Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What part of I would not eat in a restaurant where people wear guns don't you understand? I wouldn't do it. Period.

Luckily, I live in Europe at the moment and don't have to deal with these morons.
We're thankful for that. Please keep the Eurpoean attitude towards firearms where it belongs - in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm sure I haven't.
I don't live in the wacky crazy gun totin' wild west of the US.
I rarely eat out and the few restaurants I do are not the type that insecure gun-totin' whackos would choose to eat in.
Don't be so sure. if it's a concealed weapon, you just don't see it. It doesn't mean it's not there. You know what happens when you assume...

How would you characterize the restaurants that lawful, concealed-permit using people go to? Steakhouses? T&A bars? I think that we pretty much run the gamut on eateries. The exception might be some of the tree-hugging granola places. Are you a fan of those?

And why do you assume that everyone who carries is insecure? I'm not, whether I'm carrying or not. I never pay attention to the 'no guns' signs. If I'm carrying concealed, no one sees and unless there's a worst case scenario, no one will ever know. If someone should see what I have, the most the owner/manager can do is ask me to leave. If I do, no foul. If I don't, only then does it become a criminal trespass issue. (I've never been asked to leave anywhere...)

There's a difference between "gun nut" and "nut with a gun". Do some wackos carry guns? Sure, some do. But then there are a lot more wackos carrying Bibles, Korans, and drivers' licenses yet those aren't prohibited. Look around you in Europe - you're up to your armpits in wackos yet you're not complaining!

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 05-03-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have a statistic for you...two people drove off an armed attacker with nothing more than beer bottles.
And over 30 unarmed people were killed in VA Tech because no one could stop a madman. You can try defending yourself with beer bottles if you wish, I'll stick to my guns.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
The important part of Heller is what the Court didn't say. The Court left in place the District of Columbia's ban on carrying firearms. You can have one in your home. That's all the court ruled.
That's because they couldn't as that was not the issue before the court. But Heller made it very clear how they will rule when the issue does come up. There's another case in DC working its way up on that which is all but certain to result in carry being allowed in DC after the SCOTUS reviews it.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That's because they couldn't as that was not the issue before the court. But Heller made it very clear how they will rule when the issue does come up. There's another case in DC working its way up on that which is all but certain to result in carry being allowed in DC after the SCOTUS reviews it.
LOL, no you're just dreaming. Scalia specifically reaffirmed the right of local government to restrict firearms.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
LOL, no you're just dreaming. Scalia specifically reaffirmed the right of local government to restrict firearms.
Actually what he said was the power to restrict firearms is limited. Felons may be prohibited from owning them, places like schools may restrict them, otherwise, there's little room for restriction. No firearm in common use may be restricted. The incorporation case, the DC case on carry, and some others working their way through the courts will have the effect of destroying the gun control agenda.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 AM

369 posts, read 681,272 times
Quote:
If that were true, the DC handgun ban would still be on the books. It isn't, so obviously the above isn't 100% correct. What the ruling pointed towards was that _this_ court seems to be OK with _some_ controls. Those controls really haven't been ruled on one way or another, just hinted at in the Heller ruling (felons with guns, registration OK, etc..).

Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Actually what he said was the power to restrict firearms is limited. Felons may be prohibited from owning them, places like schools may restrict them, otherwise, there's little room for restriction. No firearm in common use may be restricted. The incorporation case, the DC case on carry, and some others working their way through the courts will have the effect of destroying the gun control agenda.
Wet dream. ROFLMAO

Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
The important part of Heller is what the Court didn't say. The Court left in place the District of Columbia's ban on carrying firearms. You can have one in your home. That's all the court ruled.

Don't bother, it doesn't matter what actually happened, he will find a way to twist it to his viewpoint.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
If that were true, the DC handgun ban would still be on the books. It isn't, so obviously the above isn't 100% correct. What the ruling pointed towards was that _this_ court seems to be OK with _some_ controls. Those controls really haven't been ruled on one way or another, just hinted at in the Heller ruling (felons with guns, registration OK, etc..).

That's because it was a blanket ban on handguns. You can now own a handgun, but why don't you strap it to your thigh and take a walk around and see what happens?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Default Gun Advocates Blast Fuddruckers

I have a concealed carry permit. Guess I'll cross Fudrucker's off my list. No biggie. I'd only been there a couple of times, anyway. Twelve dollar cheeseburgers aren't high on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies