Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

There was a report on the radio saying that from 2012 on in Australia cigarette makers are only allowed to sell their stuff in standardized brand-independent packages, no more logos such as camels, or slogans allowed. Instead those packages will be plastered with health warnings. The price per package will also be increased drastically by almost $3. All advertising for cigarettes will be prohibited. The goal is to destroy the image of smoking as a cool habit and thus its attractiveness especially with teenagers.

Will those measures achieve the goal of reducing the number of smokers in Australia by 1/3? Can those measures be copied in other countries where there are more powerful tobacco lobbies and big cigarette makers, e.g. in the US or in Germany?

PS: Found an English-language source...

Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There was a report on the radio saying that from 2012 on in Australia cigarette makers are only allowed to sell their stuff in standardized brand-independent packages, no more logos such as camels, or slogans allowed. Instead those packages will be plastered with health warnings. The price per package will also be increased drastically by almost $3. All advertising for cigarettes will be prohibited. The goal is to destroy the image of smoking as a cool habit and thus its attractiveness especially with teenagers.

Will those measures achieve the goal of reducing the number of smokers in Australia by 1/3? Can those measures be copied in other countries where there are more powerful tobacco lobbies and big cigarette makers, e.g. in the US or in Germany?
Anything that will discourage smoking is good. I think a pack of cigs should be $5 or more and smokers should be shown as the uncool drug addicted slobs they are. I would never hire one if I ran a business. And the TV should show people with end stage lung cancer laying in their own vomit racked with pain unable to breathe or talk.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Why not quit beating around the bush and just outlaw tobacco?
Sure, they would have to find a source of revenue to replace the taxes, but surely they could find something that EVERYBODY uses (restaurant food is often unhealthy, put a 10% tax on all prepared food) to tax so they woulod make even more money.
EITHER OUTLAW THE JUNK, OR SHUT UP ABOUT IT!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Why not quit beating around the bush and just outlaw tobacco?
Sure, they would have to find a source of revenue to replace the taxes, but surely they could find something that EVERYBODY uses (restaurant food is often unhealthy, put a 10% tax on all prepared food) to tax so they woulod make even more money.
EITHER OUTLAW THE JUNK, OR SHUT UP ABOUT IT!

Amen, and this is coming from a smoker. Not gonna lie... there are times when I do enjoy smoking... with a beer, after dinner, after sex. What I don't like is the addictive side of it. What I would like to see if a viable way to help smokers quit. I've tried to do it with the gum, and the lozenges. To some degree it worked except when I got one of those over powering urges, and that is when I'd start up again. Not going to try the patch, because my luck I'd forget it was on light up, and drop dead of a heart attack. Cold turkey is not an option! I work 2 jobs, and there is a lot of stress right now, so.... I'd end up going off of the deep end. I'm thinking of those e-cigarettes, as I have heard a lot of positive results from them, but I'm still trying to sell my wife on them. She thinks that they are too expensive, and I tried to sell her on the fact that investing in one of them is far less expensive than buying cigarettes. Furthermore, from the research that I've done, they are far safer than real cigarettes to me, and others around me. I am a respectful smoker. I don't smoke inside, because my wife doesn't smoke, and I don't want my kid breathing it in. With that though, I am not going to begrudge other smokers, and if I owned my own company I would not discriminate against smokers.

P.S. Any ex-smokers out there have any knowledge of the the e-cigarettes? Have you tried them? If so, have they worked for you?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Please no more laws. Let me make my own bad choices. People have smoke tobacco for thousands of years. It's not gonna stop. The whole cool image thing comes from the stigma attached to it. It makes you look like a rebel of sorts. The more you outlaw it the, the badder it becomes to buck society and light up.

This banning **** is getting ridiculous.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would never hire one if I ran a business. k.
Funny, didn't you vote for Obama. I'd smoke a butt with him, don't care for his policies, but enjoying a smooth mellow grit with the commander-n-chief would be kinda cool. Maybe if I assault one of his friends, and he calls me stupid, we can have a cigarette summit.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM

380 posts, read 642,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

PS: Found an English-language source...
How about just let people decide for themselves if they want to smoke or not??

What a novel idea.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:55 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
How about just let people decide for themselves if they want to smoke or not??

What a novel idea.
How does this stop letting people decide to smoke or not?

I'm against banning tobacco or making it illegal, but I see no reason to market it as something you should do.

Plain packaging seems neutral.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
[
P.S. Any ex-smokers out there have any knowledge of the the e-cigarettes? Have you tried them? If so, have they worked for you?[/quote]

I am an ex-smoker I quit on Dec 7 2009. I tried the e-cigarette thing, nope it did not work. I used the patch, 10 weeks and support. Also if you want to quit you will, no excuse in the world will let you lite up again. I bought a treadmill and everytime I wanted one I hopped on. I know you work 2 jobs oh and sunflower seeds helped LOTS. Go for it.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
[
P.S. Any ex-smokers out there have any knowledge of the the e-cigarettes? Have you tried them? If so, have they worked for you?
I am an ex-smoker I quit on Dec 7 2009. I tried the e-cigarette thing, nope it did not work. I used the patch, 10 weeks and support. Also if you want to quit you will, no excuse in the world will let you lite up again. I bought a treadmill and everytime I wanted one I hopped on. I know you work 2 jobs oh and sunflower seeds helped LOTS. Go for it.[/quote]

I guess different things work for different people. I guess I have to find what will work for me. I heard something about sunflower seeds. You're right, I have to want to quit. Guess, I won't eat, have sex, have a beer or my morning coffee, and I'll be good to go. LOL! J/K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies