Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,256,670 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few in rural areas of Orange County north and west of Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

If it's flown nicely near a home or memorial, I don't think there's anything offensive about it. If it's plastered on the back of a pickup truck or something like that, well, that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,873,595 times
This thread, and the ones about snakes, are sure to keep all those New England transplants away.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,057,058 times
Why not display the Confederate flag? Because multiple white supremacy groups use it as their symbol, and it has come to mean the person flying the flag hates people because their skin color does not match their own. That's just one reason why.

Here's another: Educated people believe a main issue of the Civil War was slavery. So those who display the flag seem to fly it because they wish they won the war so that black people would still be enslaved.

Here's another: People who fly the flag from their cars or homes do not care what the flag symbolizes to modern American citizens, so those modern American citizens can only assume those who display the flag are racist.

Here's another: People who fly the flag usually don't have any real interest in history; history buffs need to do a lot of reading, and people who fly that flag usually don't like to read anything. So modern American citizens do not believe them when they say they are flying it for their interest in history.

The flag does belong in one place: Civil War museums. The war is over. It's a relic, and one that we should remember and learn from so that our country is never again divided to the point citizens want to kill each other.

That's why.

But you were kidding with that question, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
A lot of people died for that flag...so why not display it!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-30-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,047,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
This thread, and the ones about snakes, are sure to keep all those New England transplants away.
Now we just need to start one about the offensive heat, the horrific mosquitos, spiders and other creep crawlies, scary hurricanes, and keep the one about tornados and busing for diversity bumped.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,321,517 times
There is a push going on for Confederacy History Month.
See pic in my profile.
This was taken at the Confederacy Museum in Fort Fisher.

Spoiler
My Great Great Great Grandfather General Riley Leonard. Thank You

Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,845,807 times
I don't have a dog in this fight but...do you think that it could be because lots of transplants have moved to JoCo and it's no longer a sleepy Southern county where most ppl know each other and share the same history/values - church, guns, trucks, conservative values? And for some, the flag.

It seems that the locals, mostly young, feel they are showing they are Southern and proud of being so. I think some see it simply as that, and are not educated enough to understand their actions regardless of their intent.

I understand the historical significance of the flag and that we must be sensitive to those whose ancestors were so brutally enslaved and may feel insulted by this representation and reminder of it.

However, there are still people who see the flag as a means to self-identify and they feel the war was fought over States' rights, and not slavery. I am not saying I agree or accept this, just what I've read and heard from locals.

PS - not sure if I made it clear?? I can appreciate that some folks fly the flag as it represents their heritage and NOT racism. I have met ppl like this and they don't have a racist bone in their body.

Maybe these folks have been listening to Sarah Palin and the Conservative right and they feel stirred up?

Here's a sobering perspective Eugene Robinson: The Confederacy Isn’t Something to Be Proud Of - Truthdig

BTW - JoCo was home to the klan for a long time. Smithfield especially! But I've seen a tremendous change in mentality of folks from there over the last generation or two.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 04-30-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: added ps

Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I've seen a few in rural areas of Orange County north and west of Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

If it's flown nicely near a home or memorial, I don't think there's anything offensive about it. If it's plastered on the back of a pickup truck or something like that, well, that's another story.
Excellent post! Apparently I need to spread some around before I can rep u though

Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,748,990 times
Quote:
Why not display the Confederate flag? Because multiple white supremacy groups use it as their symbol, and it has come to mean the person flying the flag hates people because their skin color does not match their own. That's just one reason why.
You certainly cannot make the assumption that someone flying a Confederate flag hates people of darker skin tones or supports slavery! "Is insensitive to those who may be bothered by it", yes. "Doesn't care if they come across as a redneck", yes.

Quote:
I don't have a dog in this fight but...do you think that it could be because lots of transplants have moved to JoCo and it's no longer a sleepy Southern county where most ppl know each other and share the same history/values - church, guns, trucks, conservative values? And for some, the flag.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of it...as they feel their turf more "invaded" by Yankees, they may feel more need to "advertise" being a native, and choosing (unwisely) a Confederate flag to do so. They should have stuck with the license plates that say "NC Native".

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,845,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You certainly cannot make the assumption that someone flying a Confederate flag hates people of darker skin tones or supports slavery! "Is insensitive to those who may be bothered by it", yes. "Doesn't care if they come across as a redneck", yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of it...as they feel their turf more "invaded" by Yankees, they may feel more need to "advertise" being a native, and choosing (unwisely) a Confederate flag to do so. They should have stuck with the license plates that say "NC Native".
Yep!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM

6,802 posts, read 9,004,509 times
[Warning: Rant mode activated. Do you want to continue?: Y/N]

I can't see why it makes a difference whether someone flies the flag at their house versus puts a sticker on their car. I guess as long as they keep quiet about it and not make other people look at it, that's OK??

I'm not a Southerner, but I'm amazed at some of the comments in this thread. Some people think that the only person who would fly a Confederate flag is a redneck with a 9th grade education who hates minorities. No wonder Southerners hate Yankees so much! I'm the first person to jump up and protest racism but I also recognize that for some people it's about respecting their culture. I never understood why Southerners fought so hard to keep the flag until I moved here. I've tried to keep an open mind. Maybe it's because I lived north of the Mason-Dixon line in small towns and cities where outsiders might call us hicks or white trash or worse.

Many educated people believe that the War of Northern Aggression was fought over states rights and not about slavery (which was reprehensible). Slavery was despicable but not every person in the south owned slaves. Let's not forget that there were slaves and indentured servants in the north. Does that mean Yankees should be ashamed to fly the US flag? There is at least one well known African American who defends the Confederate flag. Is simply misguided or being coerced into doing what he does?

A lot of people in the US get very worked up when they see someone flying a Mexican flag, especially if it's improperly flown above a US flag. Some people in California and Arizona get really, really upset when they see someone with Mexican flag stickers on their car, or a Mexican flag flying from their window. Does this mean we should prevent Mexicans from flying their flag to celebrate their culture? I know the argument would be that Mexicans didn't own slaves, so what's the problem. Not every Southerner owned slaves, so why should they be punished and told not to celebrate their culture by showing the flag?

[Rant Mode Deactivated]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies