Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Who is "WE", and why is this "WE" expected to help this man's for profit business venture? What exactly is "WE" supposed to do to help?
WE is the government...you have heard of "we the people", before...yes????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And yet you don't know people decided your income.
So what you are saying, is you believe we are slaves and not able to decide if the labor we give up, is adaquate for the pay we receive back?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What he means, is that you have earned enough money, legally, no need to make more money illegally.
That has got to be the lamest excuse I've seen yet for something related to Obama

Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm talking about "people" as referred to in the post I responded to. Who are these "specific" they you want to cling on to? Talk about being backwards...

Anyway, who pays for the price of anybody's labor? People? No? And is there more to it than just cash? Stop being a sheeple to corporate interests. Adam Smith emphasized on self-interest. Practice it unless plutocracy is your style then, well, we might as well kill this discussion.

What I'm saying is that you're allowed to make as much money as you
can as long as you're not breaking the law. Nobody limits you at least for now.
But the President thinks there should be a limit to it.

Last edited by Kirdik; 04-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Either he contradicted himself, in the same sentence, or he was making a point about breaking the law to make more money, after you've made a lot legally.

It'd be like the Waltons starting an organized crime ring, after they've made millions in retail.

The President isn't an idiot.

Again, what he is saying is that when you've made lots of money, legally, there is not reason to try and make more money illegally.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please, present it.
Please provide me with a list of individuals who have made millions legally, who then have decided to turn to a life of crime.. I'll stipulate that there are some, but those very few individuals are not the individuals Obama is discussing.. He is discussing LEGALLY making money, and then LEGALLY reaching a limit..

JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
WE is the government...you have heard of "we the people", before...yes????
Yes, I have heard of that. So, please explain to me in what ways the government should be expected to help people in their for-profit business ventures.

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
do you mean do I know what my overhead is and what my costs to income ratio are, and do I determine what I and my employees make...yes
If you don't know your overheads, how do people above you know theirs?

Quote:
does the government tell me I can only make $15/hr.....no...and it better not even try
Government is probably the only reason you can even dream of making $15/hour. And if you prefer the way this country was run around its inception, governments were responsible to empower EVERY stockholder of a company. That is, until corruption started to creep into the government. But of course, you would rather blame the government than the people who promote corruption. The government should be a sacred institution the founders fought for, but instead of working to improve it, you just look at it as your enemy. But hey, I frequently talk about self-defeaters...

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-29-2010 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
That has got to be the lamest excuse I've seen yet for something related to Obama
Ditto that. Talk about extrapolating meaning in a pretty straightforward comment...

Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Either he contradicted himself, in the same sentence, or he was making a point about breaking the law to make more money, after you've made a lot legally.

It'd be like the Waltons starting an organized crime ring, after they've made millions in retail.

The President isn't an idiot.

Again, what he is saying is that when you've made lots of money, legally, there is not reason to try and make more money illegally.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please, present it.
Again, that's just your spin. He didn't mention anything about making money
illegally. He thinks there should be a limit to amount of money you're allowed
to make.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Wonder how he feels about Soros or Oprahs earnings.
The are different, they are special. On the animal farm all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.

Take Obama supporter Barbara Streisand. At a concert she sings and makes $25,000 for each two seconds of sound. That is a special animal.

Between June 2006 and June 2007 our sweet Babs, who is obviously an animal much more equal than others, enjoyed earnings of about US$60 million or over $1 million a week. But darn those wall street bankers who make $3 million in bonuses!

Anyone have an idea what Joe Biden's senate retirement is worth? Being in public service is a sweet gig if you can con enough people into voting for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies