Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,845,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I gotta say that this bill makes me uncomfortable.

Am I right in saying, the government is assuming that my body is the property of the state unless I tell them otherwise?
Correct, but only if your dead.. Which seems to be ok to many, oddly enough..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
It's called "presumed consent" and Illinois is doing it as well.
Watch people..you may be donors and don't even know it !
Once you hit 18 years old..you are presumed an organ donor unless you fill out an "opt out donor card" according to the wording in this bill.

Illinois Dangerous ‘Presumed Consent’ Organ Donor Bill : Stop The ACLU

"SB 3613, the Presumed Donor bill, amends the Illinois Anatomical Gift Act to define all Illinois patients as “presumed donors” unless they specifically avail themselves of the opt out clause."

Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,417,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It says nothing like that... Are you now going to be "faux-outraged" over the proposal? After all, your dead, why do you care if people have sex with you, or cut you up for food?

Why I propose we should just start to feed dead people to cows to fatten them up..!!!

Whats the matter? You'll of couse will be able to opt out
More slippery slope hysteria over absolutely nothing. The intellectually dishonesty here is something to behold alright.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,041,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
More slippery slope hysteria over absolutely nothing. The intellectually dishonesty here is something to behold alright.
Um, you might want to think about that as you're dying in the emergency room because the physicians aren't as diligent as they normally would be, since they need your organs.

It happens. Read the studies. Doctors are less inclined to spend the extra effort, or any effort at all to save your life if they need organs and you're a donor.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM

7,785 posts, read 7,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Um, you might want to think about that as you're dying in the emergency room because the physicians aren't as diligent as they normally would be, since they need your organs.

It happens. Read the studies. Doctors are less inclined to spend the extra effort, or any effort at all to save your life if they need organs and you're a donor.
exactly what i tried to say this is just wrong

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,276,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I gotta say that this bill makes me uncomfortable.

Am I right in saying, the government is assuming that my body is the property of the state unless I tell them otherwise?
That's how I take it. I signed up as an organ donor years ago. If the MD's can recycle anything, God bless them and I hope someone benefits.

I understand this assemblyman has had an epiphany about organ donation, but where does he get off thinking my body is the property of the state? This is a mindset that I am reading over and over tonight. Don't you lefties have any pride? And if George Bush or Dick Cheney had suggested it there would be marching in the streets and chants of hell no, we ain't gonna go.

If this assemblyman is so concerned about organ donation, pass a law to spend some money on an advertising campaign to raise public awareness and leave people alone to make their own decisions on how to handle their passing.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Well you better check your state bills and make sure you are not in a state that's pushing this..NY and Ill so far.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,686,094 times
I am not lefty and I don't see the big deal. You can opt out nobody is forcing you to do anything.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 7,989,875 times
I am an organ donor by choice as printed on my driver lic. but if their this hard up for organs i may have second thoughts. I dont want to expire when i could be saved cause some rich dude needs my organs. think i'll opt out. this aint yesterday its getting to wierd for me

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I am an organ donor by choice as printed on my driver lic. but if their this hard up for organs i may have second thoughts. I dont want to expire when i could be saved cause some rich dude needs my organs. think i'll opt out. this aint yesterday its getting to wierd for me
So true parfleche, so true..this ain't yesterday and too much is taken for granted as acceptable these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies