Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:08 PM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the comopliments/reps.

The only thing is that IF Congress changes the winds of power, there will be pot holes, land mines, and trap doors they (the right in Congress) will need to be aware of. It won't be as simple as repealing everything and we are back on track.

People who vote them in will have to be patient and understand Obama will still be there with veto power - and his pawns will be out there ratcheting up fear and emotion. The are enemies who have access to high places. We need to know who they are and deal with them accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,329,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Outrageously funny atizar. A tip of the hat to you. After a batch of comments unanimously decrying Obama and his agenda all you can do is lift the definition of Lame Duck and from a 'voluntary' lame database source no less. In the common vernacular, known as colloquial, the term Lame Duck is use to indicate a politician, usually a President, who has lost his power by virtue of losing his control of congress and the ability to thus make new law. He retains the title for the balance of his term, but is essentially impotent to effect change or a Lame Duck.

Shame I had to waste this much effort and space explaining this to you, but I consider it a "public service". That, for you, should need no further defining!
That's a misuse of the term. A "lame duck" isn't just a weak politician or an executive lacking legislative support.

Lame duck - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

There are many ways to describe such an executive. "Ineffectual". "Impotent". "Unable to command legislative support".

"Lame duck" doesn't really cut it.

But hey. That's all just semantics. Hardly worth arguing over.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 AM

918 posts, read 814,184 times
Default CarolinaBredChicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's a misuse of the term. A "lame duck" isn't just a weak politician or an executive lacking legislative support.

There are many ways to describe such an executive. "Ineffectual". "Impotent". "Unable to command legislative support".

"Lame duck" doesn't really cut it.

But hey. That's all just semantics. Hardly worth arguing over.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
As to this:
Quote:
That's all just semantics. Hardly worth arguing over.
I disagree. In the arena of debate a circumspect attention to detail and the meaning and inflection of words and phrases is paramount to making or defending one's position. Words mean things and as such should be accurate.
A dismissive attitude in this matter only dumbs down the level of such debate. And, as you have confirmed from a legitimate source, it is as I stated:
"Unable to command legislative support".

Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,201,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Incorrect? Hardly. Obama supports the illegals/pro-illegals and has denounced the Tea Party protesters. That's fact.
If this is indeed factual, you can provide credible links to your assertions.
Can't you?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM

24,358 posts, read 22,920,121 times
I bet they felt like total fools staring down those grannies and grandpas and soccer moms. They're just doing their jobs but you know they probably had better things to do.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,329,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------
As to this:

I disagree. In the arena of debate a circumspect attention to detail and the meaning and inflection of words and phrases is paramount to making or defending one's position. Words mean things and as such should be accurate.
A dismissive attitude in this matter only dumbs down the level of such debate. And, as you have confirmed from a legitimate source, it is as I stated:
"Unable to command legislative support".
Well, since words mean things, perhaps we will belabor this point a bit longer and you'll pay closer attention to mine. All of those terms I used were potential replacements that I was offering for the term "lame duck", as using this term as synonymous to the terms I offered misses the mark.

What Merriam Webster says is this:
Quote:
1 : one that is weak or that falls behind in ability or achievement; especially chiefly British : an ailing company
2 : an elected official or group continuing to hold political office during the period between the election and the inauguration of a successor
3 : one whose position or term of office will soon end

Now, definition 1 might fit your usage, but it's so broad as to be a stretch. It could cover anyone you consider to be lacking in ability or achievement. By that standard, pretty much every politician is someone's lame duck.

Furthermore, I don't have access to the OED online, but on this site, you'll find a quoted segment of the OED that outlines the development of the usage of the term. Seems it started in reference to those a financial defaulter, and grew to mean a politician who is not or cannot be re-elected. wordwizard.com - View topic - lame duck

So, in short, the use of the term to refer to Obama, by virtue of any existing usage, is imprecise, at best.

If you truly believe in the power and precision of words, you must appreciate that. The only reason that I offered that such a discussion of semantics is essentially meaningless was to avoid further belaboring the point.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,736,059 times
I can't help but laugh. The more wackaloon the arguments get, the more off point, the more I know who I will NEVER vote for again.

You folks simply don't give a rats behind whose rights are trampled on and that's what makes you the lousy example of citizenship you've taught your own children. No wonder they wish you'd just flake off the planet.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 AM

948 posts, read 891,265 times
Can't wait till the day Swat teams round the nation go...."Do what? Uh, no dude you're smoking some serious crack. PASS!"

Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
Default iphone 5 release date

Exactly what is the significant difference concerning the apple iphone 4 and iphone 5 which are coming out for United states? i'd like to figure out should it be worth it to acquire the iphone 4 or if i should just wait for an apple iphone 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies