Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I don't see any problem with them wanting a raise, wouldn't YOU want a raise once in a while? I try to put myself in their shoes, they really aren't making that much money compared to what they could be making in the private sector. Not all the Representatives are independently wealthy folks, many support their family on the salary they make, I don't hold it against them for wanting to make a bit more.
I severely disagree with you on this one. Let's not forget that these are the same greedy pigs that will demand everyone below them such as teachers, police officers, etc to take pay cuts. These are true scumbags of the highest order.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I severely disagree with you on this one. Let's not forget that these are the same greedy pigs that will demand everyone below them such as teachers, police officers, etc to take pay cuts. These are true scumbags of the highest order.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Unacceptable. You can bet that their respective districts are full of people hurting for money, or even for a job at all. Then these congressmen rub it in their face, during a time when this country is in a grave financial situation, by voting to give themselves a raise, funded by tax dollars of course.

But - I have to give this guy props:
Quote:
“In almost every profession, salary increases are dependent on performance, experience, tenure or any number of factors other than really showing up to work every day,” said Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, a longtime opponent of the pay raise.
He gets it! Imagine being able to give yourself a raise by simply having a vote! How would it be?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
I love these posts. Thank you for informing us so we can vote out these scumbags. Why are 13 of 15 black? What is the connection?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:38 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Ten of the fifteen are members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,413 times
I too noticed all but two are black. I suspect it has to do with the fact that they represent largely uneducated communities who are likely uninformed with the issues. The representatives in turn feel as if it's easy to turn this into their advantage to vote for this without compromising their reelection campaigns. Shame on them! Exploiting their own communities and the people who trust them to represent them.

On the other hand, being a representative is VERY expensive. Their salaries alone surely can't support their campaigns and such. Perhaps having better-paid representatives would alleviate corruption and the corporate takeover of the government we entrust on acting on our wonderful country's best interest? Or maybe a complete reevaluation of our campaign system is in call here. Hmm. . .

Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Congress is so out of touch with what is going on in this country. I dont care what party they are, vote your incumbent out of office. Congress is such a mess.
Congresspersons are grossly underpaid. If you got the same compensation per unit of difficulty, challenge, and responsibility that they do, your annual salary would be like $4.60.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Congress is so out of touch with what is going on in this country. I dont care what party they are, vote your incumbent out of office. Congress is such a mess.
Is it just me, or does it seem like most of these belong to a minority group?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I don't see any problem with them wanting a raise, wouldn't YOU want a raise once in a while? I try to put myself in their shoes, they really aren't making that much money compared to what they could be making in the private sector. Not all the Representatives are independently wealthy folks, many support their family on the salary they make, I don't hold it against them for wanting to make a bit more.
then let's send them back to the private sector so they can earn that money!.

these people certainly don't understand the concept of sacrifice for their country.....

i don't think there are any more JFK democrats left.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
How many Black people are in the House of Reps? It seems their voting for this bill is completely disproportional per their population.
There are 42 African-Americans in the House of Representatives (42 Democrats, and 0 Republicans), making them 9.7% of that body. Blacks are about 13% of the general population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies