Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:30 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
1. Is there any such thing as a black community if not for a common rallying cry of victim identity?
2. Is there any such thing in America as a 'black identity' considering most blacks dispersed throughout the USA have little or nothing in common with one another?
3. When a % of population are in the lifelong habit of self loathing or anti social behavior believing it to be 'black identity', how is that the responsibility of the world at large?
4. When natives of Africa come here with gentler sensibilities, they aren't mistreated by whites, orientals, or hispanics. They're shocked how badly they're treated by blacks.
5. People (any brand) who don't mean to get along deserve what from our American system?
1. To a large extent, no. The "black community" was only formed in response to willful exclusion from mainstream society by those with an interest in maintaining the dichotomy. But it is not so much tantamount to a rallying cry for a victim identity as it is a stand against victimization from those who would project a negative black identity onto this community as a whole in order to maintain the justifiability of this victimization of any one of its members.

2. Like white identity, it is socially constructed. Indeed, 'black identity' was only created by those in power who sought to demarcate what whiteness isn't.

3. It isn't, nor is it the responsibility of the percentage of the black population who are upstanding to atone for the ways of its non-productive counterparts.

4. Africans generally aren't viewed as "black" not because of relative sensibility, but exoticism. Some treat this exoticism as a point of interest, others mock it.

5. This is a tangential question. I don't think it was ever argued that such people did deserve anything. More to the point, those who do get along surely don't deserve to be treated as if they didn't merely by virtue of ethnic likeness to those that don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 PM

487 posts, read 636,483 times
Because it was the white race that went around the planet proclaiming itself superior and committing genocide against other races. No other race did that.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:34 PM

948 posts, read 894,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Because it was the white race that went around the planet proclaiming itself superior and committing genocide against other races. No other race did that.
No other race did that?
Is that what you just said? Would you like to rethink that? No seriously because I reeeeally need you to fix that before I laugh myself into a tizzy.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:38 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Because people need a convenient boogeyman to blame for all of their problems, and since it's un-PC to attack any group other than white male Christians, it's become acceptable for other groups to project their hate and racism unto white people in order to make themselves feel better and not have to accept any responsibility for how messed up their lives are.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
No other race did that?
Is that what you just said? Would you like to rethink that? No seriously because I reeeeally need you to fix that before I laugh myself into a tizzy.

Lol are you really going to sit there and tell other people to correct their mistakes... this coming from the same person that uses terms such as "vicious marry go rounds"

LOL

Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Because people need a convenient boogeyman to blame for all of their problems, and since it's un-PC to attack any group other than white male Christians, it's become acceptable for other groups to project their hate and racism unto white people in order to make themselves feel better and not have to accept any responsibility for how messed up their lives are.
I think there be Bots here. Because no person past the age of 12 could actually think whitey is the only race ever to commit genocide. In fact, I'd love to see an example of it because I can't for the life of me recall one except for the Holocaust.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Lol are you really going to sit there and tell other people to correct their mistakes... this coming from the same person that uses terms such as "vicious marry go rounds"

LOL
Frankie the Beak just said "Raawk, get a clue."

Are you 12? I mean seriously?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
WHen i was twelve I knew what a merry go round was.
I also knew they were fun, and not at all vicious.
I didn't know what a vicious "marry" go round is, and I still don't
perhaps you will like to share with the group what a "vicious marry go round" is and how it pertains to politics (and other controversies)

Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace320 View Post
I think that is a stretch. I'm not sure how some people can tell all Africans from African Americans. Is the child of an African immigrant born in the US considered to be African simply because he acts in a different way from the stereotypical African American you see on TV? Would you also assume an African American kid whose family has lived in the US for generations and grows up to act proper to be "African" simply because of the gentle way that they act?

I was born in England, parents from Africa, but grew up in the Houston since age 2. I consider myself AA because I experienced the same things a AA would experience. I would say that I am not treated much differently from a normal AA except when I start talking and they notice I sound like a white person. But many Africans Americans also speak perfect english, unlike the media would want one to believe. I've seen some recent African immigrants raise kids who fit the image of the stereotypical black person in the US. What would your reaction be then? Would you consider them gentle?

Seriously, go to a college campus and talk to a Black student. Then make a prediction whether they are "African" or not. I know I can't tell when I walk around campus.

This generalization really pisses me off. Makes it seem as if one is better than the other.
Laughin here-- how do 'white people' SOUND? Nasal whine? Brooklynese? Southern drawl? Cajun dialect? Somehow the amorphous white blob doesn't feel threatened by Acadian exiles dominating the culture in La. They embrace it as a good time to be had by all and that darker complexion mysteriously isn't 'lesser'.

The majority of blacks I've known personally speak perfect english. I grew up in an era when that was a priority. I've seen this standard decline in youth steadily. Presuming I meant strictly among black population is yet another symptom of racism.

Now if you'll go back to the video tape, you'll see michael's ears are finely tuned to seek out any offense he possibly can. His narrative is so well tuned his brain actually MAKES UP an offense where there was none addressed to him or to anyone on that bus until he was provoked.

When the answer to perceived poor treatment is to trump it with worse treatment, that's incompatible with the civilization we share. Your response to my posting is an echo of looking for offense. Gentler sensibilities= respectful. Which ethnicity has the patent rights on respectful?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I don't think whites are the only ones perceived as racists, except by racists themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies