Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

The rednecks though they won another one and all they did was confirm their bigotry and ignorance. I hope I never have to go to or through Mississippi.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The rednecks though they won another one and all they did was confirm their bigotry and ignorance. I hope I never have to go to or through Mississippi.
It's been said that in Mississippi, some Black people don't even know that they're free.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So you dig up a single horrible story that could be Anytown, USA?

At least we're not a state full of bigoted, narrowminded rednecks who tie people to fences and beat the sh*t outta them for being gay or tie people to backs of trucks and drag 'em down the road because they're black. Or what was the main activity for Mississippians during the years, oh 1865 and 1965, umm lynching? Or prior to that enslaving an entire population over manual labor? Oh yeah, the south really will win "greatest place on earth."
I guess you don't know about that whole Bus Integration "Incident" back in 1965 in Boston, I suggest you look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It's been said that in Mississippi, some Black people don't even know that they're free.
I'd like to see you back that up.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I can't believe some of you really think that a woman should be punished for wearing a certain type of clothing. And don't tell me - you also consider yourselves to be libertarians, right?
How is being excluded from the yearbook a punishment? Was she fined? Was she imprisoned? Was she denied a diploma or other acknowledgement that she had completed a course of study? Where is the "punishment"?

What if one of the guys at the school wanted his yearbook photo in a tutu? Or fishnets? Would this have been ok to push on those students who wanted (and were paying for) a proper keepsake of their high school years and this girl instead wants to make it an 'in-yer-face' object of her social defiance?

If she wants to dress in a tux, or the guys want to dress in tutus and fishnets, they're all free to do it within their own homes or at venues more suited to such things. Trying to do it as a long-lasting reminder to hoist on others is something else.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
She's not a victim, she CHOSE not to follow the yearbook dress code. She chose to seek an exemption/exception and was denied. She didn't provide an approved picture. She was, by her own choice and knowledge, not included in the yearbook pictorial. These are called consequences, like it or not. If she had been wearing a clown suit or overalls or a toga she would be in the exact same position she is in now...by her own choosing.
I don't know about your yearbook, but all of mine have the pictures of classmates, and then page after page of pictures of clubs, of who's who, of homecoming courts and the national honor society. They have snapshots of people at sporting events, of people in the cafeteria, in the library, just hanging out on the steps. They even have pictures of lockers.

The way I read the article is that they deleted her from the yearbook. Maybe she's in the photo for the National Honor Society, but her name isn't listed. Maybe she was in some of the candid photos, but they replaced them. My yearbooks have an index at the back, with people's names and which pages their photos appear. I've got fourteen different pages in my yearbook, and I'm in several of the candid shots as well. This girl was completely omitted, as if she didn't attend. All because she wanted to wear a tuxedo in her photo. That's not right.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 AM

383 posts, read 222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So you dig up a single horrible story that could be Anytown, USA?

At least we're not a state full of bigoted, narrowminded rednecks who tie people to fences and beat the sh*t outta them for being gay or tie people to backs of trucks and drag 'em down the road because they're black. Or what was the main activity for Mississippians during the years, oh 1865 and 1965, umm lynching? Or prior to that enslaving an entire population over manual labor? Oh yeah, the south really will win "greatest place on earth."

Relutant-your name suggests you live in a state whose main export is the TV show "Jersey Shore." Please welcome Senator Snooky.

Those educated folks make sure everyday that this nation doesn't fall behind the rest of the world in terms of technology, clean energy, medicine, or bio-reasearch. The Commonwealth is second only to California in these areas. Yes we have gay marriage and univeral health care, and the best public education system in the nation, and internationally ranked schools, tough gun laws and legalised marijauna. Massachusetts students have the highest science scores of any system in the WORLD, only as an example. Mississippi is waaaaaay down at the bottom, where it belongs.

Lord. You obviously do not pay attention to the news. The fence one that was Wyoming and the truck one that was Texas. No way I would move to commiefornia or commiechusets

Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I'd like to see you back that up.
It's a joke referring to how backwards the state is. If you took anything from it other than that, then that says a lot about you.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Oh, for goodness sake, knock off the commiefornia crap. Quite a few of the most conservative people I've ever met are from southern California.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It's a joke referring to how backwards the state is. If you took anything from it other than that, then that says a lot about you.
If you were joking, that's fine, but I've met people on this site who seriously thought things like that were true.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Oh, for goodness sake, knock off the commiefornia crap. Quite a few of the most conservative people I've ever met are from southern California.
Outside of LA county, most SoCal counties swing to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies