Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:42 AM

128 posts, read 403,337 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that White People in the Midwest are significantly different culturally than White People on the East Coast?

Here in suburban Washington DC they say that even with all the ethnic diversity we have that WHITE PEOPLE still are in the majority. Maybe but these are not the type of white people I am familar with. But here in the Urban Northeast, most of the so called White People come from Italian, Greek and Middle Eastern Ethnic Backgrounds and bring their culture to the area. For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type.

But go to a place like Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota or Nebraska and most of the White People come from a German ancestry and the regional culture is completely different.

Do you see what I am talking about? Why does everyone lump all white people together acting like they are all the same? Whites in the Urban Northeast Cities and the Midwest are completely different. Don't you agree?

Last edited by Tough Questions; 05-01-2010 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 07:30 AM

160 posts, read 183,688 times
I have never been to the Midwest but whites from the northeast act way different from whites in the southern states (they are nicer down there).

Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
americans are different of all skin tones.
however the terms-- white people and gringo-- were invented because alota people that live here had to come up with words to describe folks that got money and power and are not very much like them, people they dont like.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
For example, in suburban New York the US Census says that most white people have Italian Ancestry. Ever seen the TV Show Jersey Shore? You know the type.
Lump together much? No, they do not all come close to anything that hideous as what was on Jersey show. In fact, there is still regional play in there. As in, which area of Italy your family was from.

By the way, you do know that the Polish Constitution Day Parade is today? That is in Chicago. There is a Greek section, Italian section, Russian area, Polish area, Serbian area, etc. in Chicago and its suburbs. There is even a town that is made up of mostly Italian Americans in Indiana.

Yes, there are regional differences. People in the midwest are vastly different than those from the East Coast or the West Coast or the South West or the South East.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Yes, that's true. But the thing that makes them different is the current social environment they live in, not their ancestry. Greek Americans living in Cedar Rapids Iowa are just like Norwegian Americans living in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Norwegian Americans living in Brooklyn are just like Greek Americans living in Brooklyn.

A friend of mine was born and raised in New York City, went to college in North Dakota, and now lives in a small town in Michigan. I was surprised when he told me he was from New York, because he acted just like every other midwesterner. I have another friend who grew up in a small town in Ohio, and now lives in Manhattan. He acts like everyone else in New York City.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-01-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its not surpring that in a country this size the culture is so diverse and varies so much fromone areas to anthoer. heck there are several diffent type just in Texas alone. The culture between large varies is so much different than smaller towns and ruarl areas.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
I've noticed that the rural populace, regardless of race, is very different from those who live in large urban areas, it doesn't seem to matter where they live regionally. White people in the mid west are mostly rural but they also have cities like Minneapolis that have the art and theatre interests that create a different cultural bent than that of small towns. No one area can be neatly summed up except on TV.

There is no racial stereotype that would be considered valid by most people, I wouldn't worry about whether I was "lumped" together for the purpose of racial identification, however, I am worried about any race of people who are lumped together in their negative views of other races. Beyond that, American culture today consists mostly of TV fare and not any ethnic flavor, I suspect you'll find more "pop culture" than any other kind out in the heartland.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
I am in the midwest, and for years I heard that people from the northeast thought there were still "cowboy and indians", like in the Lone Ranger and Tonto or something to that effect. We do still have cowboys and indians but we also drive cars and have big cities. I believe northeastern people think we are all redneck, and some of the people are, but we also have independently wealthy people who never see dirt. But here, and nothing bad about it, we have always called northeastern people "Yankees" and thought they were stuck up people, who couldn't say oil correctly.
I am mostly of German ancestry, but I don't remember any German cowboys. Is there no American culture and we are just made up of groups of different people who actually have a culture?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Yes , urban/rural makes a difference, but the cities of the midwest are still very different from the cities of the east. There is a very noticeable difference between Minneapolis,Milwaukee, Kansas City, on the one hand, and Boston, Philadelphia, New York on the other.

By the way, people in Minneapolis are no more interested in "art" and "theater" or "dining" than people in Red Wing or Albert Lea. No more so than they are more interested in baseball or football. They just don't have to drive so far to get to it, but the depth of the interest is the same.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Probably the most polite white people live on Cape Bretton NS Cdn. I have toured Canada and most of the USA, and found the nicest folks were Scotts and on Cape Bretton NS Cdn.

Nothern New England is a salt and pepper area with everyone.

Probably the best city in North America is Montreal, for peacable diversity.

All the word Yankees is is French accent and native American accent mixed is such a way as it seems in this time to not be the word English.

Yankees are both north and soputh of the Mason Dixon Line. There is about 1,000 ways to spell it too. Yanglaise (more french) Yungquis (more native) Yanguees Yunquwish (more native) and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies