Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Yeah, no. Katrina was a threat to the whole country. Bush took money meant for the levees and put it towards his war. He did nothing before. He was forced to do something after.

Ah yes, let's listen to this fantasy you came up with.

The last part of your name fits.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The levee boards of New Orleans spend federal money meant for levee up keep on private purchases that had nothing to do with the levees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:28 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,986 times
This oil spill has the potential to affect Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. If the current predicitions of its effect are true, the economy in all of these states will be devastated. Also, the land, Gulf, and marine life will be decimated for years to come. I don't see how anyone could not say that this disaster could be the biggest to hit the Gulf Coast for years to come. They are still cleaning up after the Exxon Valdez in Alaska, and this spill is much bigger than that. I live on the Gulf Coast, and it will put many people out of work, not just the shrimpers. How about the people that depend on tourists? No one will want to spend their vacation at a beach with an oil spill. I just can't understand why anyone would think it is okay to drill in the Gulf...I guess it is people that don't have to look at the oil wells in their neighborhood and don't have to worry about the damage a spill can cause. It is also extremely dangerous to the health of the people of this region. It will affect our air and water quality, but hey people need to keep driving like there is no tomorrow, so who cares right?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
This oil spill has the potential to affect Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. If the current predicitions of its effect are true, the economy in all of these states will be devastated. Also, the land, Gulf, and marine life will be decimated for years to come. I don't see how anyone could not say that this disaster could be the biggest to hit the Gulf Coast for years to come. They are still cleaning up after the Exxon Valdez in Alaska, and this spill is much bigger than that. I live on the Gulf Coast, and it will put many people out of work, not just the shrimpers. How about the people that depend on tourists? No one will want to spend their vacation at a beach with an oil spill. I just can't understand why anyone would think it is okay to drill in the Gulf...I guess it is people that don't have to look at the oil wells in their neighborhood and don't have to worry about the damage a spill can cause. It is also extremely dangerous to the health of the people of this region. It will affect our air and water quality, but hey people need to keep driving like there is no tomorrow, so who cares right?
The lovely Sarah Palin just said two weeks ago that off shore drilling was perfectly safe. But then she's not a big supporter of wildlife and the eco-system so I guess all those things you and most American care about are expendable to the "drill, baby drill" crowd.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 05-02-2010 at 07:56 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 AM

People have been drilling in the Gulf of Mexico for over 50 years. This is the first such disaster in the gulf. Heads should and will roll when the cause of the explosion and leak is found. My dad and uncle who retired from the oil industry said it's very possible the explosion was sabotage but that it's also possible someone really screwed up on the platform in a major way they've never seen before. With enviromentalist terrorist willing to set fire to people's homes and auto dealerships, it's not unlikely that they'd also be willing to set off an explosion on an oil rig,...possibly not realizing that even a minor explosion could set off a major explosion and massive oil spill of this magnitude.
Quote:

Old 05-02-2010, 06:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You seem to be so obsessed with hating our President, that you are stretching truths to try and compare him to President Bush.
And people don't obsess with hating Bush? Pfft...

Please tell me you can say with a straight face that if this was happening while Bush was president that the left would not be outraged and blaming it on Bush. If you can do that, you will be certifiably insane.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I think the issue is just how safe is oil drilling and what if anything was done wrong by the oil company that owned the drilling platform. I'd also like to know just what caused the initial explosion while we're at it. They need to bring up samples of the wreckage and test it to rule out any possible sabotage.
The other issue is just how it was left go without any real emergency response by anybody. Not the company, not the US government, nobody. They were on scene and made attempts at a rescue and then at putting out the fire, but the severity of the crisis went unnoticed because nobody bothered to launch a full damage assessment.
Obama's in full panic mode finally but it took him long enough. Maybe had the oil spill happened closer to Haiti he might have took action sooner.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
And people don't obsess with hating Bush? Pfft...

Please tell me you can say with a straight face that if this was happening while Bush was president that the left would not be outraged and blaming it on Bush. If you can do that, you will be certifiably insane.
Quit arguing about Bush and Obama and worry about something that matters, the oil spill. Bush is in the past and Obama is our President. So, we all have to watch and see what Obama does to help contain the current disaster. Talking and arguing about the past will not help anything at all.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
People have been drilling in the Gulf of Mexico for over 50 years. This is the first such disaster in the gulf. Heads should and will roll when the cause of the explosion and leak is found. My dad and uncle who retired from the oil industry said it's very possible the explosion was sabotage but that it's also possible someone really screwed up on the platform in a major way they've never seen before. With enviromentalist terrorist willing to set fire to people's homes and auto dealerships, it's not unlikely that they'd also be willing to set off an explosion on an oil rig,...possibly not realizing that even a minor explosion could set off a major explosion and massive oil spill of this magnitude.
Yes, they have in a limited way. Now they are talking of expanding the drilling in the Gulf. I don't think they should. We cannot replace our natural resources, but we can work on making atlternative fuel methods more effective and more acessible. We need to stand up to the oil companies and quit letting them control our nation.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Quit arguing about Bush and Obama and worry about something that matters, the oil spill. Bush is in the past and Obama is our President. So, we all have to watch and see what Obama does to help contain the current disaster. Talking and arguing about the past will not help anything at all.
And of all these posts you chose mine to tell me to quit arguing about Bush and Obama. Your post smels funny.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, they have in a limited way. Now they are talking of expanding the drilling in the Gulf. I don't think they should. We cannot replace our natural resources, but we can work on making atlternative fuel methods more effective and more acessible. We need to stand up to the oil companies and quit letting them control our nation.
Back in the 60s and 70s, there were far more oil rigs operating in the Gulf than there is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies