Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Your statement doesn't pass the 'law & order' smell test. You ignore the presumption of innocence, due process, and the fact none of the acts you mention are capital offenses.
It seems that only "capital offenses" are criminal. Things like arson, assault, and interfering with the fireman trying to extinguish a fire are like,..uh,...jaywalking.

Holy cow!!!! What a steaming shoveful of horse manure!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I find it very hard to feel any sympathy for the "protesters' of the 60's and 70's. I was on the other end of them, watching them spit at my Father when he returned from Viet Nam, because he wore his uniform through the airport. Listening to their shrill screaming about 'baby killing' and other things I can't write here. Waving their peace signs, running about in filthy rags of clothes, I see them pretty clear in my minds eye to this day. I hated them then, more than I can put into words, and I still carry a fair amount of that anger and hatred still. And why should people like me not feel that way? Whay should we weep for Kent State and the other cracked skulls of the poor 'protesters' and filthy hippies who thought it was their 'right' to spew hatred and violence while preaching peace and love? I was 6 years old when Dad came home from his last tour, and the above mentioned rodents turned what should have been the best day of our lives into something black and ugly. Maybe we should all move on from it, but, it seems that neither side can let it die. So be it, as long as I see and hear people defending the 'protesters' and the 'peace movement' I will hold on to my anger and hatred of the same. I loved my Father then, they hated him, I miss him more than I can say now that he's gone, and still they would desecrate his memory. Hatred, anger, and longing for those who were lost to us because of that bloody war cuts two ways. I will live with my pain from it, the 'peace movement' can live with theirs. Stay out of my face and I'll stay out of theirs. Cross the line, wherever that may be, and I'll spout off, or whatever other action be appropriate to sooth my own emotions. Signed....Proud Son of an American Combat Veteran...Viet Nam, and Korea. Rest In Peace.

I'm also the proud son of an American combat veteran, more than 50 combat missions in WW II. One of the things he was told was he was fighting so his son wouldn't have to.

Why should my anger not be directed towards those who sent my generation off to a useless, unecessary, ill-planned war of choice that was doomed from the start, being a fight that wasn't ours and where there was nothing to gain?

I never hated those who were lost, I hated those who put them in position to be lost, I will until the day I die.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I find it very hard to feel any sympathy for the "protesters' of the 60's and 70's. I was on the other end of them, watching them spit at my Father when he returned from Viet Nam, because he wore his uniform through the airport. Listening to their shrill screaming about 'baby killing' and other things I can't write here. Waving their peace signs, running about in filthy rags of clothes, I see them pretty clear in my minds eye to this day. I hated them then, more than I can put into words, and I still carry a fair amount of that anger and hatred still. And why should people like me not feel that way? Whay should we weep for Kent State and the other cracked skulls of the poor 'protesters' and filthy hippies who thought it was their 'right' to spew hatred and violence while preaching peace and love? I was 6 years old when Dad came home from his last tour, and the above mentioned rodents turned what should have been the best day of our lives into something black and ugly. Maybe we should all move on from it, but, it seems that neither side can let it die. So be it, as long as I see and hear people defending the 'protesters' and the 'peace movement' I will hold on to my anger and hatred of the same. I loved my Father then, they hated him, I miss him more than I can say now that he's gone, and still they would desecrate his memory. Hatred, anger, and longing for those who were lost to us because of that bloody war cuts two ways. I will live with my pain from it, the 'peace movement' can live with theirs. Stay out of my face and I'll stay out of theirs. Cross the line, wherever that may be, and I'll spout off, or whatever other action be appropriate to sooth my own emotions. Signed....Proud Son of an American Combat Veteran...Viet Nam, and Korea. Rest In Peace.
....you are not alone.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
It seems that only "capital offenses" are criminal. Things like arson, assault, and interfering with the fireman trying to extinguish a fire are like,..uh,...jaywalking.

Holy cow!!!! What a steaming shoveful of horse manure!!!

So, you believe people should just be executed when they appear to be commiting a crime, no arrest, no trial, no jury? Try reading, IF your're capable. I NEVER said only capital offenses are criminal. I said the American system allegedly doesn't execute people without benefit of trial, especially for non-capital offenses.

I believe your concept of 'justice' is the load of steaming manure here

Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM

425 posts, read 366,875 times
You know how many massacres there have been on US soil since Wounded Knee ? Kent state was a bloody nose to a bunch of kids that should have studied history and realized they weren't going to chain Leviathan with love and protest. That's probably for another thread but hey people Kent State should be a lesson to steer clear of armed soldiers. They were killing in Nam why not kill a few kids to make a point ? A day infamy so say so many? Heads up sheeple we now have a military that is trained for occupation and crowd control. A miltary that is expected to be able to fire on US citizens. Yall might want to see who's been training police for the past few years .Cop's have been morphing into soldiers for some time. Welcome to the jungle. Those gardening centers at Home depots in fact are perfect for holding prisoners in a state of Emergency. Rex 84

Last edited by Rabbi Dakota; 05-04-2010 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
I'm also the proud son of an American combat veteran, more than 50 combat missions in WW II. One of the things he was told was he was fighting so his son wouldn't have to.

Why should my anger not be directed towards those who sent my generation off to a useless, unecessary, ill-planned war of choice that was doomed from the start, being a fight that wasn't ours and where there was nothing to gain?

I never hated those who were lost, I hated those who put them in position to be lost, I will until the day I die.
It's a free country...for now. I'm not telling you I am right and you are wrong, just how it all looks from my front porch. Direct your anger and hatred at who you will, and I will do the same. I have made it abundantly clear where my stick floats, you have done the same. Nothing has changed about either of us in 40 years, nor is it likely to. This is the way of things I feel no guilt over hating those who spit on my Fathers service and sacrifice, regardless of who's fault the war was, they were the ones who made the impression on my memory. Vent your spleen where you will, we both made up our minds about that quite a spell back methinks.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So, you believe people should just be executed when they appear to be commiting a crime, no arrest, no trial, no jury? Try reading, IF your're capable. I NEVER said only capital offenses are criminal. I said the American system allegedly doesn't execute people without benefit of trial, especially for non-capital offenses.

I believe your concept of 'justice' is the load of steaming manure here
Executed???

Give me a freakin' break!!!

Your term,...not mine. Sometimes lawbreakers are killed in the line of duty.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The guard opened fire on unarmed students on a college campus.
I know a little about the situation.
Wanna see my yearbook?
I was at the University of Pittsburgh when the Kent State shootings happened, about 100 miles away. One of the dead was from Pittsburgh. We heard about it for weeks on end. Very, very bad time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes, I remember the day well. I was in junior high school. It is very hard to explain how 'dark' the climate of the country was then. It is pretty much all 'sweetness and light' now, compared to those years. For people of college age now - try to imagine what it would be like to be regarded as the 'enemy' by your parents and grandparents.
In fairness, I don't think parents regarded their own kids as "the enemy". My brother and I had very different views than our parents, and my bro. was a protestor at Penn State, but our parents always supported us. Our grandparents were long dead by then.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 PM

41 posts, read 22,022 times
Very strange that some seem to lay the blame on the people who died. Listen, anyone can protest. It's not against the law & in fact, I'd like to say it's part of the culture of our country...it should be something to be proud of.
No one should have to die for standing up for what they believe in & especially they shouldn't have to die at the hands of our own military in our own country. Those people on that day were only standing up for what they believe in....just like the tea party people have been doing. Is anyone in favor of any sort of violence against them?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Fist of all, the spitting stuff has never been proven. There are threads around here on the topic.
Check it out before you say it was true.
Why were the VVAW (Vietnam Veterans against the war) protesting. Revisionist history doesn't make it so.
Stay out of your face, you don't want peace?
I hope you sign up for the wars now since they're such a good thing.
But thanks for the drivel from when you weren't even born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies