Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

There is an obesity problem? Exactly WHAT is the "problem", and WHY should the government get involved in it? WHY should the government or the health nuts, get the power over MY body? WHY shouyld the government be able to tell me what to feed my kids? WHY should the government be allowed to tell any business they can't give a toy with a meal; ANY meal, no matter how unhealthy it is!
WHY should ANYBODY be allowed to say "McDonalds made me fat, it is THEIR fault I ate all those super sized meals, they should NOT offer them!"
BS! NOBODY forced anybody to buy anything. We all make our own decisions, be they good or bad. It should NOT be up to the government, at any level, to tell us that "YOU are too stupid to take care of yourself, so we are going to do it for you; YOU are too stupid to control what your kids eat, so we are going to do it for you. WE MUST DO THIS FOR THE GOOD OF SOCIETY, AND FOR THE CHILDREN!"
bull pucky! I say enough! Keep the government out of the restaurants (no I have no problem with cleanliness inspections), and out of our kitchens.

Yeah, you are right, it IS not happening. Did anybody ever stop to think that the reason it isn't happening is because MOST people just don't care? MOST people don't read the nutrition information. WHO CARES how nutritious a Twinkie is, or an Oreo cookie, or a double quarter pounder with cheese? Or, how much sodium is in a slice of Spam?

Hey, bean counters, how about a comparison: What is the ratio of sales between Campbells Original Chicken Noodle Soup and the 25% less sodium soup? How many people add salt to the low sodium soup before they eat it? THAT would be an interesting study!

Last edited by Redraven; 04-28-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
You seem depressed. A quadruple whopper with bacon will make you feel better

Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There is an obesity problem? Exactly WHAT is the "problem", and WHY should the government get involved in it? WHY should the government or the health nuts, get the power over MY body? WHY shouyld the government be able to tell me what to feed my kids? WHY should the government be allowed to tell any business they can't give a toy with a meal; ANY meal, no matter how unhealthy it is!
WHY should ANYBODY be allowed to say "McDonalds made me fat, it is THEIR fault I ate all those super sized meals, they should NOT offer them!"
BS! NOBODY forced anybody to buy anything. We all make our own decisions, be they good or bad. It should NOT be up to the government, at any level, to tell us that "YOU are too stupid to take care of yourself, so we are going to do it for you; YOU are too stupid to control what your kids eat, so we are going to do it for you. WE MUST DO THIS FOR THE GOOD OF SOCIETY, AND FOR THE CHILDREN!"
bull pucky! I say enough! Keep the government out of the restaurants (no I have no problem with cleanliness inspections), and out of our kitchens.

Yeah, you are right, it IS not happening. Did anybody ever stop to think that the reason it isn't happening is because MOST people just don't care? MOST people don't read the nutrition information. WHO CARES how nutritious a Twinkie is, or an Oreo cookie, or a double quarter pounder with cheese? Or, how much sodium is in a slice of Spam?

Hey, bean counters, how about a comparison: What is the ratio of sales between Campbells Original Chicken Noodle Soup and the 25% less sodium soup? How many people add salt to the low sodium soup before they eat it? THAT would be an interesting study!
um yeah, I'd say there is an obesity problem.

Growing up it was NOT COMMON to see fat kids. Can you say the same for today?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The rant by the OP is a truly vintage whine.

Get real. Nobody, including the government, gives a damn what you do to yourself. You ain't that important.
Except they do give a damn, otherwise why are they making these rules?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 PM

OK, Ozgal, there are fat people out there, of all ages.
What gives YOU the right to tell them they can't be fat?
Yeah, I'm overweight. That is MY problem, not YOURS!
Yes, some of my kids are overweight. Their problem is sedentary occupations, and too many restaurant meals, often mandated by their occupations. (it is difficult to avoid restaurants when you spend 3/4 of your nights in motel rooms).
How is this YOUR problem?
Don't give me the platitudes about health care costs. How many visits to the doctor have YOU made in the last two years? (I assume YOU are not overweight). I have made NONE. There was one visit to the ER for chest pain. Nothing found.
Your neighbor's eating habits and weight are NOT your problem! It is NOT right for you or your cohorts to be asking the government to interfere!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Default comfort food

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
You seem depressed. A quadruple whopper with bacon will make you feel better
I don't care for Burger King (Wendy's and Hardee's are better, IMO), and I never go for more than a double mushroom & swiss.
I don't like bacon on my burgers.
However, biscuits and country gravy with sausage and 2 over medium is REAL comfort food!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Redraven, You said """""""" Mac_Muz, I think "women's rights" IS a valid comparison. for example, if your 15 year old daughter gets knocked up, and the school counselor recommends an abortion, does she have to get permission from you for a surgical procedure? How about if she gets sick, with severe pain in the right lower abdominal quadrant, and the school nurse says it is appendicitis? Does she need permission from you for a surgical procedure? Why the difference? Government interference, of course. Then, of course, there is the current "unhealthy" issue, that seeks to control what a woman can put into her body, which seems to me to be a direct violation of the very thing that allows abortion.""""

As a parent in either case the school needs to tell me. The probable emergency senario, means i need to know sooner.

Whether or not the child get instant surgery is still you to the parents, and I have been there with my boy who some 25 years ago fell from a tree, and herniated his spleen at school.

I was informed he was at or on his way to the hospital, and I raced there myself naturally. The school could give permission directly.

I met my then wife there as well, and the doctor told me he wanted to do surgery right away. My answer was What is the childs blood pressure? What tests have been done?

Then the doctor, his assistants, and my now x came on hard at me! it was most unplesant, but just because i fix cars, doesn't mean I brain dead.

I got my answers, and the BP was slightly high for 6 year old. Suited me the kid was hurting... But it proved there was no leak and no reason to just open him up. I asked for untrasond, and was told the tech was on a day off, I just get him. it was done with in a few hours and as it turned out i was the one who was most correct.

I would own the school had they given persmission. I have no daughters, but if i did, and another person decided an abortion was in order, and followed thru behind my back i would indeed own that person and s/he would be chained to the wall in the cellar to this day.

At to my first answer, the topic just appeared to be another thing. If feminist issues are the topic, then I have no problem at all. I need to review the first post.

Redraven, somehow you went from happy meals in the posion palace, to feminist issues. I think that should be taken to Relationships don't you?

No wonder women confuse me....

Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Mac_Muz, it is really very simple. I'm surprised you can't see it, but perhaps I can clarify.
The Supreme Court negated all abortion restrictions due to the presumed "right to privacy" a woman has over her body. The TOTAL right, that is.
Now, if the government can not forbid a woman from having an abortion based on this TOTAL right, how can the government control what a woman (or a man) puts INTO their bodies? Doesn't that TOTAL "right to privacy" override ANY problem Society may have with how much or what a person eats? Shoudn't that TOTAL "right to privacy" extend even to a person's weight?
A "right" is a "right". "THEY" can't pick and choose where it will apply. It must apply totally, across the board, or it isn't really a "right".

Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Never.

Someone, somewhere is always going to put limits on things people do. And usually there is a reason for that.

What cracks me up though is when people get up in arms about a "takaway", something that has been around for awhile (like happy meal toys), but might just as easily be agaist it up if it never had been in the first place. Think about it, bribing kids to eat crap with toys...it really doesn't make good sense yet we accept it becuase we are used to it. Kind of like when we stopped marketing cigaretts to kid with cartoon characters. People were mad about taking that away too, but if we tried to start that up today nobody would allow it.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
EXACTLY!
Thank you.

But, you left out one:
You are free to check the list of ingredients and NOT buy foods that have a higher sodium content (or fat content, or whatever) than you are comfortable with!
Not in most restaurants, you're not.

And nice use of "unborn child" to throw in some emotional yet medically incorrect terminology. It's fetus.
It's not a child until it's viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies