster blocking financial reform debate - CNN.com

Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
Quote:
Actually, it was the polls that made the Republicans relent, the public wants WS reform. The Republicans didn't negotiations to take place in front of the C-SPAN cameras where the public could see them watering the reform legislation down. It's as simple as that.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Goldman Sachs wrote the bill.

Why do you think Goldman Sachs is all for this bill.

They stand to my billions in the first year alone, off this bill.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Actually, it was the polls that made the Republicans relent, the public wants WS reform. The Republicans didn't negotiations to take place in front of the C-SPAN cameras where the public could see them watering the reform legislation down. It's as simple as that.
wrong it was the removal of the to big to fail bailout fund. sorry i didnt mean to call anyone a liar it just worked out that way

Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
wrong it was the removal of the to big to fail bailout fund. sorry i didnt mean to call anyone a liar it just worked out that way
They were already starting to crack. Voinovich said the other day he wasn't going to filibuster much longer deal or no deal, and others likely would have followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies