Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Wow, quite the leap in logic.

I'm stating that if he is being charged with war crimes, or crimes against humanity an iraqi kangaroo court is a dumb place to try him and the ICC is the appropriate place.
Do the Iraqis not have the right to try their own criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
What would have happened if we didn't? That is the question. It's like the man who comes home to see his wife still in bed and the house overrun with mess and the kids tearing up everything. He looks at his wife and she says ---"remember when you come home and ask me what I did all day? Well today I didn't do it."

If Bush had done nothing what would have happened? I don't think you really want to know. Saddam was protecting terrorists if nothing else. Should America have done nothing and sit back to see what would happen? I guess our government can take that position and to some degree Obama is so we will just wait to see what happens.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do the Iraqis not have the right to try their own criminals?
Are you stating that Saddam had only committed crimes against Iraqis?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Exclamation Obtuse alert

Quote:
Are you stating that Saddam has only committed crimes against Iraqis?
I'll ask again and maybe you will respond with an answer and not another question.

The Iraqi's had no right to try and sentence Saddam?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'll ask again and maybe you will respond with an answer and not another question.

The Iraqi's had no right to try and sentence Saddam?
Depends on whether international courts had the opportunity to do so as well. When you INVADE a country to nab a dude then you kind of blow your "state sovereignty" excuse. It also depends on the validity of the puppet government a nation sets in place.

It is very difficult to gauge justice when the jury is biased, isn't it?

Now, how about you answer the question from the previous post. Are there other nations that he had committed crimes against, or only the Iraqis. In the case that you do believe this, do you think those groups should have had the opportunity to seek justice as well?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM

8,891 posts, read 5,369,571 times
We did not hang Saddam. An Iraqi court tried him and sentenced him to death.

Do you have a problem with what an Iraqi court did? Should we have tried him? If we had would we then be hearing complaints that we didn't let Iraq handle it?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Depends on whether international courts had the opportunity to do so as well. When you INVADE a country to nab a dude then you kind of blow your "state sovereignty" excuse. It also depends on the validity of the puppet government a nation sets in place.

It is very difficult to gauge justice when the jury is biased, isn't it?

Now, how about you answer the question from the previous post. Are there other nations that he had committed crimes against, or only the Iraqis. In the case that you do believe this, do you think those groups should have had the opportunity to seek justice as well?

Iraqi's can try their own, just as we do here.
The rest of your post is secondary to that fact or arguing the hypothetical for the sake of it.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Iraqi's can try their own, just as we do here.
The rest of your post is secondary to that fact or arguing the hypothetical for the sake of it.
Answer the question dodge king.

Did Saddam commit crimes against other countries, or not?

None of this is a hypothetical, if there are hypotheticals I would like you to point it out instead of being intellectually dishonest per the usual.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
We did not hang Saddam. An Iraqi court tried him and sentenced him to death.
An Iraqi court system and government that was built on the premise of him being a criminal, represents the majority (and now winning) populace in the Shia-Sunni tussle (throw in Kurds as well)... only a simpleton would expect a different outcome. What was our involvement though? Nothing?

Many of the criminal acts he was charged with, weren't a big deal for Reagan when he was actually committing them. May be that is why WE didn't hang him and had no role to play in it?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Answer the question dodge king.

Did Saddam commit crimes against other countries, or not?

None of this is a hypothetical, in which case I would like you to point it out instead of being intellectually dishonest per the usual.
I answered it, maybe you don't understand so well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies