Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
Do you believe that White People in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than White People on the East Coast?

Here in suburban Washington DC they say that even with all the ethnic diversity we have that WHITE PEOPLE still are in the majority. Maybe but these are not the type of white people I am familar with. But here in the Urban Northeast, most of the so called White People come from Italian, Greek and Middle Eastern Ethnic Backgrounds and bring their culture to the area. For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type.

But go to a place like Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota or Nebraska and most of the White People come from a German ancestry and the regional culture is completely different.

Do you see what I am talking about? Why does everyone lump all white people together acting like they are all the same? Whites in the Urban Northeast Cities and the Midwest are completely different. Don't you agree?

I am from the midwest. Most of the people here are of German/Danish/Norwegian/ Swedish ancestory. That is probably why people work hard here, as that is the culture that was imported from farming communities in northern europe.

Interestingly, having visited large urban areas in the northeast many times, I am struck by how physically ugly the general population is. The facial features of many of the people one encounters are on the average, are not pleasing in the least. Not to say that there are not good looking people there by any means, but the average person is downright homely. Character, of course, is more important than appearance, but the ugly stick has battered the northeast mercilessly.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am from the midwest. Most of the people here are of German/Danish/Norwegian/ Swedish ancestory. That is probably why people work hard here, as that is the culture that was imported from farming communities in northern europe.

Interestingly, having visited large urban areas in the northeast many times, I am struck by how physically ugly the general population is. The facial features of many of the people one encounters are on the average, are not pleasing in the least. Not to say that there are not good looking people there by any means, but the average person is downright homely. Character, of course, is more important than appearance, but the ugly stick has battered the northeast mercilessly.
Good Lord!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:

Really???? Ugly huh? Interesting cause I am from the Northeast and I don't think I am half bad in the looks department. Check out my photo and let me know if I have been hit with the "ugly stick". I won't get mad, I promise.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's according to where you live. Where I live, rudeness is the norm. But go up to Georgia and the Carolinas, and politeness is the norm.

As for country of origin, different nationalities settled in different parts of the country.

BTW, I'm more beige or ecru rather than white.

I wonder if this is why my neighbors are rude. I live in Texas.

Nah, they probably just don't like me.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
At first I misread the OP's post and thought you were talking about white Midwesterners.. I then realized you were actually talking about white East Coasters.. Weird, huh?

Chicago got the nickname "city of Big Shoulders" because of all the different ethnic groups in the city. And by ethnic groups, I mean Poles, Italians, Greeks, the Irish, etc. Most white people in Chicago city and suburbs are not WASPs, imagine that!

Not so sure about the rest of the Midwest but I doubt it's THAT different..

There are plenty of Greeks,Italians,Arabs,Poles, etc. in the areas around and cities of Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There are plenty of Greeks,Italians,Arabs,Poles, etc. in the areas around and cities of Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit.
Omaha has its Scandinavians and Germans, but it also has a fair sized Italian community (Marlon Brando was born there; Henry Fonda was born in Grand Island, Neb, but moved to Omaha and got his start at the Omaha Community Theater); Czech community, Jewish community, and now, Hispanic community.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Really???? Ugly huh? Interesting cause I am from the Northeast and I don't think I am half bad in the looks department. Check out my photo and let me know if I have been hit with the "ugly stick". I won't get mad, I promise.
Sorry.

I cannot see your photo. I have certainly met some very nice people in the northeast (very friendly people). There ARE certainly good looking people in the northeast. However, they really are, on the average, not very attractive people at all. I think that the features that many Americans consider attractive are the high cheek bones, small noses, blonde hair, blue eyes, non receeding chin- are features of northern europeans. That "standard" is really not seen on the aggregate in the northeast.

That being said, I am a strong supporter of academics and intellect above personal appearance and have emphasized that among my children. The media focuses far too much on appearance over achievement and personal character, which is completely wrong.

My son, who is looking at colleges, visited Boston College as a potential school. Without prompting or any pre-concieved notions, he returned (with my wife in attendance) to report that the citizens of Boston must somehow have intermingled thier genetics with dogs and thought that the co-eds were cross dressers. I then revealed to him this sad state of affairs is relatively pervasive in the northeast and that one should probably not seek potential spouses in that region, but should focus on the academic attributes of the institution. As a teenage male, he said there was no way in hell he was going to school there.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Sorry.

I cannot see your photo. I have certainly met some very nice people in the northeast (very friendly people). There ARE certainly good looking people in the northeast. However, they really are, on the average, not very attractive people at all. I think that the features that many Americans consider attractive are the high cheek bones, small noses, blonde hair, blue eyes, non receeding chin- are features of northern europeans. That "standard" is really not seen on the aggregate in the northeast.

That being said, I am a strong supporter of academics and intellect above personal appearance and have emphasized that among my children. The media focuses far too much on appearance over achievement and personal character, which is completely wrong.

My son, who is looking at colleges, visited Boston College as a potential school. Without prompting or any pre-concieved notions, he returned (with my wife in attendance) to report that the citizens of Boston must somehow have intermingled thier genetics with dogs and thought that the co-eds were cross dressers. I then revealed to him this sad state of affairs is relatively pervasive in the northeast and that one should probably not seek potential spouses in that region, but should focus on the academic attributes of the institution. As a teenage male, he said there was no way in hell he was going to school there.

Huh I thought my albums were public.

Anyway I think making statements like that do not show your intelligence and I know you are intelligent. To say that most people in the Northeast are ugly is really very close minded and well out right wrong.

I don't think I am gorgeous but I most certainly to not feel that I am ugly. But who knows maybe to you I would be.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Lump together much? No, they do not all come close to anything that hideous as what was on Jersey show. In fact, there is still regional play in there. As in, which area of Italy your family was from.

By the way, you do know that the Polish Constitution Day Parade is today? That is in Chicago. There is a Greek section, Italian section, Russian area, Polish area, Serbian area, etc. in Chicago and its suburbs. There is even a town that is made up of mostly Italian Americans in Indiana.

Yes, there are regional differences. People in the midwest are vastly different than those from the East Coast or the West Coast or the South West or the South East.
I think people taking these so called reality series shows seriously is a bad idea. Jersey housewives--- I've never met vapid hateful people like that in Jersey. NY housewives same thing. Sure, some can be very high strung, but the rest is hollywood canned ham.

Even this OP-- would it interest you to know that a coworker from Savannah Georgia moving to Long Island NY had a huge problem with the disrespectful attitudes of Chicago blacks? He was raised to go pick out a switch for himself when he misbehaved as a boy because 5 neighbors phoned his maw before he ever made it home. Totally different head and having grown up predominantly rural myself, I could totally relate to him despite being a yankee deprived of culinary gems like cornbread or to die for biscuits.

The regional sensibilities have so much more to do with social standards than nation of origin, or even creed IMO. For all I know Amish transplanted to Hawaii might start resembling tibetan monks. I notice here in WV, most of the culture seems to spring up from the rock itself. The state motto is the whole truth. Most are of Irish and german descent but have their own unique spin going on making them neither north, nor south, nor east or midwest.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Huh I thought my albums were public.

Anyway I think making statements like that do not show your intelligence and I know you are intelligent. To say that most people in the Northeast are ugly is really very close minded and well out right wrong.

I don't think I am gorgeous but I most certainly to not feel that I am ugly. But who knows maybe to you I would be.
Yes, you're as hideous as Marilyn Munster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.