Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbdrummer View Post
For everyone else who is fed up with how this state is run, check out
Alex Snitker a 34-year-old former Marine and office equipment salesman is the Libertarian Party candidate for US Senator from Florida. Alex is a strong proponent of the FairTax and a Balanced Federal Budget. Alex Snitker is also opposed to the Federal Reserve. He believes strongly in Term Limits, and strengthening the 10th Amendment.
Don't you have to be 35 for senate?

No thanks, I think I will pull for Crist (I)/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
actually, with 4 candidates on the ballot in florida this might be an interesting race.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
Because 30% of $20,000 is 6K and that it too much for barely living.

For someone like my wife and I where we make much more, it wouldn't really hurt us.
I think its safe to say, that anyone making 20k a year, or less, is getting government help to get by anyway.

Also, Federal minimum wage is at 7.25 an hour. Thats just over 15K a year, and guess what, people survive on minimum wage. So, if you're making 20,000 a year, take your 6,000 off of it, and you're right at the minimum wage mark.

Don't like your living, you should have made better choices, or find a different job.

Besides, people like Warren Buffet are making billions a year, and only pay a tax rate of around 15%. Imagine how much more money would be coming in, if they paid a 30% tax rate. The debt would be paid, the money you have would be worth more, which gives you more buying power, which means that making 20,000 a year, would be like making 25,000 a year instead.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:07 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If everyone making 500,000 a year pays in 150,000 dollars, yeah.

It'd pay down the debt, make the money I do have worth more, and provide the government services I like.

Besides, I already pay in, counting Medicare, SSI, and income tax, over 30% in taxes.
I dont think with todays prices someone making 500000 and missing 150000 is the same as 15000 out of 50000. This is the whole dem/rep argument. I can barely so over the waters edge now and you want me to go under. What about the state I guess they can take the other 15000 leave me with a cool 20000 for the rest of the bills and mortgage and kids education. The rich would just love to see the lower middle collaspe huh. If that happens I want work ^&&* that. You can have it. I guess to make it fair lets put me in desperate poverty and you can smile knowing I pay your same equivelant. Ahh wouldnt that make you feel good until one of the kids that I couldnt provide a ham sandwich for comes to get it from you. Think about other people sometime.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I dont think with todays prices someone making 500000 and missing 150000 is the same as 15000 out of 50000. This is the whole dem/rep argument. I can barely so over the waters edge now and you want me to go under. What about the state I guess they can take the other 15000 leave me with a cool 20000 for the rest of the bills and mortgage and kids education. The rich would just love to see the lower middle collaspe huh. If that happens I want work ^&&* that. You can have it. I guess to make it fair lets put me in desperate poverty and you can smile knowing I pay your same equivelant. Ahh wouldnt that make you feel good until one of the kids that I couldnt provide a ham sandwich for comes to get it from you. Think about other people sometime.
States are a tougher cookie to crack.

I don't think a flat tax can work on a state level. Because, states make decisions based on regions of the state. The Federal government is only supposed to make decisions that work for everyone, or at least 51% of the population.

Thats why a Federal flat tax will work. In Florida, for instance, is it fair for someone living 50 miles from the beach, to pay the same property tax, as someone living on the beach? I don't think so.

We are talking about a national candidate though, not a state. I support a flat tax on the federal system. You think it will make your taxes go up, but in reality, it may make them go down. If you combine your SSI, Medicare, and Federal income tax all into one, you're probably paying higher than that now.

As things stand today, someone making 5 million a year is only paying a total tax rate of 18%. By raising their tax rate to meet yours, it allows for more money in the system, so we can pay down the debt, and have lower taxes later. That would also make your money worth more, globally.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
States are a tougher cookie to crack.

I don't think a flat tax can work on a state level. Because, states make decisions based on regions of the state. The Federal government is only supposed to make decisions that work for everyone, or at least 51% of the population.

Thats why a Federal flat tax will work. In Florida, for instance, is it fair for someone living 50 miles from the beach, to pay the same property tax, as someone living on the beach? I don't think so.

We are talking about a national candidate though, not a state. I support a flat tax on the federal system. You think it will make your taxes go up, but in reality, it may make them go down. If you combine your SSI, Medicare, and Federal income tax all into one, you're probably paying higher than that now.

As things stand today, someone making 5 million a year is only paying a total tax rate of 18%. By raising their tax rate to meet yours, it allows for more money in the system, so we can pay down the debt, and have lower taxes later. That would also make your money worth more, globally.
The only one I pay attention to is the fed and state cant do much about the others. If that is what they already come up to that then damn. I can believe it though. Dont forget property and car tax and sales tax but then again if Im down to 5000 a year I want have to worry about car or property tax. Maybe someone making 500000 a year can let me and my family live on thier land in exchange for a share of my crops or work or use of my children. Has that ever been tried

Old 05-01-2010, 05:22 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,208 times
Quote:
We need to vote these out of touch politicians out of Florida and bring in some new candidates that actually represent the people of our state.

For instance, the Florida senate passed "The bong bill" today, Under the so-called "Bong Bill," the only shops allowed to sell water pipes will be stores where the sale of tobacco products constitutes 75 percent of the gross income or shops where the sale of smoking accessories accounts for less than 25 percent of the total take.

Is this the biggest issue we have to worry about in this state? people buying bongs? who cares?

For everyone else who is fed up with how this state is run, check out
Alex Snitker a 34-year-old former Marine and office equipment salesman is the Libertarian Party candidate for US Senator from Florida. Alex is a strong proponent of the FairTax and a Balanced Federal Budget. Alex Snitker is also opposed to the Federal Reserve. He believes strongly in Term Limits, and strengthening the 10th Amendment.

Snitker is running on a platform centered on a Constitutionally-limited federal government. Snitker proposes a balanced budget Amendment, abolishing the IRS in favor of the Fair Tax, an audit of the Federal Reserve, and a non-interventionist foreign policy.

Snitker recently became the first Libertarian to qualify for the ballot in the state’s history.

"Purchasing majority shares in auto manufacturers, forcing individuals to buy health insurance or telling people how to live their lives is not the role of the federal government." - Alex Snitker, Libertarian Party candidate for US Senator from Florida
Lets smoke out these fools.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:43 PM

51 posts, read 78,448 times
Quote:
I don't like the fair tax, I want a flat tax. Fair tax allows for to much pooling of money, for those who don't have to spend all of their money to get by.

In other words, if you make 30,000 a year, and spend 100% of your income just to survive, you have a tax rate of 100%. If you make 300,000 a year, and only spend 1/2 of your money to survive, you only pay a tax rate of 50%.

Thats wrong, everyone should pay one flat tax rate of 20 to 30%.
well not exactly, when you take into account the prebate, the effective tax rate is 0% for those at the poverty level ($26,400 for a two adult/two children family), 11.5% for the same family at twice the poverty level ($52,800), and 17.3% for the same family at four times the poverty level ($105,600). Under the current system On a $30,000 income, your total federal tax load is something like $2,000 income tax, $2,295 payroll taxes and $5,000 hidden business taxes for a total of $9,295.

no family would pay tax on essential goods and services, and middle income families would be effectively exempt from tax on a large portion of their annual spending, Instead of taxing income, this tax would hit consumption.

the more you spend on things over the necessities the more you pay in tax. right now retail prices have a 20% markup just to cover income and payroll taxes for the retailer.

people who currently pay no tax because they dont report income..would be forced to pay. Illegals, Drug dealers..etc etc..everytime they spend money they'll be paying taxes. Even the millions of tourists who visit the US and spend money here would be putting into the system.

Theres no perfect system, but our current system is a complete mess where you are essentially punished for trying to get ahead in life.

take my situation, I pay out a big portion of my income for my daughters child support, I dont get any tax break, I cant claim her as a dependent and when I file taxes I have to report my entire income including the money I paid out in support even though I never saw a dime of that income. So my w-2 will say I made $25k for the year when I actually paid out 1/2 of that in support. I usually end up having to pay in to the IRS

meanwhile my ex gets the money, doesnt pay tax on it, and gets to claim a huge tax deduction....I dont even bother to try and make more money anymore, everytime I do the courts award her more. Where the incentive when you know that you wont see any benefits?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
well not exactly, when you take into account the prebate, the effective tax rate is 0% for those at the poverty level ($26,400 for a two adult/two children family), 11.5% for the same family at twice the poverty level ($52,800), and 17.3% for the same family at four times the poverty level ($105,600). Under the current system On a $30,000 income, your total federal tax load is something like $2,000 income tax, $2,295 payroll taxes and $5,000 hidden business taxes for a total of $9,295.

no family would pay tax on essential goods and services, and middle income families would be effectively exempt from tax on a large portion of their annual spending, Instead of taxing income, this tax would hit consumption.

the more you spend on things over the necessities the more you pay in tax. right now retail prices have a 20% markup just to cover income and payroll taxes for the retailer.

people who currently pay no tax because they dont report income..would be forced to pay. Illegals, Drug dealers..etc etc..everytime they spend money they'll be paying taxes. Even the millions of tourists who visit the US and spend money here would be putting into the system.

Theres no perfect system, but our current system is a complete mess where you are essentially punished for trying to get ahead in life.

take my situation, I pay out a big portion of my income for my daughters child support, I dont get any tax break, I cant claim her as a dependent and when I file taxes I have to report my entire income including the money I paid out in support even though I never saw a dime of that income. So my w-2 will say I made $25k for the year when I actually paid out 1/2 of that in support. I usually end up having to pay in to the IRS

meanwhile my ex gets the money, doesnt pay tax on it, and gets to claim a huge tax deduction....I dont even bother to try and make more money anymore, everytime I do the courts award her more. Where the incentive when you know that you wont see any benefits?
See, the problem with the "those who don't currently pay" argument is actually quite small

The money made by people in illegal industries, whatever they are, aren't generally that much money. There are a select few who make lots of money, but they are usually already well off, and immune from prosecution.

The biggest impact, as far as tax intake, would be to tax all profits at a rate of 30%. If you made 50,000 a year in profits, then you get taxed 30%. If you made 500,000 in profits, you pay 30%.

At a 30% tax rate on the richest 10% of Americans, we'd have far more money, than the "fair tax" would ever bring in.

The other problem with the fair tax model, is that there are work arounds for sales taxes. In the world with the internet, its easy to get around all sales taxes. Flat tax, with a decreased size IRS, is the way to go.

You wouldn't need the current size of the IRS, because of the simpler tax code.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 PM

51 posts, read 78,448 times
ok we can agree to disagree on the fair tax vs flat tax, either way things need to change.

as far as those who dont pay, this may be going a little OT but check out this video on just how much money that comes from them
YouTube - The Business Behind Getting High FULL P8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies