Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
If you think the possibility of saving someone's life by being an organ donor is such a horrible thing, you're free to opt out. This is nothing but more faux-outrage.
Well not really, when my brother was in a coma and pronounced brain dead we had a decision to make. 26 y/o pretty healthy, perfect organs liver and kidney functions were perfect. We were all for donation. Then they go into detail about what they're going to do, cardiac cath and all that. Also the mental trauma of walking away from a loved one while they're still breathing is difficult. They'd wheel him away while still on a vent, good color, looking just like usual and then he'd be dead. Cut up and we wouldn't get the body back I think they said for a week. Easier said than done. Also once the state gets the power to deceide who's donating and who's not it'll turn into well he's dead so lets go. No more choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I must admit being completely puzzled at the range of rabid views regarding the issue but then again I have been registered as an organ donor since I was 18 ( and told my parents from an early age to give my organs in case of a fatal accident) .

Nobody is being forced to donate organs which would be against people's human rights to chose what to do with their bodies. All people are being asked to is to opt out. This is being done because most human beings are too apathetic to opt in and lives are being lost, people dying for the want of organs being donated.

So excuse me for thinking that the lives of other human beings are more important than the right of someone not to have to sign a little piece of paper opting out.

As someone who had a bone marrow transplant years ago I am fully aware of the dire needs of something to be done for human beings to behave a little more responsibly towards each other , from simply blood donation to bone marrow , tissue and organ donation.

If someone can't be bothered to refuse to donate their organs because it's too much trouble then quite frankly I don't give a hoot about their "right". They have a right to say no. As it should be . I do not see anything even vaguely out of the ordinary with having to opt out rather than having to opt in.

The people screaming government abuse are also those who are so worried about preserving the rights of the unborn foetus . It seems that human beings right to a chance of survival is seen a lesser priorty and I find that quite frankly bizarre.

Organ donation could saves thousands of lives, millions around the world. Most people chose not to even think about it because it is an uncomfortable and emotional subject. Opting out means people will have to make a conscious and well balanced decision to deny potential life saving procedures. Anything which engages a debate about the issue is in my opinion wonderful and I hope all countires will one day be doing this because this is a move forward.

Having to opt out is not a negation of anyone's human rights but an affirmation of people's right to chose.

I will never understand people who do not donate blood, organs, tissues etc... for anything other than a medical reason.

All of us holds the key to save the lives of a few human beings and we are concerned about having to declare ourselves as "yay " or "nay" ? Sorry but my heart ain't bleeding for the poor souls who will have to actually make a decision which could affect the lives and deaths of other human beings.

Big whoop ! Say no to it, by all means , it is your body but stop whining and winging about it, and accept that this policy will actually increase the number of lives saved.

An infringement of your human rights is when something is being forced upon you such as donating organs against your will. Nobody is proposing that. Grow up and start thinking a little about the consequences of people's apathy.

Hard to argue with this.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I've been unable to find any information about the process by which one would opt-out. Anyone know?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Hard to argue with this.
The argument is that it's too personal and ultimately too invasive a decision for it to be an automatic 'yay' unless otherwise specified. I think everyone can understand and appreciate the need for more organ donors. A passive opt-in is not the way.

I'd be much more in favor of increased public education re donation; I'd rather see something in place that requires someone to actively say yes or no, after they've been given the information and the options.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 PM

470 posts, read 461,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Another slow righty who doesn't understand what "opt out" means. You can opt out but brown people in Arizona can't.
See, you miss the bigger picture here. Why is the option to opt out? It should be opt in! These people have no right to make that choice for people. Oh hell, they automatically register voters as Democrats so I'm not very surprised at their hammer fist in this one either.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM

470 posts, read 461,795 times
How about, if they are going to automatically opt you in, they pay you for it. Why not? You DONATE your organs and they turn around and MAKE MONEY on them. I say donors should be paid for their organs.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM

571 posts, read 943,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Apparently you don't understand or care whether government tells you what you will do.
Whether you personally care what happens to you is your business but it's a matter of a dictorial nature.

I guess you won't mind though since you don't recognize it.

No offense but if you don't see this as simple and cut & dry as it is I would have to think you're missing quite a few other things.

Government is to be our servant not ruler.
That's the way this nation was painstakingly set up at great cost.

Things like this are it's OK to abort a baby but don't you dare smoke a Marlboro.
What an upside down perception that exists today and is thought of as no big deal.

Do you understand Free Will and self determination at all?
Okay... and? For the hundredth time, you'll be dead. You won't care. Nor will I.

Anyone who is ignorant enough to say "NO you may not take my organs after I am dead! I insist they rot under the ground even though people die every day from need of organs!" is a moron plain and simple.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Post News Video, N.Y. Lawmaker Proposes Presumed Consent for Organ Donation.

AJC: A New York assemblyman whose daughter is alive because of two kidney transplants wants his state to become the first in the nation to pass laws that would presume people want to donate their organs unless they specifically say otherwise.

Breitbart.tv » N.Y. Lawmaker Proposes Presumed Consent for Organ Donation

Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Did someone pee in your Cheerios this morning, or what?
No, I don't eat Cheerios or anything else engineered by the General Mills Corporation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61
I'm Jewish.
Tell your rabbi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan
For the hundredth time, you'll be dead. You won't care. Nor will I.
No one has any control over death, but they do have control over what happens to them after they die. In fact, the irony is that is the only thing people really do have control over in their entire pathetic lives. You could at least respect that, but it's too much for you handle I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey
The argument is that it's too personal and ultimately too invasive a decision for it to be an automatic 'yay' unless otherwise specified.
Well stated.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
I'm an organ donor. It's something notated on my drivers license. Why would someone not donate their organs if they were killed in an accident?
As I noted earlier, I am also an organ donor. I am perfectly content with the idea of being recycled.

But that's not the issue.

My problem is the mindset of the state that declares your body is their property. We have big government that is wrapping it's tentacles around society tighter and tighter. They take over auto companies, shake down banks and investment firms, pass laws that create housing booms then busts and then won't take responsibility for their actions and instead blame others.

I've come not to trust Washington to do the right thing on any level, and that goes for both parties. Mandatory organ donation has been kicked around for awhile, and a law like this assemblyman proposes is the first step in that direction. I don't want the state having that kind of power over me, but its obvious many of you are content with the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies