Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times

Advertisements

2 words...

Get lost...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:11 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If everyone drove a more fuel efficient vehicle we wouldn't need to drill everywhere off our coast. Thousands of people in the Gulf Coast will be out of work for years because of our addiction to oil. Perhaps many people

Do you people who needlessly and unapologetically drive gas guzzlers want to apologize to those people whose livelihoods your habits have helped eliminate?

LOL. People like you get funnier all the time. So what kind of vehicle do you suggest people own that will pull a trailer, hull around livestock, or navigate irregular terrain?

I have a large SUV and I do not feel the least bit responsible. No other vehicle will fit my needs. I certainly would not have my children in some tin can either.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Quote:
If everyone drove a more fuel efficient vehicle we wouldn't need to drill everywhere off our coast. Thousands of people in the Gulf Coast will be out of work for years because of our addiction to oil. Perhaps many people

Do you people who needlessly and unapologetically drive gas guzzlers want to apologize to those people whose livelihoods your habits have helped eliminate?
Some people need large, inefficeint vehicles for their jobs. Others have large families and need the extra space. I don't think anyone should apologize for what they drive. Instead, maybe you could worry about what you can do to use less oil.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:

I think the people who have ever bought any ammonia, anesthetics, antihistamines, artificial limbs, artificial turf, antiseptics, aspirin, auto parts, awnings, balloons, ballpoint pens, bandages, beach umbrellas, boats, cameras, candles, car battery cases, carpets, caulking, combs, cortisones, cosmetics, crayons, credit cards, curtains, deodorants, detergents, dice, disposable diapers, dolls, dyes, eye glasses, electrical wiring insulation, faucet washers, fishing rods, fishing line, fishing lures, food preservatives, food packaging, garden hose, glue, hair coloring, hair curlers, hand lotion, hearing aids, heart valves, ink, insect repellant, insecticides, linoleum, lip stick, milk jugs, nail polish, oil filters, panty hose, perfume, petroleum jelly, and type of plastic, rubber cement, rubbing alcohol, shampoo, shaving cream, shoes, toothpaste, trash bags, upholstery, vitamin capsules, water pipes, or yarn are to blame. i never buy BP gasoline.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Why would they need to. If you look this happened since gas consumption actually went down. But we need to realise that we no lng control the gasoline shortage or pirce. Its the rate that the emerign counries especaily China are consoming by leaps and boucnds every year. Once the recesion is over; emergy consumptoion including gasoline will go back up. China is now the growth area in vehicles alos having surpassed the US.Even oif we all drove very samll cars this would have happened. Its like sayig that the people against more seciurity measure need to appolgise for teh car bomb attempt yesterday in NY.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:

I agree with you. I am glad that Obama had the guts to raise the MPG standards which will hopefully get rid of some of the more offending vehicles. But I think we should go a lot further and impose a gasoline "floor tax" of at least $4 a gallon- which would mean that gasoline would cost a minimum of $4.00 a gallon all the time. The tax would be used partially (80%) to offset income taxes and the rest (20%) for highways, bridges and public transit.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I bet the keyboard you are typing this is on is made from plastic.

How Do We Use Petroleum? (http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Do-We-Use-Petroleum?&id=737152 - broken link)

If you happen to use anything mentioned in that article, I hope you have already started working on your apology.

Like plastic. Roads. Anything that comes in a truck that drives on a road. Um, and that electricity stuff. Your computer/electronic devices you use probably uses electricity. Unless you've found out how to make them run on rainbows and dreams.
Nobody said we could get totally rid of oil. But we consume FAR more per person than even the rest of the industrialized world does. It can be cut- probably by half.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:46 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
If everyone drove a more fuel efficient vehicle we wouldn't need to drill everywhere off our coast.
Yeah, but then we'd have to use rolls of plastic wrap for tires leaving us with tin foil for food wrap... no more tin foil hats. What'cha gonna do then, bad boy....

Old 05-03-2010, 05:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
one thing chevron and dept of energy lied about, gas prices are in fact highly sensitive to consumption, buy a little car today. tax SUV's off the road.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
ever check the fuel effeciency of a commericial fishing boat? i used to burn 40 gals a day on just a 21' old clam boat. cant imigine what a shrimper burns.them new battery powered ones aint out yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies