Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Whoops. I'm sorry. I was able to read the full text by using googlenews. Let me know if you can't access it.

Not only did this appear in the WSJ, the author happens to be the Sheriff of Pima County AZ.
You're right. Here's the link"

Clarence W. Dupnik: Arizona's Immigration Mistake - WSJ.com

Nope, can't link to it; You actually have to go to google, search news for the keywords in the titls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Got it.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
For those who can't (or won't) read the article Sheriff Dupnik writes:

Quote:
The more fundamental problem with the law is its vague language. It requires law enforcement officials to demand papers from an individual when they have a "reasonable suspicion" that he is an illegal immigrant...

...When used in a law-enforcement context, "reasonable suspicion" is always understood to be subjective, but it must be capable of being articulated. In the case of identifying illegal immigrants, the ambiguity of what this "crime" looks like risks including an individual's appearance, which would seem to violate the Constitution's equal protection clause. Such ambiguity is especially dangerous when prescribed to an issue as fraught with emotion as that of illegal immigration.
I cannot quote the whole article due to the C-D TOS rules. It really is worth a read.

Somehow, I don't think Sheriff Dupnik fits into the "bleeding-heart liberal, out of touch with reality" mold. This is a person who has worked in law enforcement for ~50 years and deals with immigrants (both legal and illegal) on a daily basis.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
The only time someone will be required to produce papers, is when they don't have a state issued ID. Last time I got pulled over and it was 4 guys, they asked for all our ID's. No problem, we cooperated, they advised us our vehicle matched the description of a vehicle involved in a crime, although it was 3 hispanic males instead of us 4 white guys, but nobody complained about providing an ID. Must be a common sense thing that isn't as widespread as it should be.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Go back and read what I wrote. Flinch wrist. Resisting Law Enforcement.

How many police reports have you read?

I'll take that as a big not too many.
How many have YOU read?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
I was recently pulled over and had to show ID, registration and proof of insurance. Is this unconstitutional? If so, anyone know a good lawyer?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
How many have YOU read?
A lot, why?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I was recently pulled over and had to show ID, registration and proof of insurance. Is this unconstitutional? If so, anyone know a good lawyer?
Apparently it is if you're a stinkin illegal immigrant.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
A lot, why?
Because you're better than everyone, we just want to quantify it.

I'm wondering how often you read a police report that says "suspect flinched his wrist while handing me his ID, so I stuffed his head into a wall and arrested him" ??

Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
The only time someone will be required to produce papers, is when they don't have a state issued ID. Last time I got pulled over and it was 4 guys, they asked for all our ID's. No problem, we cooperated, they advised us our vehicle matched the description of a vehicle involved in a crime, although it was 3 hispanic males instead of us 4 white guys, but nobody complained about providing an ID. Must be a common sense thing that isn't as widespread as it should be.
The only people who will have a real problem with this, are those who have something to hide. You and your friends had nothing, so it was no big deal, but imagine if you were ILLEGAL; you would have been defensive and paranoid about what the police wanted you for. Imagine you hadn't had any identification and you were ILLEGAL, you would have felt afraid of being stopped.

Bottom line: Only those who have no legitimacy being in the United States will have a serious problem with laws changing. THEY have something to worry about.

If I was in a non-white country LEGALLY, I would simply carry papers with me stating that I was there legally. It wouldn't be a problem for any authorities to stop me to verify my being there. If I moved to a non-white country, I would carry papers with me as well. Why would it be a problem to carry proper papers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies