Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we shoot and kill those trying to cross the border?
YES, by all means, we need to keep the illegals out 14 41.18%
No, NO WAY! 20 58.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

I say if they are armed then that is enough. I don't want them waiting to be shot hopig tehy are not hit. This is vity poicing as we have seen but many are armed cartel memebrs and criminals.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Default Obama loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The last 5 Presidents, and however many different congresses are all to blame for our immigration issue.

It goes back to even before Reagan.

Remember, the great Republican President of our time, did the amnesty thing, and W proposed the same thing as well.

Don't make this sound like an Obama only problem.
Why would I bring up the last 5 adminstrations that have already come and gone?

Try living in the present.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why would I bring up the last 5 adminstrations that have already come and gone?

Try living in the present.
You make it sound like its all the current Presidents fault. Illegal immigration isn't a new thing.

You also bring up that he is supposedly pro amnesty, and he has said he isn't. Yet, Republican Presidents have been pro amnesty, did you complain about it then?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
I'm not sure your being serious, but the arguement that the threat of being shot will stop illegal immigrates is like saying the death penalty deters murder.Heat exhaustion, starvation and dehydration doesn't stop anyone from trying to enter the U S, adding being shot to this risk, thats just one more risk I'm pretty sure would not be a major deterrent, especially when you consider just how many illegals are actually caught compared to how many get in.Decent nations don't shoot and kill people trying to cross their borders
It's interesting that you mention that. I recall seeing a documentary on the secret Air Force base in the Nevada desert nick named "area 51" and before you start thinking I'm sitting here with a tin foil hat on , I'm not going to start talking about aliens and stuff LOL. Anyway's there were signs up miles from the actual "border" of the base and even the front gates , and these signs basically said if you trespass beyond this point use of deadly force will be used. And you were saying something about decent nations....

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
I'm not sure your being serious, but the arguement that the threat of being shot will stop illegal immigrates is like saying the death penalty deters murder.Heat exhaustion, starvation and dehydration doesn't stop anyone from trying to enter the U S, adding being shot to this risk, thats just one more risk I'm pretty sure would not be a major deterrent, especially when you consider just how many illegals are actually caught compared to how many get in.Decent nations don't shoot and kill people trying to cross their borders
The reason why it will not work is not because of the risk of getting shot. Just as with the death penalty the punishment is delayed or dismissed. It would work if the Rules of Engagement were shoot on sight. Because of the Law of Armed Conflict this will never happen. Not because of the conditions you describe. I guarantee shoot on site ROE's would stop illegal crossings and drug trafficking.

Moral, unjust and deplorable? Yes, but that does not diminish the effectiveness.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,292 times
Like the one great conservative said. Kill them all except for the ones roofing my house, let them finish.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
If it were up to me, there would be a complete fence on the border. On the USA side of the river, between the fence and the river, there would be a mine field. Every 1/4 mile or so there would be sniper towers. I think you'd see a drastic reduction of illegals in this country. I know this is fantasy, too expensive, too over the top, etc., etc. but it's what I'd like to see.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:28 AM

220 posts, read 222,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Why does it have to be a false dichotomy between doing nothing or shooting them?

Why can't we catch and arrest those who try to sneak in, while making it increasingly more difficult? Why can't we punish with severe penalties those American companies who employ illegal aliens? Why can't we punish those who harbor illegal aliens and aid them in remaining in the US?

It's not a false dichotomy. Obviously you want to try to detain them.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
If it were up to me, there would be a complete fence on the border. On the USA side of the river, between the fence and the river, there would be a mine field. Every 1/4 mile or so there would be sniper towers. I think you'd see a drastic reduction of illegals in this country. I know this is fantasy, too expensive, too over the top, etc., etc. but it's what I'd like to see.
It might be expensive and over the top , but it would work.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Default No kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You make it sound like its all the current Presidents fault. Illegal immigration isn't a new thing.

You also bring up that he is supposedly pro amnesty, and he has said he isn't. Yet, Republican Presidents have been pro amnesty, did you complain about it then?
Of course I did.

Your blind rush to Obamas defense is touching. I hope you wake up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies