Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
Better safe than sorry.
This brings us right back to where we started. It does not have any effect on your life so you do not give a crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM

160 posts, read 342,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
wrong.
Are you sure?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I don't defend illegal acts.

I DO defend our Constitutuion:

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If the state of AZ wishes to violate the Constitution, they either need to secede from the union first, or work within the legal system to change (void?) the 4th Amendment.

If the state of AZ wishes to violate the Constitution, they either need to secede from the union first, or work within the legal system to change (void?) the 4th Amendment.
But the point is that the state of Arizona is NOT violating the Constitution. The right of WHICH people to be secure from searches?
And notice, it says unreasonable searches, not all searches.

It is reasonable to search for and deport illegal immigrants since they bring so many social problems with them. And, since they aren't citizens, how are they protected by the Constitution??

I know that it is about the drug supply. Who are people going to get their cheap drugs from??

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
Mexicans ARE Americans. America consists of north - including Canada, central and south America.

Your(and I mean all white people, not just you) ancestors were the "illegal scum suckers" but my ancestors were not given the chance to tell you that if you wanted to be here, in OUR land, you had to abide by the rules and learn our languages.

White Americans are the MOST hypocritical people on the face of the planet.

The land called Arizona today was the land of the Maxica(Mexicans) and your(again - "your" plural) ancestors plotted and murdered, and plundered, and robbed, until you pushed them off their own land.

I hope more Mexicans come to this country... by the millions, and more TRUE Americans from the other parts of AMERICA!

YOU(plural - I have to do this because I'm being profiled in "personal attacks") are the Illegal Aliens! White people have been Illegal Aliens here in OUR AMERICA since 1492.

You're all a bunch of HYPOCRITES!
You see? This is the attitude of the Mexicans. They don't want to assimilate into American culture the way that Northern Europeans, Southern Europeans, Africans, Eastern Europeans, Central Asians, Japanese, Koreans, Cubans, Chinese, Costa Ricans, Hondurans, and etc. did. Nope. They want to move that border northward. And they want to make the US of A into the same basket-case of a country that is Mexico. AND they give a bad name to the Mexicans who did assimilate.

Last edited by Teak; 05-04-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 04:28 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Why are people DEFENDING illegal Americans? The GOAL is to catch them and deport them, a MAJOR problem.

It's only ARIZONA, so San Fransico go ahead and "boycott" I'll donate my freaking bank account to the governer for actually doing something that isn't meant to get him re-elected, although that might've eventually been the idea.

I agree 100% with this... I'd LOVE getting stopped by police to get my ID/citizenship checked...shows some government program is working...

So whats the problem? "Racial Profiling" oh nooo.... its YOUR COUNTRY, you should be proud we're fighting back, Mexico certainly isn't going to do this for us
I'm against illegal immigration as much as anyone. First, there is no such thing as a job that "no American is willing to do". I'd sniff dog crap all day if the price were right. Illegal immigrants are shingling roofs (for example) at minimum wage because the roofing companies don't have to pay $14 an hour for an American worker. Consequently that American worker is employeed at Walmart for $9 an hour. Worse, that American is almost always a blue collar worker, trying to make ends meet.

Having said all of that, I do not know the exact details of the Arizona law, but I have heard from various sources that law enforcement can stop ordinary citizens if it is suspected that he or she is an illegal immigrant. If that is in fact the Arizona law, then it is a bad law. It is too Gustapo-like to be practiced in America. I would be okay with it if they checked a person for citizenship status if the person were detained for some other illegal activity (even a traffic ticket), but I am not in favor of random stops.

Here's an idea; secure the borders and enforce laws that prohibit the hiring of illegal immigrants. Also, individuals can be pro-active and refrain from doing business with companies (like that roofing company) that employs illegal immigrants.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM

515 posts, read 716,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
Mexicans ARE Americans. America consists of north - including Canada, central and south America.

Your(and I mean all white people, not just you) ancestors were the "illegal scum suckers" but my ancestors were not given the chance to tell you that if you wanted to be here, in OUR land, you had to abide by the rules and learn our languages.

The land called Arizona today was the land of the Maxica(Mexicans) and your(again - "your" plural) ancestors plotted and murdered, and plundered, and robbed, until you pushed them off their own land.

I hope more Mexicans come to this country... by the millions, and more TRUE Americans from the other parts of AMERICA!

YOU(plural - I have to do this because I'm being profiled in "personal attacks") are the Illegal Aliens! White people have been Illegal Aliens here in OUR AMERICA since 1492.

Do you realize that IF....and that's one mighty big IF..."we" let you have "your" land that we would take all our improvements with us?

"We" would take "our" hospitals, roads, farms, processing plants, factories, law courts, libraries, schools, universities, shops and malls, post offices, restaurants, parks, ports, airports, gas and electric...whole cities and towns, in fact, ALL our buildings and improvements including the sidewalks.

And especially "our" welfare offices.

But why do you stop at 1492? How about earlier?

Was it "your" people who invaded and "plotted, plundered, murdered and robbed" the Clovis People and other early inhabitants after they came storming across the Bering Strait during the late ice age?

Tell me again, exactly WHO is the hypocrite?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
And notice, it says unreasonable searches, not all searches.
But, one needs to prove "just cause". That's where it is going to get sticky.

People mention the need to carry a passport to travel internationally. This is true. I do think that one of the things we need to to do ~is~ secure our borders.All of them. That has been our bad. I was glad when it became necessary to carry a passport to travel in and out of Canada. No offense to our Neighbors to the North, but that was potentially a big security breach.

Finally if we as a country are going to go this route, we need to think about ways to ask ~everyone~ for their identification with out discrimination or "profiling".

One of the few ways I can think of to do this would be to set up "border crossings" at all state lines and asking everyone to stop at these. It would slow interstate travel. It would make traveling across the US more like traveling across Europe. However, then we quite possibly bump up against the First Amendment.

Are the citizens of the USA ready for that? Why or why not?

It is one of the things I love love love about our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Such an amazing document. It really forces us to think long and hard about giving up our freedoms.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua
The word "WAS" in your statement above is correct. Mexico got defeated in the Mexican-American War and gave up the land of Arizona and a whole bunch more territory. I believe the Tready of Guadalupe Hidalgo defined the land aquired from Mexico in that war. The Mexican government signed and accepted that tready, so get over it.

Back to the OP, yes we need to inforce our immigration laws and get them illegals outta here. I have no problem if folks come to our country through the legal system, but if you enter this country any other way .. you're breaking our laws and need to face the consequences. It's time our states stand up to enforcing the laws, while our feds have the blindfolders on. This issue of illegals is not just focused on Mexicians, IT'S ALL ILLEGALS.

I applaud Arizona for taking action...!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 PM

378 posts, read 424,474 times
My god, to ALL of you who use the constitution in this argument - what makes you believe that "the right of the PEOPLE" includes ILLEGAL ALIENS??

It is absurd to lean on the constitution in defense of illegals . . . simply stated, it is an INSULT and a SLAP IN THE FACE TO ALL LEGAL CITIZENS.

The tip-toeing and cowering down by the "pc correct" crowd will be part of the ruination of this nation.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM

604 posts, read 750,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You say that knowing that the odds are that you wouldn't be stopped because your a white male. The potential to pick up American born citizens of Mexican descent is huge. THIS IS WHERE MY PROBLEM WITH THIS LAW IN MY COUNTRY IS. Of course, since it wouldn't impact you then you can stand on the sidelines and cheer on. I also noticed that in your OP you didn't say that you were going to run down to AZ to work on the farms.

However, since you are unwilling to go up to the IRS and you are unwilling to really spank the business' it is ok for you to stand on the sidelines to allow this to happen. In no way shape or form should American born get up every morning to carry the birth certificate, social security card and the picture ID, hence that is why we pay to get the ID, to avoid that.

As for football teams. This is not a country that takes football seriously. It never has. Uraguay usually has a great team. Mexico has a great team. It is ok, to even like football players from other countries.

I didn't hear one word of protest about the Polish Constitution Day that is celebrated in America. Imagine that. The border drug violence is a separate from immigration. Rightly so.

Brewer wants to act like a spoiled little child throwing a tantrum for her next election. Especially regarding her comments made to the media about her predecssor.
When in Rome...
Do as the romans, give the poor the jobs....instead of welfare...
"Spank the businesses, and the IRS?" I plan to be a politician and fix some of this sh*t

There are more than just Mexican illegal immigrants.
Aussies, Canadians, Europeans, many many others are illegal, only Mexicans make up 50%. Go ahead check mine, I was born in Australia, but I have dual citizenship, but am proud to live in a country where citizens make choices... but HATE the corruption and stupid stuff going on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I don't defend illegal acts.

I DO defend our Constitutuion:

Its not against the Constitution, BECAUSE of probable cause...

_______

LOL We're all Americans?? sorry we named ourselves after the Continent we settled instead of United Statesians...?
Uh... we won Arizona in the War... and we (I'm going to say Continentals since you aparantly have problems with "American") and WE, the continentals, were allowed to Settle by Mexico, until they became afraid we were using too much land, and tried to force people who'd made their homes there, away... sent an army, and they Texans fought back...

And I don't consider anyone except people who live in the United States of America, American... sure we let tons of immigrants GAIN citizenship, but we can't handle a failing economy as bad as Mexico's, and illegals flooding the borders, to come work here, do to us what its already done to Mexico, destroy the economy...

I'm sorry, 1492, lets bring up old family feuds and Alexander the Great, and grah-knuk tu the caveman while we're at it... considering we're going back so far in time... different beliefs, I don't want to say "superior" culture, but superior technology, and being "spawned" closer together to share and trade technology....

Native Americans, Africans, Aztecs, Incas, all died because of their own problems, but ALSO disease, and "white man" took their land, I will say, unrightfully, but still took it.

(sorry for this post, hadn't read other comments, and was answering on my own, but looks like many similar arguements)
I just don't want to get a nice job, and work hard for it, then cover taxes and welfare for some illegal family when it could be going towards an American one...?

Last edited by Kings Ranger; 05-04-2010 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies