Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Being it was "secret" how do you know about it?
I'm guessing too partisan to even be remotely objective. It's like the Cold War never existed to these ideologues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Seriously i wonder sometimes why did we invade Iraq? I got a friend who is paralyzed from that weapons of mass destruction war and I constantly wonder what was Bush's desposition?

Maybe this will help you out.

Halabja poison gas attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Halabja poison gas attack (Kurdish: Kîmyabarana Helebce) was a genocide massacre that took place on March 16, 1988, during the closing days of the Iran-Iraq War, when chemical weapons were used by the Iraqi government forces in the Kurdish town of Halabja in Iraqi Kurdistan. The attack quickly killed thousands of people (around 5,000 dead) and injured around 11,000, most of them civilians;[1][2] thousands more died of complications, diseases, and birth defects in the years after the attack.[3] The incident, which has been officially defined as an act of genocide against the Kurdish people in Iraq,[4] is the largest chemical weapons attack directed against a civilian-populated area in history.[5]"

This is why the Iraqi's executed Saddam.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Seeing as I've lived in the South for a long time maybe he just needed killin'.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Maybe this will help you out.

Halabja poison gas attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Halabja poison gas attack (Kurdish: Kîmyabarana Helebce) was a genocide massacre that took place on March 16, 1988, during the closing days of the Iran-Iraq War, when chemical weapons were used by the Iraqi government forces in the Kurdish town of Halabja in Iraqi Kurdistan. The attack quickly killed thousands of people (around 5,000 dead) and injured around 11,000, most of them civilians;[1][2] thousands more died of complications, diseases, and birth defects in the years after the attack.[3] The incident, which has been officially defined as an act of genocide against the Kurdish people in Iraq,[4] is the largest chemical weapons attack directed against a civilian-populated area in history.[5]"

This is why the Iraqi's executed Saddam.
However, the "source" of the materials used in the chemical weapons attack was from America, Britain and Germany.

Funny how the little details always get left behind.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Seriously i wonder sometimes why did we invade Iraq? I got a friend who is paralyzed from that weapons of mass destruction war and I constantly wonder what was Bush's desposition?
Do you really want to know why? Here ya go:

YouTube - President Clinton orders attack on Iraq

Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
However, the "source" of the materials used in the chemical weapons attack was from America, Britain and Germany.

Funny how the little details always get left behind.

So let me get this straight when soemone gets killed with an American made weapon it is America's fault? Wow there is no lengths the left will not go in order to blame America. Well done!

It would also be nice if you would source your allegations. We are waiting.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Saddam Hussein was a right bastard but he was not killed for any of his attacks and atrocities in Iraq. He was killed because he threatened GHW Bush and his son wanted both to teach a lesson to the rest of the world’s leaders and personal revenge. INHO the Iraq war is about the shrubs need for revenge and control of the Iraqi oil fields.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So let me get this straight when soemone gets killed with an American made weapon it is America's fault? Wow there is no lengths the left will not go in order to blame America. Well done!

It would also be nice if you would source your allegations. We are waiting.

Joyce Battle, (Middle East analyst at the National Security Archive at George Washington University) stated while there was nothing supporting the use of CW from the US Government, the "U.S. awareness of Iraq's chemical warfare did not deter it from initiating the policy of providing intelligence and military assistance to Iraq. Shipments of chemical weapons precursors from several U.S. companies to Iraq happened during the 1980s, but the U.S. government would deny that it was aware that these exports were intended to be used in the production of chemical weapons".

You can read all about it (Shaking Hands with Saddam Hussein)

or just look at some of the details (from 1980-84) below.

We knew about the daily use of them in the early 80's. (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq24.pdf). It wasn't until Iran complained to the UN. We changed our song (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq25.pdf) a bit, at least to the UN.

The State Department later instructs the U.S. delegate to the United Nations to get the support of other Western missions for a motion of "no decision" regarding Iran's draft resolution condemning Iraq's use of chemical weapons. Failing that, the U.S. is to abstain on the resolution.

We even considered providing nuclear items (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq57.pdf) to them (by allowing duel purpose items). for non-military use.

A US State department document assessing that Iraq recieved CW from western sources possibly a US company (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq25.pdf).

While we later hold up a shipment of items to them, we state that we will condem their use and acquisition later (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq42.pdf). When we do finally condem the use, we put the blame of the actions of Iran.

The US seem to know all, but had no issue with the government of Iraq (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq58.pdf)

We later state Iraq's chemical weapons use will not change U.S. interest in pursuing closer U.S.-Iraq relations.( http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq52.pdf)

Last edited by plannine; 05-05-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:

Click on this link. It breaks down the "intelligence" that got us there. WARNING...it will **** you off.

WMD in Iraq: Evidence and Implications - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Y
Since no WMDs were found in Iraq and we invaded under false pretenses maybe the US courts should try the previous administration. See how both that and your post are equally stupid?
False pretenses?

The State Department's Bureau of International Organization Affairs
issued a fact sheet March 20 detailing Saddam Hussein's defiance of
United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCRs) over the past 12
years.
According to the fact sheet, Iraq has violated over 17 UNSCRs, remains
in material breach of disarmament obligations, and has sought to
circumvent economic sanctions.

State Department Details Saddam's Defiance of U.N. Resolutions

The bottom line is an evil dictator who was oppressing his people is out of power. That is always a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies